Running in the cold!?

Options
Okay, so I'm a baby with cold weather (I live in Phoenix) It recently dropped about 30 degrees though here and running in the evening has my lungs burning and my throat cold. Any advice? I already wear leggings or sweats and long sleeves.

Replies

• Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also interested in the replys. Thanks for putting the question out there :)
  • Really be sure to wear a hat that covers your ears or a hooded sweatshirt. It is more so of a get use to thing.
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump- Im from Minnesota and its the same here
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing clothes that wick away the sweat? If not I'd recommend it. Even though it's cold you still sweat and if you don't wick it away you will feel colder. Also, how about a had on your head. You lose a lot of warmth from your head, so wearing a hat should help!
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    cough drop before helps with your lungs.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    looking for tips on running in bad weather too!!

except it gets below zero and lots of snow where i live ! what am i going to do?!
  • skinney1357
    Options
    I just experienced this today too, I bought a wicking jacket and use gloves and a sweatband or beanie. My hands are the only things that stay really cold. I chew gum too to help with the lungs. I think your lungs will adjust and we will all get use to it!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    LOL @ "cold" in Phoenix
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    LOL @ "cold" in Phoenix

Ha, me too.

I wear gloves, and a headband to keep my ears warm. Your body will warm up once you start running, so you don't need to overdress.
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    try to cover your mouth or something coz yea it does hurt to breath in cold air
  • faithog
    Options
    I live out west too- what is up with this cold weather?!

On my recent runs, I've made sure to wear a warm band over my ears and I bring a bandanna to cover my nose/ mouth with until I get warmed up. Also- I spend extra time warming up at the house before I take off. I stretch my feet really well and wear a thin pair of knee socks with a regular pair of socks over them.

I also like taking room temp water with me (versus the cooold water I love running with during the spring/ summer/ fall).
    Good luck!
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I ran through a winter in Minneapolis....best advice is, get good gloves, a WINDPROOF hat or headband that totally covers your ears, really light wicking underlayer and another midweight layer on top. You won't believe how much heat your body generates after a mile or two! 30 degrees (without snow/ice underfoot) is a piece of cake. Just worry about the parts that get chilly in the wind, and wear reflective stuff/lights since it's probably dark when you're running.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry but I'm in the same situation.
    I actually looked in here for some tips.
    Luckily, I have a treadmill but it gets kinda boring.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought a gaiter, to cover my neck, mouth and nose while I run.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Try a scarf or neck wrap that you can cover your mouth/nose at the start of your run. It nicely warms the air you breath and works like a charm. Ear muffs or a hat are a must too.

After you warm up a bit you may no longer need it. Works for me in cold weather (I'm a baby about cold too!)
  • jgsinfw
    jgsinfw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hat definitely - preferably something that wicks, but if not, get something that is artificial fiber and not "knit" style so that when you sweat, it runs down your neck instead of soaking through the hat and letting your head get cold.

Gloves should also be wicking - those are what I use in northern Indiana where I was running at 40 degrees last week. Beyond that, layers help.

Finally, I wear something that is artificial fiber over the tee shirt and sweatshirt so that when those get soaked through, the wind does not find its way to the sweat. I may upgrade to nicer running things (wicking sweats) as a reward for dropping some more weight.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    LOL @ "cold" in Phoenix

Sorry but I laughed a little too. I live in Wisconsin its been in 40s outside when I'm running. But seriously, get a hat, wicking clothes, and look into body armour to wear under your clothes. I also have some light gloves that usually come off half way through my run.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Living in Michigan I know all about running in COLD weather. Wear moisture wicking clothing and wear layers. Wear something to cover your nose/mouth.... preferably moisture wicking so it doesn't bulid up moisture from your exhalation. Warm up before you go out. Try not to think about the cold!