Is it possible?

Options
I have recently started wearing a heart rate monitor and doing intervals on the treadmill for 20 minutes. My heart rate monitor is telling me I am burning over 200 calories and my treadmill is telling me more. 200 seems like a lot! Is it possible it's right? I put my age and weight in. I don't feel comfortable adding that much to my diary. Thanks for your time in advance

Replies

• bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Burning 10 calories per minute if you're getting down to business isn't unreasonable at all.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I will usually burn a little over 100 calories per every 10 minutes on elliptical, arc trainer, stair climber. At least that’s what the machines say. So yea, I’d say 200 for 20 mins is about right!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    5-10 cals per minute is typical
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For me on the treadmill, @150 lbs, I burn roughly 5 cal/minute walking, and 10 cal/minute running. But I don't run fast :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you only put age and weight in, it's going to be no more accurate then the tread mill. For a truly accurate HRM estimation, you need to be able to enter age, weight, height, gender.

I also have an HRM and for a 56 minute walking interval program I burn about 470-490 calories.. a thirty minute interval program and I burn about 230-300. I have a Polar FT7 HRM is that helps at all.
  • oceanerin
    oceanerin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • oceanerin
    oceanerin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So do you add all your calories burned to your diary or do you cut yourself short like I do to keep myself from eating more?