diet/exercise tips..

Options
For the last couple of weeks I have been seriously trying to figure out why I am not losing weight. I have started watching my calories and fat g. I thought that I should be eating around 1300 and less that 60 fat g. Thinking that I would be losing 1 lb per wk. However the scales are not moving. I recently researched caloric intake and says I should be in the range of 1800. I cant seem to eat enough food. I feel stuffed at 1200! So last night I was at 1200 for the night..So I went and ate a pizza! Just to get my calories in... On a normal wk I do 5 days of cardio and weights...
(at least 45 of cardio..running, ellipitcal, walking incline etc)
I really need someone to point me in the direction of weight loss!
Here a sample of what I ate yesterday...
1 c cookes oat
light vanilla yogurt
1 c strawberries
1 c blk berries

1 c cot. cheese
strawberries/blk berries

5 slices of turkey bacon
2 slices of ww bread
let and mustard

light van. yogurt
strawberries/blk berries

salad with homemade ranch (no mayo)
1/4 sleeve of crackers
at this pt was at like1200-1300 calories

so I ate a Totinos pizza to get the other calories( I would tipically not have done this, but was trying to get all cals)

I did TJ Fat Blaster. I usually go to gym and do 45 cardio and weights...
Any tips??

Replies

• tracijo50
    tracijo50 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For the last couple of weeks I have been seriously trying to figure out why I am not losing weight. I have started watching my calories and fat g. I thought that I should be eating around 1300 and less that 60 fat g. Thinking that I would be losing 1 lb per wk. However the scales are not moving. I recently researched caloric intake and says I should be in the range of 1800. I cant seem to eat enough food. I feel stuffed at 1200! So last night I was at 1200 for the night..So I went and ate a pizza! Just to get my calories in... On a normal wk I do 5 days of cardio and weights...
    (at least 45 of cardio..running, ellipitcal, walking incline etc)
    I really need someone to point me in the direction of weight loss!
    Here a sample of what I ate yesterday...
    1 c cookes oat
    light vanilla yogurt
    1 c strawberries
    1 c blk berries

1 c cot. cheese
    strawberries/blk berries

5 slices of turkey bacon
    2 slices of ww bread
    let and mustard

light van. yogurt
    strawberries/blk berries

salad with homemade ranch (no mayo)
    1/4 sleeve of crackers
    at this pt was at like1200-1300 calories

so I ate a Totinos pizza to get the other calories( I would tipically not have done this, but was trying to get all cals)

I did TJ Fat Blaster. I usually go to gym and do 45 cardio and weights...
    Any tips??
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Hi, I might be able to help a little.

You only have 10 lbs to lose. This is going to sound harsh, but with so little to lose it is unlikely that you will be able to lose 1 lb a week, try for .5 lb a week. Right now I tend to lose about 1 lb every 3 weeks. Sometimes longer.

A goal of 1400-1600 NET calories will be an appropriate caloric intake for you, as in my opinion 12-1300 is too low and 1800 is too high (1800 is my current maintenance calories so if I ate that I wouldn't lose weight). When I say net calories, I mean what you eat minus what you exercise away (so if you eat 1400 cals, then exercise and burn 200, you should eat 200 back to make up for it) it sounds weird, I know, but trust me, it works.

Obviously you can't go out and eat pizza every night to make up calories. Try putting some real cheddar on your sandwich at lunch, and add a glass of milk of 100% juice to each meal. Or- berries are a very low cal fruit choice- switch to a banana once a day, they're higher. Add in higher cal snacks like nuts, seeds, and whole grains. On the whole, your protein seems low to me. Sprinkle chicken over your salad or add eggs to breakfast.

Those are just some ideas, I hope they help!

Keep in mind that even though you only want to lose 10 lbs, it's going to be a long journey. The last 10 lbs I lost took me as long as it took for me to lose almost 30 lbs when I started here! Long... slow... process. But worth it.

You may also condier adding strngth training to your workout routine. You have so little to lose, you may actually just need to tone up what you already have.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't eat junk food to get your extra cals. Pizza, tacos, etc...will do nothing for you. I noticed a total lack of vegetables in your diet (with the exception of some salad). Even something as innocent as turkey bacon could be filled with sodium and artificial preservatives. Try to get some really good protein sources like eggs (or egg beaters), fresh chicken, turkey or fish. There are so many wonderful things out there that are healthy and filling. BTW, the crackers could be a problem as well. Look for a good, balanced diet. Good luck!
  • tracijo50
    Options
    Thanks for the tips..I am just getting really frustrated..thats all. In the past 6 mo. I have gained back about 8 to 10 lbs that I had lost...was at about 143...now...150 ish. My clothes are fitting a little too tight for me to feel comfortable.

I got on the scales this morning and I was up a few. URRRGG!
    On a normal week I usually do 5 days of cardio with 3 days of weights. I do sometimes eat eggs, drink milk, banana, etc....lol.
    About the calories. If I work out like mentioned...1600 will be enough? right....
    My cardio usually consists of running (12m mileon treadmill and 15 outside) ellipical, walking incline, or etc...Thought about adding in a workout video to change it up...How should I tweek my wo to help with the loss???
  • tracijo50
    Options
    Okay...heres todays meal plan
    PB sandwich
    3 cups of skim milk

.5 cup of cottage cheese
    berries

salad from Olive garden (only 2 tbsp of dressing)
    grilled chicken
    minestrone soup

carrots

dinner..not sure yet
    thinking maybe chicken on rice with salsa?

WO- 45 cardio (at least) and weights legs...

Does anyone on here to accoutablity? I really need someone...lol!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    PB sandwich
    3 cups of skim milk

.5 cup of cottage cheese
    berries

grilled chicken
    minestrone soup

carrots

dinner..not sure yet

it looks BETTER, but it still doesn't sound like enough, although I can't be sure because you didn't include the cal. count. Carrots make a great snack, but if you're trying to increase your cals, a better choice would be avacado, some nuts, crackers and cheese etc. or keep the carrots and add a dip- my sister uses cream cheese as a dip for raw veggies, which is more nutritious than say... ranch or onion dip.

Other than the PB, today seems pretty low on fat, I don't know what kind of salad dressing you use but I'll assume it's light. Keep in mind you need fat, it doesn't MAKE you fat, it has important roles within your body just like carbs and proteins do. you could work it in a bit more with your meat choices (salmon is great for good, healthy fats) so is olive oil, so feel free to use a little when you cook (just be sure to count it in your log)
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options

PB sandwich
    3 cups of skim milk

.5 cup of cottage cheese
    berries

grilled chicken
    minestrone soup

carrots

dinner..not sure yet

• aprilann
    Options
    Well honestly it looks to healthy. It's suppose to be a lifestyle change not something to lose weight on. I eat everything but in allowance of what a se3rving is. Have you tried a new workout? I recommend 30 day shred. That will help jump start more like shock your body into a few pound lose no lie! I hope you don't find this message rude, but every now and again it's ok to have a 6 inch something or a taco from taco bell or a cheeseburger from McDonalds. Now to anyone reading this saying that's wrong or naughty nope! It's proven a simple indulgence is ok. Not only does it help keep one stay on track it also keeps away the kind of cravings that sink a persons diet. The cravings aren't as great and one tends not to over eat the bad stuff if they were eating it here and there. Just my opinion. Shot girl opt for a bowl of pasta share with a girl friend. Take the extra home to your hubby or kids! Allow food like that in your body will think I'm getting this big calorie and fat intake adapt, then when it doesn't get it again it will burn the high calories because it thinks it's coming. If that makes sense. I always go on line to the resturaunt on line and then pick a plate of food cut it in half or 1/3 and take the rest home. I have been doing this for a while and I'm losing weight. I recently lost my motivation to workout, but started again. Good Luck!
  • hazelmichling
    Options
    Can you please explain to me what is "30 day shred"? I am so new at this eating healthy and exercising and there is so much to learn. Thanks....
  • aprilann
    Options
    It's a workout video by Jillian Micheals from the biggest loser. It's great. Go online and google it. It will come up and you can view a little bit of the videp see if you like it.
  • tracijo50
    Options
    thanks april..i do go off a little on the weekends....
    and what is a 30 day shed??? or shred??
  • aprilann
    Options
    Google it, it's a great workout by Jillian Michaels it really kicks your butt. I love it! I do it and it I feel soar days after.
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi, I might be able to help a little.

You only have 10 lbs to lose. This is going to sound harsh, but with so little to lose it is unlikely that you will be able to lose 1 lb a week, try for .5 lb a week. Right now I tend to lose about 1 lb every 3 weeks. Sometimes longer.

A goal of 1400-1600 NET calories will be an appropriate caloric intake for you, as in my opinion 12-1300 is too low and 1800 is too high (1800 is my current maintenance calories so if I ate that I wouldn't lose weight). When I say net calories, I mean what you eat minus what you exercise away (so if you eat 1400 cals, then exercise and burn 200, you should eat 200 back to make up for it) it sounds weird, I know, but trust me, it works.

Obviously you can't go out and eat pizza every night to make up calories. Try putting some real cheddar on your sandwich at lunch, and add a glass of milk of 100% juice to each meal. Or- berries are a very low cal fruit choice- switch to a banana once a day, they're higher. Add in higher cal snacks like nuts, seeds, and whole grains. On the whole, your protein seems low to me. Sprinkle chicken over your salad or add eggs to breakfast.

Those are just some ideas, I hope they help!

Keep in mind that even though you only want to lose 10 lbs, it's going to be a long journey. The last 10 lbs I lost took me as long as it took for me to lose almost 30 lbs when I started here! Long... slow... process. But worth it.

You may also condier adding strngth training to your workout routine. You have so little to lose, you may actually just need to tone up what you already have.

Great advice! I had to get over wanting to lose the weight quick. It's taken me since the beginning of the year to lose 10 pounds. I still have 15 to lose and am hoping I'll have it off by my 50th birthday next March. Try to find other ways to measure your progress! I've taken measurements and also invested in a scale that also measures body fat. At least that way I can see other progress even if the scale doesn't go down, which it does VERY slowly.

Hang in there, incorporate the great advice and you will get there! :drinker: