Anyone else panicking over Thanksgiving???

Options
2»

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    my dysfunctional family are making their once a year visit for turkey day, so of course Im not going to over eat, but..........

I made sure I had 2 bottles of extra wine to get thru it................ , I just love the holidays..............Lloyd
  • PreciousMissy
    Options
    Nah, it's one day. If anything I'll only gain 1-2lb, or not lose that week. If I can't handle Thanksgiving this year what am I going to do, skip it for the rest of my life? haha!

My problem is the days surrounding Thanksgiving. I'll be on the road eating fast food, or eating at my family's. They don't cook the same way I do...everything is smothered, covered, or fried. I'm going to take a cooler full of veggies and fruit to keep in the hotel.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Not even a little bit worried. I plan to enjoy Thanksgiving and enjoy Christmas.

This is what I will change though: Christmas treats will be consumed ON Christmas, not for three weeks prior and one week after. Thanksgiving food will be enjoyed for ONE meal, not for an additional 9pm snack with pumpkin pie for breakfast the next day.

I refuse to make lower calorie versions of Thanksgiving food. What I can do is eat less of it :)
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    No worries here. I plan to eat what I want that day - but exercise my butt off the day before and the next day (some of which will be fighting crowds at the black friday sales). One day won't hurt.
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not at all... I plan on eating everything I want, but in moderation. I also will work my *kitten* off that week :glasses:
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating massive quantities, and getting back on track the next day

lmao -- sounds like plan!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Halloween I was more nervous about since the candy lingers. Thanksgiving is just one day. No worries!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Not worried at all. I'm having thanksgiving at my parents' house, and I don't keep things that don't belong on my diet at my house. Thanksgiving is my first planned cheat day since I started losing weight, and I'm gonna enjoy every hour of it. Sure I'll weigh a few more pounds the next day, but it took years to gain the weight I'm trying to lose, and one day isn't going to balloon me up again. :D

^this! i'm going to enjoy every minute of it ....and we always take a walk before and/or after thanksgiving anyway!
  • I am doing the Turkey Trot 5k that morning, so I will start my day that way. Red wine will fill my glass but in moderation! Luckily it is one day - allow yourself to enjoy in moderation then get back on track the next day!

Happy Holidays!!!

exercise.png
  • judykritikos
    Options
    Great substitutions. You can work out that morning - and that'll give you a few hundred calories there. I love to walk after dinner's worn off - and that's more cals there.
    I will NOT gorge on pie, cake, cookies, etc - because 1 cookie is 100 calories and it takes too dang long to work off 100 cals.
    Eat sensibly - 4-5 bites of everything, eat slowly. For dessert - eat something you like - but go for the one w/ the fewest calories, and eat a small portion.
    I could eat a HUGE 2,000 calorie meal, but my frame of mine is "LivingLean" - so when I freak out over the abundance of See's incredibly delicions chocolates meant TO DIE FOR - I stop thinking of the future, stay in the "NOW", and will make my choice when the box is in front of me. I've resisted for 2 months and got thru Halloween, so I think I'll make it thru by staying the course.
    Good luck.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am not worried about it either. I will be on a family trip to another state with no one around but the wife and my kids. We will be staying in a hotel and will be going out to eat somewhere plus have the gym in the hotel. Thats my plan and I hope I am sticking to it!!!
  • vernie87wb
    vernie87wb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm deffinitely not worried. I HAVE to have cheat days or I go crazy. I don't plan on having one until Thansgivin, and then not another one until Christmas. I will gain a couple pounds over it, but I'll get over it and be back on track in no time.
  • ccarpe
    ccarpe Posts: 118
    Options
    Nope. I'm gonna eat what I want and enjoy the day. One day is not going to torpedo months of hard work.

^^ yep this
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating massive quantities, and getting back on track the next day

Right on!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried. Thanksgiving will be at my house. Everything I cook will be vegan (unless I cannot get someone else to do the turkey - I'm the only vegan/vegetarian in the family - if not, I will cook the turkey).

Over the past few years, another SIL (not veg) has requested "plain" veggies rather than everything in cheese or some kind of fattening sauce. We also have a big green salad, but a nice one with lots of stuff in it, not just an iceberg lettuce/tomato/cuke kind of salad.

Last year I did a warm Brussels sprout salad that was absolutely delicious. We make a fresh cranberry relish and the sugar is easily reduced in that and lots of vitamin C. My girls eat that with a spoon.

I probably have it easy - if it's not vegan, I am not tempted to eat it. If I want to make a yummy gooey dessert but don't want the calories myself, I just make a nonvegan one and I have no desire to even taste it.

I think the key is portion control. Provide a dish or two of yummy food that everyone will love and you know will not blow your diet. Then have TASTES of the higher calorie things. Just a bit or two of everything on our Thanksgiving table would fill the largest of stomachs!

Oh - and for dessert, while there is always decadent desserts, there is always a fresh fruit salad and THAT generally disappears first.
  • I'm not worried. Thanksgiving will be at my house. Everything I cook will be vegan (unless I cannot get someone else to do the turkey - I'm the only vegan/vegetarian in the family - if not, I will cook the turkey).

Over the past few years, another SIL (not veg) has requested "plain" veggies rather than everything in cheese or some kind of fattening sauce. We also have a big green salad, but a nice one with lots of stuff in it, not just an iceberg lettuce/tomato/cuke kind of salad.

Last year I did a warm Brussels sprout salad that was absolutely delicious. We make a fresh cranberry relish and the sugar is easily reduced in that and lots of vitamin C. My girls eat that with a spoon.

I probably have it easy - if it's not vegan, I am not tempted to eat it. If I want to make a yummy gooey dessert but don't want the calories myself, I just make a nonvegan one and I have no desire to even taste it.

I think the key is portion control. Provide a dish or two of yummy food that everyone will love and you know will not blow your diet. Then have TASTES of the higher calorie things. Just a bit or two of everything on our Thanksgiving table would fill the largest of stomachs!

Oh - and for dessert, while there is always decadent desserts, there is always a fresh fruit salad and THAT generally disappears first.

I also make fresh cranberry relish and my daughters eat it up as well!!! I have been making healthy dishes at all the Thanksgivings that I host for the past few years. There was some resistance at first, but now they have all come to love it and expect it.
    I would love your brussel sprout salad recipe if you still have it. I love brussel sprouts!