C25K, what are your speeds

Options
I started C25K recently. I just completed week 3 day 1.
My question, what speed do you walk and run?

I am walking between 3 and 3.5 mph and running between 5 and 6 mph.

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty good, as long as you are able to keep it up. When I hit the longer runs, my run speed dropped to about 4.0 - 4.5mph.
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine is about the same. 3.5 walking and 5.0-5.5 running.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    before hurting my hip...I was walking at 3.4 and jogging at 4.2...3 miles takes me about 45 minutes...fasted time was 42 minutes outside (no idea what my speeds were except for the average)
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    How do you know what speed you run?
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    How do you know what speed you run?

Because they are doing it via treadmill as I am . . . I am trying to jog at 4.0 and walk at 3.5.. some nights that is 3.0 and 3.5. . depending on how hard I have worked out prior to running.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started walking at 3.5 to 4, and jogging at 5, bumping up to 5.5 by the end, inched up to 6mph.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh! Im doing it in the great outdoors...
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    KatieCuth, If you want to track yourself outdoors, there are smartphone apps with GPS that will measure your time, speed and track your route. I use RunKeeper for iphone and it's great!
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh! Im doing it in the great outdoors...

Me too. I figure about 10.5-12 minutes/mile
  • jvmay1703
    jvmay1703 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.1 and run at 4.7. Sometimes in the end if I run slower it is harder. Seems like it is easier to run at 4.8ish....Good luck. I am on week 4 thinking I may have to repeat.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you answers. It looks like the speeds I'm doing is the norm. I am trying to increase my speeds a little with each day, but as the jogs get longer I may not be able to do that.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    according to nike+, my average for the year is like 14'15"/mile
    right now it's hovering around 13 min/mile
    fastest was 11 something.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I walk around 4 mph... I can't run less than about 6.5 mph. My body wants to move a bit over 7.
    I get all out of rhythm if I try to jog 5-6 mph. Maybe it's because of my long legs.

I'm on week 2. (Did week 1 twice.) No history of running, I didn't even run from couch to fridge before.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I walk around 4 mph... I can't run less than about 6.5 mph. My body wants to move a bit over 7.
    I get all out of rhythm if I try to jog 5-6 mph. Maybe it's because of my long legs.

I'm on week 2. (Did week 1 twice.) No history of running, I didn't even run from couch to fridge before.

Good luck with the app, I am on week 3.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3 and run at 4. My treadmill can do intervals in between, but it's more of a hassle setting it.
  • campbellcjdm
    Options
    KatieCuth, If you want to track yourself outdoors, there are smartphone apps with GPS that will measure your time, speed and track your route. I use RunKeeper for iphone and it's great!

do you have an iphone? my gps does not seem to work with RunKeeper - am i doing something wrong?
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options

do you have an iphone? my gps does not seem to work with RunKeeper - am i doing something wrong?
    Some iPhone apps are "LITE" and you have to purchase the GPS module/version separately.
    I use Nike+, was like $1.99 and had GPS built in.