Not sure whether I am obsessed or not

Options
I like to plan my calories beforehand, so today it's only 10 am but I have already inputted what I will have for lunch and later for dinner. I do this so I know where I am as far as my calorie goals for the day. I don't keep myself striclty and rigidly to what I've put for any given meal, if something changes then I am flexible. I think I do this also because I have a sweet tooth and we have candy readily accessable here in my office. If I have wiggle room to add a piece of candy today I want to know. :happy:

All that said...

My co-worker thinks I am obessing and I don't know whether I am or not. What say you MFP veterans that have done this for a while, or any newbies like me?

I have really gotten into the calories in/calories out mindset lately and it's really helped me. Plus I like seeing the breakdown of my calories-exercise=net calories. I like it when my net calories is low, like below goal. So...obsessed or not?

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    not obessed...organized =)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Especially early on in weight loss, that is a wonderful, helpful thing to do. It's not obsessing. It's being proactive, I would ignore your coworkers and maybe not talk to them about it.
  • judimuro
    judimuro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's not obsessed its dedicated :)
  • janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sound planning to me. If it works for you, don't let anyone get you off track.
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So what if it is. Everyone obsesses over something, whether it's some television series, or your children, or fashion.

There are healthy obsessions and unhealthy obsessions. I choose to obsess over things that improve my life. :-)
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals the day before.... It helps me to know what to pack for the meals I eat at work and also keeps me on track....
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Not obsessed, just smart. (I don't do this because every single time I input what I PLAN to have for dinner, hubby comes along and asks for something else! But, I know plenty of people who do do this and it works for them.) Don't let other people's opinions stop you from doing what is working for you. Good luck!
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm new to it and I do the exact same thing. I guess it's my way of seeing what I'm actually eating and I've already halved my calorie intake from what I'd normally eat. I wasn't aware of what I was eating before and by planning ahead I can keep track of what's good for me to eat.

However, if I decide I don't want what I've added to my planner then I remove it but substitute it with something equally as nutritious.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You are not obsessed, because if you are then I am too. I do the same thing; In the morning I log in my breakfast, lunch and snacks, not dinner since I don't usually know what I will come up with. You are doing what is best for you and that is all that should matter.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    not obessed...organized =)

This ^^

I do the same =) It helps me keep myself on track on what I can eat for the rest of the day, etc and knowing that I'll be under my calories helps keep me motivated ;)
  • monetsf
    monetsf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's obsessed; I think more people perhaps should take the time to think about what they are eating. This is our health we are talking about and really it deserves a lot of our time and attention. I do the same as it helps to plan my meals as well and really makes it easier for me and like you if I do get tempted I know that I can fit something extra in. :)
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a little obsession to lose weight. You keep doing what you are doing.
  • mom2my5sons
    mom2my5sons Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's dedication...........but maybe you're 'over-sharing' and your coworker is a little tired of hearing about it. That's what I'm prone to do :D I go on and on........
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Obsessive? Sounds to me like you have a strong focus on what you want to do, you pre-plan ahead and give yourself a little leeway in the event something changes - aka troubleshoot.

Sorry dear, but your co-worker sounds to me like he/she is MAJORLY JEALOUS...

Who the hell cares what that person thinks?!

Embrace all that is Miyagi - "foooocus.... con-cen---trate"
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It's not obsessing, its planning. It's no different than scheduling your tasks for the day.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's not obsessed its dedicated :)

Yup. They don't understand your commitment, so they're trying to make it seem like a bad thing by using the word "obsessed". I think of it as I'm taking charge of what I put in my body.
  • michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here - you're being smart and organized! Keep up the good work!!! :)
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I say not obsessed! I think not everyone will understand the type of organization and preparation necessary to be serious about accomplishing your goal. Weight loss might not be your co-worker's issue so maybe she/he doesn't know what it takes to make this type of life change. You have it right letting yourself enjoy candy and being flexible so I say keep up the good work!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Not obsessed...it's called planning ahead, dedication and organization. Is your co-worker on MFP or trying to reach some sort of goal? If not, she's left out in the cold.

Keep up the great work! :wink:
  • erinnhamil2n
    erinnhamil2n Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You are not obssessed you are focused!

I have a coworker who gives me crap about everything I do. It is very frustrating! I don't know if she is jealous of my progress or annoyed with my focus.

Just keep in mind this is for you not them.