Light Potato-Leek soup recipe

Options
mello
mello Posts: 817 Member
It's raining here, the holidays are quickly approaching and I was in dire need of some comfort food today. I just finished cleaning dinner dishes from this recipe and it is amazingly good!! It hit the need for comfort food spot!

Recipe:

1 1/2 tsp canola oil (I didn't have canola so I used olive and it tasted just fine)
3 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced (3 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp dried
6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used Kitchen Basics unsalted to cut down on the sodium even more)
1 1/4 pounds all purpose potatoes, (about 3 to 4 medium), peeled and cut into small chunks
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in large heavy saucepan or stockpot over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook for 2 minutes more. Pour in broth, increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the soup through a strainer set over a large bowl. Puree the leeks in a food processor or blender until smooth (be careful here of hot liquids!!!) adding some broth if necessary. Return puree and broth to saucepan. Add potatoes and simmer, covered until potatoes are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and mash the potatoes thoroughly with a potato masher.
3. Stire in sour cream, salt and pepper. (I tempered or mixed a small amt of hot soup with the sour cream so it wouldn't curdle). Return to low heat and heat until hot, but not boiling. Serve hot or chilled.

Nutrition:

Serving is 1 cup
162 calories; 4 g fat (2g sat, 1g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0g added sugars (no figure given for other ingredients); 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 206 mg sodium (using the unsalted stock should reduce this); 507 mg potassium.

This is from Eating Well magazine

We had this with a salad and it was wonderful! Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Replies