Measuring meat?

Options
I was told by my nutritionist to only eat 2 oz of protein with each meal.
I bought the smallest steak I could find and the label said it was 0.39 lbs.
How do I calculate that??

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    16 oz to the lb, so if it's .39 lbs:
    16 *.39 = 6.24 oz

So your little steak is 3 servings at ~ 2 oz per serving.
  • misstanyamarie
    misstanyamarie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Man...that is too hard to eat 2 oz of protein.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's about 6.24 ounces. A serving of meat is four ounces, so I would say just consume that or half of it if you're really confident in what your nutritionist is telling you.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sorry.....the title threw me a little :tongue:
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    just curious, why did he/she tell you to only eat 2 oz of protein, and what is your total calorie intake for a day?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - and what I am wondering is when you measure meat do you include everything (like bone) or just the meat. If I have lamb chops or something, do I weigh them and subtract some for the bone, or do I include the bone and say 200grams of lamb chops = x number of calories
    I hope this makes sense
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - and what I am wondering is when you measure meat do you include everything (like bone) or just the meat. If I have lamb chops or something, do I weigh them and subtract some for the bone, or do I include the bone and say 200grams of lamb chops = x number of calories
    I hope this makes sense

You're going for the meat weight only. One way I handle the bone issue is to weigh before I eat, and then weigh the bone and gristle that I didn't eat afterwards. In a while you'll be able to eyeball it and have a pretty good idea what 3-4 oz looks like.
  • misstanyamarie
    misstanyamarie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Background...I've had PCOS for years now. Prescribed Metformin, but I hate taking it and forget half of the time. See, I just had dinner and forgot to take it.
    I requested to see our Nutritionist because I don't know what to eat.
    She wants me to go on a 1200 calorie diet and eat hormone free meats and eggs.
    Here is her plan for me:
    Breakfast - 1.5oz lean protein, 1-2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
    Lunch - 2-3 oz lean protein, 1 fruit, 1-2 starch, 1-2 vegetable, 1 fat
    Dinner - 2-3 oz lean protein, 1 fruit, 1-2 starch, 1-2 vegetable, 1 fat