Control Over Food Addiction

Options
I don;t know if I can call myself a food addict, but I can say I find food to stimulate my mood and alter my perspective. With two daughters and a husband with a metabolism like a humming bird, We find ourselves buying Little Debbies for packed lunches, pringles, and various different "convenient" foods the kids and my husband will eat. I find myself more and more when urges come, I close my eyes and think to myself "Food cannot comfort me" "I don;t need it" "Food cannot control me, I control it" etc etc etc . What are some other mantras you have to control your urges to binge?

Replies

• thepickygirl
    Options
    Mantras don't help me because then I'm still thinking about food. However, I will drink some more water. I crave sweet things, and very often it's because I haven't had enough water. Or I do something else to take my mind off of it: walk the dog, go to the gym a bit early. If I have just worked out, I am much less likely to eat because I feel really good.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've been working on stopping and asking myself "why do you want this?" It's very interesting because besides finally losing weight, I'm learning alot about myself and how I cover up my feelings or use food as a drug. I'm also not buying the junk anymore and packing my little one's lunch with healthy foods.

I'm also experimenting with new things such as a food dehyrator to make my own snacks. For me, I definately have to just remove the temptation and have to stay focused at all times!!
  • rockabillymama
    rockabillymama Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've been working on stopping and asking myself "why do you want this?" It's very interesting because besides finally losing weight, I'm learning alot about myself and how I cover up my feelings or use food as a drug. I'm also not buying the junk anymore and packing my little one's lunch with healthy foods.

I'm also experimenting with new things such as a food dehyrator to make my own snacks. For me, I definately have to just remove the temptation and have to stay focused at all times!!

this is a little harder for me...right now, as my husband refuses to eat anything but cheese pizza, grilled cheese, and steak'em sandwiches. I have been slow replacing some of the girl's stuff with whole grains and things like that. so slow and steady i hope. I def. wish my husband would hide any junk food though.
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    I struggle with this too. There are times when I feel like I am climbing the walls looking for foods that I know aren't in the cabinet because I just checked 5 sec ago. Here's what helps me:

1) I only buy junk foods and other family foods in single serving packs. It's more expensive, but I am less likely to snitch constantly than I would out of a bottomless bag. Also? A single serving of cheetos or a single mini snickers or a single whatever isn't going to break the bank. Not good for everyday. But not bank breaking.

2) I buy foods that are JUST for me. I get diet friendly, fun, and satisfying options. Skinny Cow bars or a GIANT bag of dried fruit or mini Luna or Lara bars in flavors that mimic candy bars. Popcorn with a dash of actual butter. Baked tortillas and salsa. Whatever trips your trigger, I'm sure you can find something similar or close enough.

3) Nothing is off limits ever. My huge weakness?? Buffalo wings. Big time. So a few times I year I go to 50c wing night and enjoy myself.

4) Make a list of things to try when you think you are "hungry" but really just jonesing for a naughty snack. Try at least 3 things on the list with at least 5 minutes in between them. If you are still hungry afterwards, then eat. Some things on my list: Do 15 jumping jacks, drink a glass of water, run up and down the stairs, read for 5 minutes, sweep the kitchen floor, run around the house a few times, jive to a bouncy tune.
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What a great question! I struggle daily to keep within my calorie goals and some days I question why I even bother because I enjoy food and I feel like so much is "off limits" to me. I know that it's not, but I can't really enjoy a 500 calorie pizza meal anymore because if I eat it then I will either gain instead of lose or I will have to exercise for hours which is like torture. I have yet to find an exercise that I enjoy and can stick with for more than a day or two. I buy foods for me ~ my kids eat them. I put them in my bedroom closet but then I feel guilty for having to hide food to eat and worry that that will become an unhealthy addiction, too. I find that most often I eat because I am trying to avoid working on something or cleaning house. OR my kids are stressing me out, like the two that are hugging me, pushing each other away to get my attention right now, both sobbing... Occasionally it's because of thirst and sometimes it's because of real hunger. Sadly, I even associate snacking with my favorite activities, like scrapbooking (which don't really mix) because of years of snacking while crafting. It's a never ending battle.
  • Jenthin
    Jenthin Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    gettingstronger...............GREAT ADVICE!!! Love the tips....TY :flowerforyou:
  • Jenthin
    Jenthin Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    sorry this posted twice....LOL :) Have a great night everyone :blushing: