What's your age and the highest recorded heart rate?

Hey, I'm 34 (a few weeks back), female and got an HRM for my birthday. Since getting the HRM, the highest my heart rate has gone is early 180s so 181/ 182. Today I did Jillian Michael's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and my max recorded heart rate is 197 :noway: I did feel I worked hard, I always do with that one but holy moly! Is that even healthy? It didn't hurt per se, I just felt I was working really hard. I felt really good mentally coming out of it :drinker:

Is it ok? Reassure me with your max recorded heart rates!

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    I'm 32 years old and my highest is 176 bpm according to my HRM. I have high blood pressure that's pretty well controled with medication, but I like to take it easy on my heart for now. I'm still obese (251 lbs)
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    I have wondered about that also. Even as I have gotten in better shape I can easily push my heartrate to 200. In order to feel like I am exerting myself my heartrate sits in the 150s. It comes back down quickly enough and that is what I have been told is important.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    I think they say your highest heart rate should be 220 minus your age in years. At 47, I tend to try to keep mine in a reasonable range during cardio (below 145) but I have gotten as high as 169 during strength training.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    If you are just starting to really work out hard your heart rate will be alot higher because your body is not used to it. I am 33 and when I first started P90X or even my gym cardio for that matter mine would go to the 190s. Now that I have been doing P90X for eight weeks and going to the gym in the mornings my max usually is in the 160s...sometimes 170s. I think as our bodies get used to working so hard and you start losing that extra baggage of weight your heart adjusts. If you see that you are constantly staying that high take a step back and get your heart rate back to normal as it is not the best idea to be working out at max for long periods of time.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    I am 26 and my HR has never went past 150. I have a really low resting heartrate (51) anyways it sucks.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Holy cow. My resting heartrate is in the high 60's. My fat burning heartrate is in the 130's to 140's and my cardio heartrate is in the 150's. Never in my life have I had a heartrate of 200. I think I would die. lol
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Mine is a little higher than the average for my age, but it also changes depending on what exercise I do.

By the way, the odd time I get to max heart rate i'm virtually on the floor hurling afterwards, maxing out is hard!!

Running max 184
    Cycling max 176
  • I can easily push mine into high 190's. but you shouldn't stay there long. that's what is called a high intensity interval. to go up, come down, go up, come down.....better fat burning that way. just don't stay there for an extended period. it's rough on the heart.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    23yo 192bpm on an elliptical trainer, and never again
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    im 32, 208 pounds and my highest recorded is about 160, however, I have lately taken up jogging and after jogging and switching to walking to catch my breath i can tell it is way above, but i do not feel good at all after that, so i try to keep max at 160 so i can finish out my day with energy instead of recuperating.
  • http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083

Try this link for finding your target heart rate...according to its calculation for me...and I am 34 also....you may be surprised! My target heart rate is 130 - 158.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
    I'm 26 and my usual highest heart rate, usually sprinting up a hill is about 187. However I do have an arythmia and so I think the actual highest reading for me of 213 was a fluke... so I'll go with 187.

However, I have noticed that I haven't gotten up that high much recently, as I get fitter (I've take up running). Now my highest is about 182. But usually in the 170s for my running.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Im 29, and my highest HR was 197 during a particularly grueling sprint session. When Im just running for distance, my average stays at 168-175. I notice that at the same speed of running, after I have run for more than an hour straight, my heart rate is to the lower end of the spectrum by 2-3 bpm from the middle of my run.

our bodys are amazing machines.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Just used the Mayo Clinic link....looks like I'm spot on! YAY ME!!!! :D
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Hmm, tbh I'd say I'm pretty fit. I exercise at least 5 times per week, for at least an hour and have done for 8 months now. My heart rate drops back down very quickly. The workout is circuits, so I'm wondering whether its just particular moves pushing it that high. I'm also definitely not overweight - I'm pretty much in the middle of 'acceptable' for my height (5'8)

The mayo clinic link has my max heart rate as 286, which is more like the top end of what I have got previously. Is it possible for the reading to be out that much, could it just be an error? Like I said I did work hard, but not I'm going to die/ throw up hard :huh:
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Hmm, tbh I'd say I'm pretty fit. I exercise at least 5 times per week, for at least an hour and have done for 8 months now. My heart rate drops back down very quickly. The workout is circuits, so I'm wondering whether its just particular moves pushing it that high. I'm also definitely not overweight - I'm pretty much in the middle of 'acceptable' for my height (5'8)

The mayo clinic link has my max heart rate as 286, which is more like the top end of what I have got previously. Is it possible for the reading to be out that much, could it just be an error? Like I said I did work hard, but not I'm going to die/ throw up hard :huh:
    286 or 186? I'm 60 and have a resting heart rate of 60. My max is 167 bpm attained tackling steep hills on my bike.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member

286 or 186? I'm 60 and have a resting heart rate of 60. My max is 167 bpm attained tackling steep hills on my bike.

oops, 186, I should think 286 is physically impossible isn't it?? :laugh:

Bit worried about the 197 :ohwell:
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    299. I believe this was a glitch :) I generally stay between 167-175 with a resting heart rate of about 65. I've hit the 190s doing intervals before. I'm 26
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I am 34 and my resting HR is 44, highest I have hit with my HRM is 201 doing the 30DS. I have hit 191 sprinting a couple of times too. I wouldn't worry.

Normal training runs I sit between 168 and 179 (depending on if I am going up or down hill).
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Yeah - I think there's been an error. Every formula I've ever seen basically says your MAXIMUM HR is 220 minus your age (one is slightly adjusted for women, comes out similarly, though).

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/ss/findtargetheart.htm

I found this article incredibly useful - a little more accurate than doing a percentage of your MHR, it instead calculates a training range. By this formula, my HR should be a little higher than by just a percentage of MHR - which reassured me since I was barely breaking a sweat at 120 and being told this was like 60% or something. I'm 37 and regularly hit 160 with interval work, recover quickly, try to maintain around 140 for longer, maintained exertion.

I think asking a trainer about this is a good idea. If pulse isn't pounding in your head, you're probably "safe", but 201 is super high. So is 191...