Need some advice please

Options
I want to get an idea of if this is an okay diet to be having
basic day I have a mean replacement shake morning and lunch and then a lean cuisine meal at night
and 1 coffee
usually around 850 calories
so far I've only lost a few kilos I've been doing it for about 4 weeks now..joined mfp about 2 weeks ago
I feel like if I eat any more than that ill not lose

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    personally, I don't think that's a great diet.

Firstly 850 calories is really low - most people reckon you need at least 1200 a day to get all the nutrients your body needs. Now, 1200 is not a magic number, but 850 is way too little.

Secondly, too much reliance on packaged or pre-prepared food. You'll do much better making at least some meals yourself. Doesn't have to be complicated - scrambled egg for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and grilled meat with loads of veg for dinner.

Try making small changes, and keep at it!
  • louisebear
    Options
    Hello ive been on MFP for a few months now and ive lost 4 kilos :O) but Ive lost 10cm from waist/hip's!!! its very important that you understand that your body need 1200 calories just to function.....meaning organs/blood/brain plus to get you moving to work !!!! if you stay at 1200 calories a day you will burn and lose weight.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Firstly 850 calories is really low - most people reckon you need at least 1200 a day to get all the nutrients your body needs. Now, 1200 is not a magic number, but 850 is way too little.

Secondly, too much reliance on packaged or pre-prepared food. You'll do much better making at least some meals yourself. Doesn't have to be complicated - scrambled egg for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and grilled meat with loads of veg for dinner.

Seconded! 850 Cal's/day will just put your body into 'Starvation mode'!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Basically, no, it's not an ok diet. It's all processed. Where are your fruits and vegetables? And 850 cals is way too low.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Seconded! 850 Cal's/day will just put your body into 'Starvation mode'!

Agreed!!

Quit the meal replacements, eat healthily & stick to your nutritional goals set out by MFP. Most people here will testify that's the way to go! Good luck!

Sue :smile: x
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and you're not eating healthy. Check your calorie allowance with MFP and eat the amount that's suggested. I don't know how tall you are or what your activity level is but it should be somewhere between 1200-1500 cals.

Eat real food. Protein shakes are ok as a part of a healthy diet but certainly not as your (almost) only source of food. There's plenty of healthy stuff you can eat for breakfast and lunch that will fit in your calories allowance (eggs, oatmeal, salads, soups, sandwiches, grilled chicken...). You definitely have to add some fruit of veggies to your diet!

Lean cuisine meals are ok every once in a while but again, try to eat real food! The internet is full of easy healthy recipes that can be prepared quickly.

Tons of people on this site, me included, have lost weight by eating a reasonable amount of calories (i.e. NOT 850 cals). There's no reason to believe you are different!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I want to get an idea of if this is an okay diet to be having
    basic day I have a mean replacement shake morning and lunch and then a lean cuisine meal at night
    and 1 coffee
    usually around 850 calories
    so far I've only lost a few kilos I've been doing it for about 4 weeks now..joined mfp about 2 weeks ago
    I feel like if I eat any more than that ill not lose

850 calories is very low...

and it doesnt sound like its a very sustainable plan... you should be looking at lifestyle changes - more fruit and veg in your diet & regular exercise - rather than a 'diet'. thats my opinion anyway!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's not a healthy diet at all OP.

Sorry but where is your fruit, salad and veg?
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The less you weigh the less calories you burn so if you keep going at it with this approach you'll hit a wall. Then drop to 500 calories? Im 136a pounds (about 68 kg?)but and I netted 1817 calories today. I can maintain at that. Find yourmaintance, subtract 500. -1000 = -2 lbs. Just donthave dip below 1200. there's no science out there that says you need to be the exception to the rule and eat 850right calories a day to lose You're metabolism will slow down ans one day you'll want to eat normal and it's bad all the way around. Listen to what these people are telling you. Thousands of people aren't reaching their goals by doing it wrong.
  • LouPeters
    Options
    Hi there. I understand the convenience of the shakes and the packaged meals, especially when your really busy but you could add to these and mix it up a little. If you're not a breakfast person keep the shakes for now, a shake is a good start to the day and better than no breakfast at all. You might even add some fruit like banana and make it a banana smoothie. Then you've had a piece of fruit before you know it. :)
    Instead of another shake at lunch everyday, maybe try a salad or a salad sandwich? Mix it up a little the body loves change it keeps it on its toes and it keeps its metabolism moving. If you track your calories on mfp you will know you are low at around 850 cals. So add a snack or two. Most people say you should eat every 2-3 hours so I think you need some snacks between each meal and that will also boost your metabolism - a win a win for you - eat more burn more calories lose more weight.
    These are little changes I added over the last 9 months and it was gradual.
    It sounds like you are doing it really strict and low calories which with a little adjusting here and there you could see some great results.
    Good Luck with your choices and congratulations on making the choice to change your eating habits!!
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    850 every day is a bit low:huh: ....and you need to eat other things (fruit, veg, fibre....). If you work-out every day you will need more or at least eat more on the days you do work out.
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input tbh I'm terrified that if I eat more I wont lose I'm so sick of being over weight I want it to change and I want it now and I know that its not realistic...
    I pretty much started doing the diet shakes and lean cuisines because I don't trust myself to eat properly..
    a few times I've been left to my own devices and eaten something stupid and then got mad at my self and purged..
    and yes i know thats really bad too..
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    can someone tell me what fruits or veges i could eat that are okay that i dont need to cook? stuff that if i get hungry i can just grab and eat?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fruits: Apple, orange, banana, small bunch of grapes. Each of those is around 100 calories.

Veg: Carrot sticks, celery, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, radish, lettuce, spinach. Eaten raw you could have a huge plate of any of those for under 100 cals.

Avoid too much dried fruit like raisins, and go easy on the avocados - full of good fats, but dont have too much.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ashlee I'm going to assume you're around the same size I was when I started. (137kg) that's based on how much you have to lose.

I ate DOUBLE the cals you're eating. I had chocolate, ate out sometimes and exercised less than you did. (30 min a day on average) In three and a half months I've lost 19kg. Never hungry. I've just dropped to 1400and am still rarely hungry.

You don't need to starve to lose weight.