What the difference between kilograms and Pound ?

Options
I am noticeing that some people are using kilograms and some use pound so really what is the dfference between the two?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2.2 kg = 1 lb

lbs / 2.2 = kilograms
    kg x 2.2 = pounds
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ^ or Google.

While we're at it, let's throw in stones. I like to weigh myself in stones sometimes.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    1kg = 2.2lb

In terms of actual measurements you're not better off using one over the other it's just personal preference
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what system of weight you are comfortable with. In the States people tend to weigh by pounds and in most other countries it is grams.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's just different units that can be used. Some people measure in pounds which is the English system (mostly people in the states) and some measure in kilograms which is the metric system. Most people everywhere except the states uses metric.
  • DukeAndor
    DukeAndor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kilograms are the metric unit of measurement for weight. One kilogram is about the same as 2.2 pounds. So a 220 lb. person would weigh 100 Kg.
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    A kilogram comes from the European Metric measurement system and weighs 2.2lbs. Pounds are the Imperial measuring system originating in the UK and used more in the US these days. In the UK we kind of mix and match, people over about 50 mostly use the Imperial system, people under about 35 almost exclusively use metric and people of my generation (ie somewhere in between) tend to use a mix of both and often have very little idea what amount relates to what! (or is that just me?). Because we're officially part of Europe, things are supposed to be sold in metric quantities in the UK but certainly anyone middle aged or above will usually ask for things in Imperial!
  • dgallienne
    dgallienne Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Kilograms are Metric system and Pounds are Imperial system.

Some countries prefer Metric, some prefer Imperial....some use both.

1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds
    1 pound = 0.45 kilogram
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    ^ or Google.

While we're at it, let's throw in stones. I like to weigh myself in stones sometimes.

I weigh myself in stones. I convert it into pounds for my ticker, then I have to convert it into kilos for my doc, lol.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1 kilogram is 2.2 pounds. Most places outside the US use kilo's instead of pounds. Except the here in the UK - we seem to be the only place in the world that uses stones (there are 14 pounds in a stone).
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Just to make it more interesting, most of the US measures, though they have the same name as the old English (Imperial) measures, are actually different.

For example, 1 Imperial pint = 1.20095042 US pints.

Same with ounces and fluid ounces and gallons.

To make it worse, many Americans (and this site) refer to the American measurement system as "English," event hough it isn't really.

:-)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Just to make it more interesting, most of the US measures, though they have the same name as the old English (Imperial) measures, are actually different.

For example, 1 Imperial pint = 1.20095042 US pints.

Same with ounces and fluid ounces and gallons.

To make it worse, many Americans (and this site) refer to the American measurement system as "English," event hough it isn't really.

:-)

Thanks for the confusion! :laugh:

Sue :smile: x
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    One is metric, one is imperial system
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    wow thanks every one yall are awesome
  • DukeAndor
    DukeAndor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just to outdo everyone, I'm going to start weighing myself in units of measurement that don't apply to weight. "How much do you weigh?" "1.21 gigwatts...I've lost three yards this month, but need to shed another knot or two."