please help me understand?

Options
I weigh 336 lbs, my calories counter is set at 2022 calories per day....when I exercise, It tells ,e to go to 3200 calories. Do I need to eat all those colories to keep loosing my 2lbs a week, or should I stick to the 2000 mark?

Replies

• tinnytibbs
    Options
    I weigh 336 lbs, my calories counter is set at 2022 calories per day....when I exercise, It tells ,e to go to 3200 calories. Do I need to eat all those colories to keep loosing my 2lbs a week, or should I stick to the 2000 mark?
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You are always supposed to eat your exercise calories, otherwise you will be below you BMR and your body will adjust. hope this helps.
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    alot of people will tell you to eat your exercise calories but as for me i dont think i would of made to the place i have come to now eating all those extra calories. i have lost 94 pounds in 6 months and i watch my calories faithfully and exercise daily. you can do it with out all the added calories it way to much food for me to eat in one day.
  • babyhippo
    babyhippo Posts: 247
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories (sometimes I have a few left over, nut much) and I am still loosing weight.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I eat all or at least most of my exercise calories.

Make sure you are honest about your effort and time, and then let MFP do the math for you!:flowerforyou:
  • tinnytibbs
    Options
    see, now there is another thing......on the elliptical, it says i burn like 500calories for 45 minute work out and when i enter it on here....it says a little over 1100....wich one is right?
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would go by what the elliptical says, especially if you are able to enter your weight.
    Burning 1000 calories in 45 minutes would be very hard to do.

The workout estimates on here are probably off.
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The NCC (net calories consumed) is already set to the lowest amount of calories to lose the 2 pounds a week. If you are exercising and burning 1200 calories, your body is only taking in a very unhealthy 800 or so calories for the size man you are. You NEED to eat the calories you burn on top of your minimum calories that is calculated for you. Exercise is key but getting the calories to burn is top priority. Your body needs the calories to keep your metabolism going. Any drop below the NCC can slow your metabolism over time. And if you work out and don't eat those calories you burn to maintain your 2022 NCC, you will find yourself losing energy and your body will going into "starvation" mode. Thus, bringing your energy level down to not lose weight, possibly gain!

Remember to not eat empty calories!! That is key!

Good luck and I hope I did not confuse you!!

I love the math of this website, it keeps me going!!!
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    see, now there is another thing......on the elliptical, it says i burn like 500calories for 45 minute work out and when i enter it on here....it says a little over 1100....wich one is right?

I would go by what the elliptical says, especially if you are able to enter your weight.
    Burning 1000 calories in 45 minutes would be very hard to do.

The workout estimates on here are probably off.

There is a lot of things NOT being taken accounted for. You may take the average of both. Because you are a larger person, you can burn more calories at a faster rate opposed to someone who is 160 lbs. Google and find other websites and see what they say at your weight, height and amount of time... maybe take an average from that. Just know that you are working your heart and it is going to thank you for it and whether or not you are working out or not, just by eating properly and less calorie intake, your body will lose weight! Make sure you are doing strength training as well. That helps build muscle to burn more calories!!

Take care!
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    Always go with the machine. It knows whether you slowed down or kicked up the intensity while working out. The database has no idea what your workout was like....
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You should eat back some of the calories burned or your body may actually try harder to hold onto your body fat as a preservation.
    Personally for the first 4 wks that I did not eat back calories, my body held onto every pound, when I started eating back some of those exercised calories, I started losing weight.
    (Although it does sound as though the calories you burned/earned number is a bit high.) Probably go with the machine. I enter my age and weight on the machines at the gym and the machine keeps track of how hard you are working, that will give a better calorie count, but still may be slightly inaccurate. Therefore, I error on the side of caution and only eat back about 75% of the calories.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    alot of people will tell you to eat your exercise calories but as for me i dont think i would of made to the place i have come to now eating all those extra calories. i have lost 94 pounds in 6 months and i watch my calories faithfully and exercise daily. you can do it with out all the added calories it way to much food for me to eat in one day.

You are the first person I have seen on here that says don't eat the calories. Each person and body is different so you've had success in doing what you do. And great job, by the way. How much exercise do you do each day and how many calories would you say you expend in exercise??