Circuit Training Question

Options
I have a question about circuit training.

The question: How often should you be able to do circuit training?

I did a search on here to find similar topics, as well as an internet search. The results were coming up mixed. I was getting anywhere between every day, 24 hours rest, and up to 72 hours rest. I know with heavy lifting you can vary parts of the body each day, but with circuit training it is a full body work out.

Any input?

Replies

• tessa113
    tessa113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to only do circuits once a week as it is such a good full body workout I would focus on weights or cadio other days. Though tbh I was in such pain all over for the rest of the week don't think I'd manage more than a couple of classes a week.

Stopped doing it though when I broke my foot in a circuits class and ended up in a cast...the night before we should have gone on holiday!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are including strength training you would not want to work those same muscle in back to back days. So you would be fine doing M,W,F, as there would be 48 hours between working the same muscles. If you circuit is all cardio, then as long as you are recovered then you can do it in back to back days.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I do 3 days a week. I do cardio 4 days a week. My doctor said the 3 days strength training helps to build muscle which them highers your metobolic rate. JMO
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    If you are including strength training you would not want to work those same muscle in back to back days. So you would be fine doing M,W,F, as there would be 48 hours between working the same muscles. If you circuit is all cardio, then as long as you are recovered then you can do it in back to back days.

what he said. i think if you are a beginner, rest days are very, very important. try working out no more then 3-4 times a week, and if you are focusing on strength, please take at least 48 hours in between work outs. muscle isn't built at the gym, it's built on your rest days.

currently i strength train m,w,f and do cardio at least 3 times a week.
  • Noravus
    Options
    The circuit is mostly muscle endurance, not strength. I am only able to work with what I got at home. Gyms are overpriced in my area, so I only have access to my own personal set of weights and a running trail behind my apartment.

So being able to do the circuit M-W-F and cardio on Tu-Th-Sat-Sun should be okay. That sounds like the general consensus.

Does the same rule apply to body weight exercises, or should I be able to do them everyday?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    The circuit is mostly muscle endurance, not strength. I am only able to work with what I got at home. Gyms are overpriced in my area, so I only have access to my own personal set of weights and a running trail behind my apartment.

So being able to do the circuit M-W-F and cardio on Tu-Th-Sat-Sun should be okay. That sounds like the general consensus.

Does the same rule apply to body weight exercises, or should I be able to do them everyday?

Don't over do it. Take one full rest day. And the same hours for body weight.