Metabolism Plateau?

Options
Clinno
Clinno Posts: 123 Member
G'day everyone, I am on to my 23rd day straight and don't get me wrong I have been going very well losing 6 kilos in the first 21 days, but I am struggling to eat as much as I need this week as I am on afternoon shift (I change shifts every week between Day, Night & Arvos) and my weight loss has come to a grinding holt, wich I am guessing is because I am not eating enough to fuel my metabolism but I am just not hungry at midnight when I get home from work as I would be on other shifts. Maybe I should force myself to eat a bit more at work? I do plenty of exercise but maybe I should ramp it up some more? and I try to eat meabolism boosting foods. Just thought someone might be able to give me some advice?

Cheers, Clinno :)

Replies

• k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    RUN FOREST RUN! Do sprints. Run 5 miles. Shake up your exercise routine.
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    I hit a plateau in September. I could not lose 1 pound for 3 weeks. Then my body just dropped 2 pounds in a week.

I did ride my bike vigoriously 3 days in a row and I drank lots of weight and watched my sodium intake.

keep on keeping on, you body will kick in and you will continue to lose.

Don't give up.

Congrats on your success! You are a winner!

Claire
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Chances are that your body is getting used to your eating/exercise routine.

Try to switch it up! Lift weights more often. Eat a different macro combination. Do intervals instead of steady-state cardio. :)

(Just a few suggestions, you obviously don't have to do ALL of that.)
  • chooselifegail1
    Options
    sorry to seem dumb but what is macro combination please thanks
  • hush7hush
    Options
    sorry to seem dumb but what is macro combination please thanks

That was the only term I could think of to say it.

Basically your macro ratios, I guess.

Carbs/Fats/Proteins.
  • Clinno
    Clinno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow, This community continues to surprise me! such constructive and useful feedback, thank you all :) I will keep faith and throw a few spikes at my eating/exercise routine. Time to invest in some runners, I have only been walking (Lots) because I only ever wear skateboarding shoes or chucks.

12024964.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks again peeps, Clinno
  • hush7hush
    Options
    I live in Vans, so I can relate. :D
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I am a graduate student studying biochemistry. I recently took a course on metabolism and what is going on in our bodies with what we eat (really interesting to the nerd in me!!). Macro is short for Macronutrients and refers to proteins, carbohydrates and fatty acids (aka fats). Your body needs all three and you should not completely eliminate any one. You will hit a point in your training where your body becomes more efficient at using the foods you eat. The suggest to change up the ratio isn't really valid. Your body digests carbs the easiest and uses them for many things. Fats are the next easiest for your body to digest. The hardest to digest is protein but for this reason will keep you fuller longer. You want to make sure you are choosing the right fuels for your workouts. If you are doing long distance or time you want slower-digesting fuels to supply energy over a longer period.

As far as not being hungry, it will be hard to make yourself eat at times when your body knows it shouldn't (usually after 8/9 at night and before 5/6). This is due to our circadian clock that is regulated by light. My best suggestion would be to try and eat something small (veggie or fruit) but if you are not hungry, don't force yourself to eat.