Drinking instead of eating

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can give up sweets, but thank you for the suggestion. I get nutrients from my actual food, although I can honestly not afford fruit on a regular basis anymore (a baby watermelon is $15 here).
    If you don't think you CAN give up sweets even for a little while it sound like you are addicted to sugar.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can give up sweets, but thank you for the suggestion. I get nutrients from my actual food, although I can honestly not afford fruit on a regular basis anymore (a baby watermelon is $15 here).
    If you don't think you CAN give up sweets even for a little while it sound like you are addicted to sugar.

Um...duh? LOL I don't really care that I am addicted to sugar. I love it, it makes me happy, and I live an otherwise healthy life :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I try not to drink too many calories, because it doesn't fill me up
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

I also used to get the 4/5 pm munchies ALWAYS after work, and had this ridiculous habit of filling the car up on the way home and buying chocolate and crisps to eat every day !?!

I now have tea or sometimes low calories hot chocolate at 4pm instead and if I am really hungry I will have a piece of fruit too.

So far it's worked and I can't imagine my daily trips to the petrol station ever happening again :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I try not to drink too many calories, because it doesn't fill me up

Thank you! >.<
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    Absolutely.

I also used to get the 4/5 pm munchies ALWAYS after work, and had this ridiculous habit of filling the car up on the way home and buying chocolate and crisps to eat every day !?!

I now have tea or sometimes low calories hot chocolate at 4pm instead and if I am really hungry I will have a piece of fruit too.

So far it's worked and I can't imagine my daily trips to the petrol station ever happening again :)

Thank you for sharing! My dorm this year is by two malls...each mall has a grocery store...with lots of candies and pastries ^^ I hope I can become as strong as you :)
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i wont replace with just teas or waters because i will get hungrier after it has passed through. So when i get to having a crappy week or so and i want to shrink my stomach down again i will drink smoothies!
  • claireliston
    Options
    I really need help with Breakfast .... for too many years now I have gone without breakfast. But, now that I'm starting my diet and exercise regime I am trying to eat breakfast every day, but unfortunately I don't like milk so am unable to have cereals, and am getting fed up with eggs (boiled/scrambled/poached) .... any ideas please? Thanks
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I really need help with Breakfast .... for too many years now I have gone without breakfast. But, now that I'm starting my diet and exercise regime I am trying to eat breakfast every day, but unfortunately I don't like milk so am unable to have cereals, and am getting fed up with eggs (boiled/scrambled/poached) .... any ideas please? Thanks

Whole grain toast with some natural peanut butter (or just half a PB sandwich). Very filling and yummy and quick!

Do you not do any dairy, or just milk? Sometimes a yogurt and a piece of fruit is good for me, or a hot cereal. I like some oat bran made with light soy milk (1/4 cup oat bran to 1 cup milk or water) with a little cinnamon, brown sugar and peanut butter for some fat and protein. Yum!

OP -- I won't give up sugar, either! I've cut way back and replaced some refined sugar desserts most days with smoothies and other healthy alternatives, but every once in a while, I want a freaking piece of cheesecake! lol
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

two pieces of toast, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and a banana sliced in half, and then sliced long ways on top of that. that is my go to breakfast. can even be made the night before and kept in the fridge cold if you don't want to make it in the morning.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love hot herbal tea as an alternative to snacking. I drink it in the evenings after dinner and it definately makes my tummy feel good and my body relaxed and ready for bed. I like that you can sip it slowly. It doesn't always work but the slow sipping can fool me into thinking it might be a glass of wine or a cocktail ;)

I don't work regular hours anymore but when I did the 9-5 gig, I really liked to have peppermint or lemon tea at about 3 in the afternoon. They are both natural pick me ups instead of cruzing what's left on the morning snack table and a coffee with cream and sugar. I still have my calorie loaded coffee but only in the morning.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When i opened this i thought you meant alcohol.. I was like YOU HAVE ISSUES! Haha but thats a good idea :)
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I started doing this and so far so good. I used to get home from work and eat a bowl of ice cream, have some banana bread, eat a bunch of chips, and it was getting out of control. I bought 2 boxes of herbal (decaffinated) teas and with the cooler weather here, it actually helps me relax more and I find it easier to fall asleep at night. I will also have a pouch of swiss miss hot chocolate with marshmallows if I have to spare calories. That way it feels like a treat with the right amount of calories.

Yeah i do the hot chocolate with whipped cream and a tsp of sugar.........SO delicious ....150 cals and I really feel good about it.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have done the exact same thing and I find it very effective! I sweeten my tea just a little to make it feel like a treat and it fills me up a bit AND hydrates me (and no, caffeine does NOT dehydrate you: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50654 ). If I'm drinking, I'm not eating. Personal rule of mine that helps me feel full longer.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to about saving your calories for the bar and then getting sloppy drinking on an empty stomach. I do that.
  • brutalbrie
    Options
    If I want to eat something I do not need, I just chug back a glass or two of water which subsides the cravings
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie in the morning and drink it throughout the day when i need a pick me up :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find herbal teas are a great (calorie free) distraction when I'm bored and ready to snack mindlessly.
    Go for it.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I thought this was going to about saving your calories for the bar and then getting sloppy drinking on an empty stomach. I do that.

It COULD be haha :wink:

I just wanted to update that I avoided A FEW pastry shops today...even though they were going on sale since it was night time when I returned home! I could smell them...but I instead bought powdered milk tea ^o^

I felt really accomplished >.<
  • Beastiephile
    Options
    My curse is that I am insatiable in the morning, even after eating a big breakfast. Can you believe I used to eat 3 breakfasts? I've started drinking a cup of hot tea with splenda after I eat, and that holds me over for a long time.