Any NaNoWriMo challenge writers here?

Options
Beehiveof8
Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
How are you coping with balancing writing, everyday life, exercise, and healthy eating habits? How is the writing going? I just broke 15K last night!

Replies

• Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I signed up to do it, but have suffered from a massive case of writers block for the past 5 days
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing NaNo this year, but on Oct. 4 I had an epiphany about the novel I've been TRYING to write for the last 10 years and managed 32,000 words in three weeks, so I'm working on THAT right now. :-)

Luckily, it takes me about an hour to write 1,000-plus words, so it doesn't have much effect on the rest of my life. I write when I can and when I'm inspired.

Good luck!
  • jenfactor
    Options
    I did it last year -- and still working on revising the draft now. I do think my exercise routines suffered terribly while I was doing it, because I also work full time. Sometimes there's just not enough time in the day....
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Shut the front door...

I AM NOT ALONE!! HI guys!

I'm only at 10K as of yesterday, haven't written today but my goal is at least 2000. I surprisingly fall behind on the weekends because everyone's home and things are going on.

I have a tendency to get lost in my writing and forget to eat, so the last few days have been very low calorie, I'm hoping to change that!
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I was just discussing this with one of my colleagues. I haven't committed to 50,000 words; I've committed to 25,000 words. I'm able to write for about an hour each day at work (when it's slow), so I'm trying another 2500 on the weekends.

It's tough to balance everything.
  • holyguacamole37
    holyguacamole37 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was going to do it, and did for the first 2-3 days, but then - life got in the way. =(
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I signed up to do it, but have suffered from a massive case of writers block for the past 5 days

Have you tried writeordie.com? It's a great little tool if you haven't. Basically, you set a word count goal and a time goal (but the word count is more important), and a punishment if you don't keep writing. I always chose kamakazi because if there is too long of a pause...it starts deleting what you wrote!

Its a great way to just put ideas and words out there. Definitley has gotten my creative juices flowing.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I'm doing it. I will be breaking 18,000 words today. :)

I am getting up early in the moring--at about 4:30 AM (yes, I know, I'm insane) to do one to two hours of writing. My goal is 2,000 words per day, and I've done pretty well at keeping it up. And this is a habit I started several months ago to try to carve some specific writing time into my day, so it's not really anything new and disrupting.

Because I am up so early specifically for writing, it doesn't really interfere with the rest of my day, so my workout routines haven't really suffered--I do most of my running and circuit training during my lunch hour at work or in the afternoon on weekends.

Honestly, my healthy eating habits and my exercise routines have been more damaged by the change in season (and hence my "hibernation" habits, weather related hay fever that wears me out, and mild SAD) than anything. But I'm working on fixing that. It's always a challenge to keep up the balance when you're doing creative work. Every time I start a new project, whether performing in a play, preparing for a concert, or starting a new book/poem/writing challenge, I have to adjust.

But that's what keeps life interesting, right?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm miserably behind. I haven't done a good job at working on it during the week - need to fix that. Luckily, when i do write, I can fairly easily pop out 1000-1500 words in an hour - if I can just make myself sit down and do it, I know I can catch up. I'm hoping to catch up by the end of this weekend.
    I was going to do it, and did for the first 2-3 days, but then - life got in the way. =(

It's only the 9th - not too late to pick it back up! Every year some people procrastinate and manage to write most of their novel in the last week.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What is 'NaNoWriMo'?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What is 'NaNoWriMo'?
    National Novel Writing Month.

The goal is a 50,000-word novel in 30 days.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What is 'NaNoWriMo'?
    National Novel Writing Month.

The goal is a 50,000-word novel in 30 days.
    Ooh, how do I sign up?
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/

You sign up, get your account, and go for it!

BTW, I am BeehiveScribbler if anyone wants to be writing buddies!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Have you tried writeordie.com? It's a great little tool if you haven't. Basically, you set a word count goal and a time goal (but the word count is more important), and a punishment if you don't keep writing. I always chose kamakazi because if there is too long of a pause...it starts deleting what you wrote!

Its a great way to just put ideas and words out there. Definitley has gotten my creative juices flowing.

Thanks - I'll try this when I get home
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump