LOW CARB

Options
Hi Everyone,
i have tried the Atkins diet before and it has been successful at losing weight and keeping it off. of course i am only able to do Phase 1/2 because having NO carbs is really hard and unrealistic. But now that I'm exercising a lot, i feel like I'm not losing weight. So I'm thinking of do a LOW carb diet. For instance, high fiber/whole wheat carbs for breakfast and a salad for lunch and for dinner have a carb, veggie, protein meal (light). What do you guys think? I don't drink juice or soda but I do drink Starbucks (soy only and sugar free) maybe I can cut that out for the beginning? Any opinions.

Replies

• KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    this is what I follow. The highest my total carbs go for a day is 80, but the net carbs is alot lower than that. You can add me as a friend to see my diary.
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been doing Atkins too. Check out my diary if you like. This is my second week on induction 20 net carbs - so far so good. I have been having trouble getting my 15 grams of veggies in per day though... Not to hijack, but I would love it if some low-carb veterans could critique my diary and give me some tips as well.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I follow a low carb diet, my carbs are between 120-150 and have been rather successful. I've never been able to do Atkins, 20 carbs a day is just unrealistic for me. I have PCOS so maintaining my carbs is crucial to me.
  • polly1973
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet a few years back, I did drop about 40 pounds on it but of course gained it all back and then some. For me, right now I find cutting out alot of carbs is working. I will have my higher carb in the morning for breakfast or lunch and then stick to a lean protein and veggies for dinner. Along with cardio I find that the weight is coming off at a normal pace. Now I always eat whole wheat and brown rice or pasta rather then the white bread, rice and pasta. Fills you up and still gives you the energy to work out. Good luck!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I try and follow Mark Sisson's Primal Blue Print. It works for me. Check out my quick story about it and a link to Primal Blueprint site

I keep my carbs around 125

http://foxborofitclub.com/nutrition/primal-blue-print-21-days-to-a-new-you/
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I usually keep my carbs no more 100g total (some days are higher, most are less), I just switched some things around because I found my carb count was slowly sneaking back up way to high. I tried Atkins but realisticly 20g net carbs a day is just not doable for me. I am currently trying this as my Dr. believes I have a mild carb intolerance due to my thyroid.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do this too, I usually have 80-110 grams of carbs, but have 130-140 of protein. It seems to work for me. All of my carbs come from fruit, potatoes, brown rice....no white processed carbs! Maybe you should slowly increase your carbs each week until you feel good!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I have done the Atkins diet, it works but you have to follow the diet really well. What works better is a low cal. diet. If you follow the Atkins diet, your suppose to mostly eat fruits and veggies which turns out to pretty much be a low cal diet. But here's the rub. Carbs are good for you. You should eat healthy whole carbs (processed is bad). Sometimes when people go on a low carb diet they don't talk to their doctor first and see if that is healthy for them. The problem is sometimes when people cut out carbs they are cutting out important nutrition that their body needs. There is no real way to tell what their body needs without tests that a doctor can give you. That is the safest way. So if you do do a low carb diet REMEMBER, 1) a diet only works if you do it for the rest of your life, so make sure you want to do that forever, (which I wouldn't recommend due to the health benefits of carbs) 2) make sure if you do decide to follow the low carb diet that you eat enough fruit and vegetables and a verity of healthy foods, don't ignore any part of the diet (like eat more meat and not as much veg and fruit) because that is when diets become unhealthy.
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with Murf19 - I follow Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint" as well - he also has a free website: marksdailyapple.com
    The science behind cutting out perfectly nutrious veggies and fruit doesn't make sense - but to me the science/reasoning behind The Primal Blueprint did.

I am borderline PCOS - the Cleveland Clinic wouldn't diagnosis me, but my alternative/wholistic doctor (obviously NOT with the Cleveland Clinic) did (she likes me keeping my total carbs under 50 each day).

Feel free to "friend" me so that you can look at my food diary - good luck!
  • MrsREFJR
    Options
    I am low carbing it too. I try to stay as close to 40g as I can. Truthfully, I have been averaging 70-80 g a day. I am really just starting myslef. There is no way I could only do 20 g a day.
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey JerseyGirl, I found a low-carb group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

You might be interested too, I just joined.