Ouch! My knees...

Options
I've been running for about 2 months now. Just when I think my pain should go away, it hurts even.more. My inner knees hurt so bad and ache Down my leg. I've tried new shoes and everything. Is there something I may be doing wrong??

Replies

• lizjames1971
    Options
    Go see a Physio. I have a patella tracking problem. Solution for me was stretches, strapping & strengthening it thru lots of leg work with a trainer!! I now run comfortably with no (or very rare knee pain!). Once it's strong, I have found I only et pain if a take a few weeks off!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    What kind of surface are you running on? Maybe try switching it up. If you always run on a treadmill, try the track or the road a couple times instead - if always outside, try the treadmill.

When you got new shoes - did you have an actual gait analysis done? If not, then I strongly suggest doing this to get the right shoe for your foot. If you have a local running store, they can do this for you. A lot of running stores also have treadmills in them - see if you can go to the store and have them watch you run on it to make sure you're not doing something you shouldn't be.

What kind of pain is it? Are your muscles just sore, or is it actual pain? If you're muscles/joints are just sore, you may be trying to do too much at once and need to back down on the mileage and ease in to running. If you've actually injured yourself and you're having pain, you need to see a doctor about it before it gets worse.
  • deluna07
    deluna07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like runners knee! Look it up go to see a doctor he will help!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees and I know it is hard to deal with the pain that you are given when it comes to your knees.
    It could be the way you step. I know that sounds odd, but sometimes if your feet roll when you run it could hurt your knees pretty badly. My doctor use to tell me I had a model's walk and I have to catch myself from walking one foot in front of the other. If your stance is wider when you run it could help out. I know it helps me when I am walking. Also, maybe take a break from running all the time. Run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit...and what the others said, you might need to stop at the doctor and just get a check up on it. That is how I realized I had arthritis. But you are strong and you will get through it :)
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I too have a similar problem. My knees ache after running though I don't get an ache further down my leg. I did injure one of my knees many years ago (which I got physio on) so suspect that it is a residual injury.

I can walk comfortably for considerable periods of time with little to no discomfort (and seem to be fine) yet it hurts - thankfully not overly sharp pain - when I try to run for a lengthy period of time. I can definitely feel instability in my knees when I do squats.

I have recently invested in new (expensive) runners to see if that is going to make a difference but not sure if that will work (I note you tried the new shoes things already).

I'm sorry I cannot offer any meaningful advice. I guess I am going to scan other replies to see what other ideas are out there. I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago.

I guess for me the only solution is listening to my body. I don't mind running if I am pain free or even experience a little discomfort. But I am certainly not going to push through if I have any significant discomfort.

I agree that seeing a physio is a good idea. Probably a doctor as well.

I am still quite overweight so plan to see a doctor about my knees when I am lighter (knees seem to hurt less the lighter I get).

In the meantime, I am mixing up light jogging with walking which seems to be good enough for me as (cardio) exercise for the time being. I would have liked to do squats and lunges as part of my strength training but I doubt my knees will take it.