What one exercise?

Options
If you could only do one exercise 30 minutes a day what would it be? What burns the most calories? I'm trying to make every minute count during my workout since I have very little time at the gym.

Replies

• PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    I would have to say the elliptical......I freaking love that thing, and I love all the calories I burn, even more! =-.)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Running, if all you're looking for is cardio and calorie burn, you can't beat it!
  • princessd3b
    princessd3b Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire! ;)
  • andshrinking
    andshrinking Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i like low impact high burn
    so either walking on the treadmill at a 9 or 12% incline

or on the elyptical not going to fast but dripping in sweat because level 26 feels like mud
  • lightinurlife
    Options
    Burpees!!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. What areas you are trying to target. Anything fast paced / cardio will burn the most calories. But if it is toning you desire ... something with weights / movement is key. :)
  • arat123
    arat123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy playing squash. It's is one of the best calorie burning exrecises you can do and so enjoyable. You can burn over 1000cals in 60mins. But the best way to know how many calories you are burning during any exercise is using a Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap.
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Burpees!!

i agree! may not be enjoyable but gets the job done :)
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Burpees will definately get your heart rate pumping and burn calories but doing those for 30 minutes straight would probably kill you...haha. Our gym has the precor adaptive motion trainer and it is the highest calorie burn other than running fast on the treadmill. It combines the motion of the Elliptical, running and stair climbing all in one. Hard stuff and I love it. I typically burn 430 calories in 30 minutes on that thing. I think the next best thing is the Elliptical.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Running or the Elliptical

With the treadmill, I switch it up constantly. I can also put the incline to 3-5 on the lower mphs if my heart rate is not above 140.
    1 minute - 3.2 mph
    2 minutes 3.8 mph
    3 minutes 4.5 mph jogging
    1 minute 5.0 mph jogging
    7 minutes total, 3 times over. (Or in your case, 4 times)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Circuit training, mix of cardio and strength.
  • SteffieB
    Options
    What is Squash?
  • anthonyager1
    Options
    if you are short on time, try someting called Tabata Protocol. It applies to any kind of exercise. I use it once a week on the treadmill and it only takes 4 minutes.

20 seconds at maximum effort (the fastest you can run or the heaviest weight you can lift etc)
    10 seconds rest
    Repeat 7 times for a total of 8 sets = 4 mins

It works your VO2 max aerobic and anarobic but is a killer. If you google Tabata, you will findout a little bit about the theory behind this type of training.
  • anthonyager1
    Options
    Squash is the British word for racketball
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Kung Fu. Running is good, but I find it boring comparatively.
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    Another thing you can do it look into a Peak 8 excersize.........You burn calories 2 hours after as well.....Very intense if you do it right, but so well worth it.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    For me I burn the most calories on the elliptical!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that you're talking about cardio since it's such a short time frame and strength training isn't meant for calorie counting.

So, for me, my calories burns - from highest to lowest - are:
    Running - 6MPH or higher, minimum incline 1.5
    ARC Trainer (or adaptive motion trainer) - doing intervals
    Ellipitical - doing intervals
    Stationary bike - 16-17MPH at varying resistances

Though, if you are looking for maximum calorie burn in a short window of time, HIIT is probably your best bet. And you can do HIIT on pretty much any of the above really, but it's probably easiest to do while running.
  • starmist
    starmist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock. :)