Small rant

Options
Ok so I'm a big girl. 320 lbs to be exact. I Know, I know, I'm huge. But I'm working on it.

I work out while I'm on break at work, usually doing 30 minutes of huffing it on the elliptical or the 30DS. I work out with 2 coworkers, both considerably smaller than me.

I'm still working on Level 1 of 30DS, partly because I want to master it and be ready for Level 2, and partly because I still have to stop a couple of times to catch my breath.

One coworker keeps wanting to move on to Level 2. I agreed to do Level 2 a couple of times, but I'm nowhere near ready to do these exercises and I know I get more out of Level 1 still because I can do more of it without stopping. She threw a small fit tonight because I said that I was doing Level 1 (mind you, it's MY DVD).

The kicker is that I can complete more of this Level and have more endurance than both of my other smaller coworkers. WTH. It just bugs me that she would try to get me to move on to Level 2 when she can't even do Level 1 all the way through!

*end rant*

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is more worried about the Level than her performance, kind of like when you are in High School and you think you are cool because you can bench press 250 or 300... then when you get older you realize you would be better off being able to bench 135 for 20 reps.
    I would tell her to go climb a tree after all it is your dvd, and how sweet is your job that you can find the time to do the 30ds on break. what do you do?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I like to rant
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Have an adult conversation with her. Explain the fact that you 3 have not mastered level 1 yet and will benefit more from staying on this level for a while longer while building endurance then jumping to a harder level that you 3 will not be able to keep up with all the way.
    If an adult conversation will not work, then tell her to go get her own 30ds. Its only like 10 bucks anyway
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is more worried about the Level than her performance, kind of like when you are in High School and you think you are cool because you can bench press 250 or 300... then when you get older you realize you would be better off being able to bench 135 for 20 reps.
    I would tell her to go climb a tree after all it is your dvd, and how sweet is your job that you can find the time to do the 30ds on break. what do you do?

I work for the Consumer Affairs office for a hotel company. They were so kind as to put a workout room in our building, but it's small with only 1 TV and 3 machines.

It's not so much I mind working out with her or all of us using my DVD, but that I have the most weight to lose and if they're going to want to move on to a harder level, I should not be able to do more of the easier level than they can.

I think if they want to move on before I'm ready, I might suggest they work out separately and I can just workout on my own break.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    I like to rant

Me too, hence my post. ;)
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This 'friend' is saying this for one of two main reasons:
    - She wants to push you for faster results, to benefit you in the longrun
    - She wants to push you to make herself feel better about the fact that you cannot

I don't know this person, but what's important is for you to know your limits. I go to the gym with a mate of mine who's extremely fitter than me, and I've allowed him to push me to larger, heavier weights when I knew deep down I was not ready. I would fail at them and feel terrible.
    However, I've also been pushed to do these same weights at later stages when I became stronger, and even without realising it, his pushing me to accomplish it paid off and I felt better than ever!

What I'm trying to say is, if you know this friend's intentions and understand your limits, you cannot go wrong. Just remember that there's no point pushing yourself with a higher level if you won't be doing any exercise the next week due to the longer recovery. Even though its a lower level, maintaining it and persisting week by week and slowly gaining in levels is the smartest way to achieve results.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Well I Know she's not pushing me to better me.

I think it might be because she's bored with Level 1. She did it maybe a total of 3 or 4 times before she decided to move on to Level 2. She's not fit, just not as fat as me. We both can benefit from mastering Level 1 before moving on. I just don't see the benefit to moving on to a harder level if I'm going to have to stop more and not burn as many calories in the process.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on you. It's nice to have a workout partner. But the main thing is you're in this to fix you. You do what you need to do. If you need to uninvite your co-workers, then do it.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Easy, stop working out with her. lol.... Never go to gym or workout with someone who are not that supportive making or you .. rant.
  • FilleJr
    Options
    So is your goal to be able to do all of 30DS L1 without stopping for breath and then move to L2?
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    So is your goal to be able to do all of 30DS L1 without stopping for breath and then move to L2?

More or less yeah. I think it's more beneficial to be able to continue through Level 1 without stopping than to stop ALL THE TIME in Level 2. With all the Plank stuff in Level 2, I end up stopping a LOT.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on you. It's nice to have a workout partner. But the main thing is you're in this to fix you. You do what you need to do. If you need to uninvite your co-workers, then do it.

Poisongirl, I think BrettKoegh has the perfect solution here. Although it's nice to have someone to go through your journey with, just remember that its YOUR JOURNEY. Be selfish when it comes to this - you're entitled to it. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and motivated in your journey to weight loss.
    It sounds as though your workout coworker understands this a little too well.

Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I say or feel, do what works for you. Everybody's journey is different and only you know what feels right for you. I'm a big girl too, started out at 290, now 278. I joined the YMCA for acquatics class since I can only do water exercises for now due to surgery. My friend that is going with me, does the acquatics and walking laps. I cant do the laps yet until I am thru healing. She understands that and does her thing without me.

So do what YOU want or can do at this point. You'll get to Level 2 when the time is right and you will know when that is.