Balancing my diet but still feeling generally blah- help

Options
Hey all! I'm relatively new to My Fitness Pal but here is my story before I solicit your help: I am a 25 year old lady who is 5'8" and who weighs roughly 240 pounds. I have never been super fit physically but last month I moved (from the United States to France) and decided to undertake a lifestyle/diet change. However, unlike most of you seem to be reporting, I don't feel rejuvenated or bursting with energy.

I prepare most of my food myself, using fresh vegetables or fruit. I was still eating a lot of white bread (France!) until a week or two ago when I cut out the daily baguette in favor of more whole grains (but I've had white bread once or twice this week), I have had only the occasional glass of wine in the last month, and eat plenty of fruits. I have lost weight this month, but I don't feel better. If I had to guess I'd say that maybe I don't get enough protein - I have a plain yogurt in the morning (that counts, right?) and recently bought eggs, beans, legumes, and some canned tuna and salmon.

I get between 6-8 hours of sleep a night, and I'm getting to sleep slightly easier these days, since I'm much more active here in France than I was back in Texas. I spend at least an hour or two a day walking briskly (around town, uphill or upstairs) and sometimes more. I work as a teacher so I spend most of that time on my feet as well.

SO oh wise people of the MFP, can anyone give me some insight here? (I think my food diary is public to anyone, but I know my friends can see it - feel free to add me by the way!) I want to experience the magic. Where am I lacking/what do I need to add? Thanks y'all. I know it's a little teal deer but I appreciate ya

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Without looking at your diary, I can say that your body takes time to adjust when you change your diet drastically. If it's only been a month, it may take some time for you to acclimate to the new routine.

I'm off to lunch, but will look at your diary when I get back.

Either way, good luck!
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Could you have a gluten or wheat allergy? Might be something to check out.
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Could you have a gluten or wheat allergy? Might be something to check out.

Maybe, but looking at a list of symptoms I don't really it's the likeliest explanation. 2 or 3, yeah, but I think they could be caused by lots of different factors (if I had 5+ I would start getting alarmed).
  • deblc6836
    Options
    It may not rise to the level of a wheat allergy, but I have felt more energetic since cutting wheat out of my diet. I now have minimal cravings, and no energy crashes. I am following the "Wheat Belly" diet. The link to the short version of the plan is below. I didn't think I could live without wheat (I even mill my own flour)...but I really do feel better.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/wheat-belly-quick-and-dirty/
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Well its honestly one of those things where you could experience a multitude of problems or barely any. But you lack of energy and general blah feeling makes me think you're experience something not right in your body. Only way to tell is a blood test. Talk to your doc about it.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the changes. Only thing I can think of is maybe you have to lose more weight to feel better. Or increase the intensity of your exercise. Also increase water? Drinking more water always helps me.
    ps we can't see your diary.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I changed my diary settings so it's public now. And as soon as I get my carte vitale (yeah having health care) I'll go in and talk to a physician. And maybe a nutritionist. I'll already have my food diary ready to go.

I'll look into the wheat-free lifestyle! I also am not sure if I can live without it but logically I know I can. And since I'm in charge of feeding myself here, the power is mine!

PS: I drink AT LEAST 8 cups of water a day. I might actually need to cut down on water (or exercise more)! But I don't have any trouble in the water department. (heh.)