Losing Hope!

Options
Hi everyone! I am trying to stay motivated and upbeat but having a hard time. Two years ago I had the lap band surgery done. I lost about 70lbs but put about 25 back on after a nasty breakup. I went to my surgeon last week and he put me on Phentermine to get me over the plateu and back to losing. I've been on it a whole week now with no results. I am very discouraged. I have been sticking with my 1200 calories that he told me to stay at. No loss though... I am not currently working out because of a back injury but will in the near future. However, cutting back to 1200 calories I should be losing. I know I just need to keep doing what I am and stick with it but I am so upset with myself. I feel like I am doing everything wrong but I am following what the Doctor told me to do. Just need some words of wisdom I guess!!

Replies

• Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you done any walking or any type of exercise? Any movement should make the weight loss easier. Also, if you can find a buddy to walk with and do exercise, it makes it easier.
  • abirdy
    abirdy Posts: 36
    Options
    Just keep focused, follow the Dostors orders... and do not loose hope.. it will come, your body might need some adjusting to do.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having such a tough time of things. I do hope things do get better. Have you shown your DR your menu and have him evaluate it?
  • LisaDodson
    LisaDodson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't give up hope. You already know that nothing is instantaneous and that if you are following your doctor's directions, you are doing all you can. Just keep in there and you will eventually see those pounds dropping off.
  • bigtwagner
    Options
    All i can say is stick with it!!! In my opinion, this is the hardest thing about losing weight. I want everything to fall off in a matter of a couple days. stick with it and you will see results
  • acasner26
    acasner26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having such a tough time of things. I do hope things do get better. Have you shown your DR your menu and have him evaluate it?

Yeah I called the doctor today because I was so frustrated! When he called me back I told him what I was eating and he said to stop stressing about the pounds lost and just focus on eating the right way and things.... but I can't help but focus on the weight.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Yeah I called the doctor today because I was so frustrated! When he called me back I told him what I was eating and he said to stop stressing about the pounds lost and just focus on eating the right way and things.... but I can't help but focus on the weight.

He is spot on!
    Put away the scale and focus on eating well and get back to exercise when you are able to.
    I know we all want a quick fix, but weight loss doesn't work that way!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My opinion- phentermine sucks. For me I felt funny, agitated and didn't lose unless I ate almost nothing. Some people it works for. I did better with eating right and regular exercise. You might have an underlying health problem. You might not be eating the right food or enough. 1200 is a low amount of calories and after a while your body can adjust to run efficiently on it. Don't throw the towel in now. It took me years, another pregnancy, many methods and thousands of tears before I went "hey doc, check my thyroi."I well it's easier now that I figured that out and what works for me. You just have to give it time you and patience.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope. You're on the right track and just need to keep with it. That said here are a few ideas to help you along your way:

1. Are you weighing your food? If not, get a decent digital scale and start weighing it all. That alone will make a huge difference in your calories. There is a big disconnect in a lot of foods between what is a serving size, i.e.1/4C of nuts on the package should be 28 grams, but when you weigh a 1/4C it's RARELY 28 grams, but USUALLY a lot more!
    2. Make sure you're drinking your water
    3. Try to eat less processed foods. I try to eat what I call the perimeter of the store
    4. I know you can't do a lot of exercises but do what you can. I had back surgery 12 years ago and was like you. I went to a Physiatrist (an MD with a degree in physical therapy) and he recommended deep water aerobics. It got me from being unable to do much of anything to very active. I still do it now as I love it!
    5. Use this site and track your food and exercise. The more you use it the more you'll get out of it.

Wishing you much success!
  • mjgregg12
    Options
    I felt the same way in July, like my lapband let me down, but it was ME not using the amazing tool that is the lapband. I started doing everything the previous posters said to do. I also have amazing friends who are as in to fitness and nutrition as I am.

And, what is your protein intake? I do between 80 and 100 g a day! Also, publish your food diary...when other people are watching, it's amazing how you think twice about what you eat.

I have a food scale, it's the greatest thing, ever.

Ignore the scale, go for the way you feel, the way your clothes fit, watch the notches on your belt go down. I haven't weighed myself since July and I could care less. I look and feel great. Do not give up!