Elliptical Machine Recommendations

Options
I am wanting to buy an elliptical for my home. What would be a good machine that will provide a good workout, but won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have an Ironman Ascender that I found on Craigslist...It retails for over $1,200.00 and I bought mine for $325.00...I would recommend looking on Craigslist and then googling the make and model to read online reviews...Some brand name ellipticals can be real junkers...Good luck..!!.. :flowerforyou:
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I believe Proform puts out a good quality piece of equipment.

What I would suggest you consider is going to 1-2 sports stores that sell equipment and try them all. The reason being is that the ergonomics (strides and foot placements, etc.) vary from each design and you really want to find one that you bond with physically. That feels good and smooth. Try to go with one you will know you look forward to using than spending less money and not really likiing the cadance on it.

Hope that helps some.

Best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    Free Online Coach
    From 170 lbs. to Fit
    If I Can Do It, So Can You!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    What is your budget? I bought an Elliptical back in April...mine is by Vision Fitness. I like it because it mimics the motion of running, and it has a smaller footprint than a lot of machines. I purchased it from a fitness shop in Seattle....

I think mine was around $2200.
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordic Track......i paid almost a 1000 bucks for it, new.....it was WELL worth the money!!! But everyone has their preference.....you just have to try it on for size when you're out shopping around and when you find one that "feels good" that's when you know you found the one you want. Good Luck! :happy:
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I love my nordictrak....bought it used locally and saved a ton.
  • erdelyt
    erdelyt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd Pro-Form machine for ~ $500. I originally got the 3 year warranty and ended up having the first machine replaced after 2 years or so. Basically, I paid for one and ended up getting it "refreshed" after 2 years because the first one died. When this one dies, I will definitely buy a new one WITH a warranty. For the price, it can't be beat. (as a note, NordicTrak, Pro-Form and many others are actually all by Icon Fitness and have the same warranty choices: http://www.iconfitness.com/). I've thought about a gym-quality machine for 2000 or so, but I've heard repairs on those are VERY expensive and the $500 machines do the job.

I use my every day and LOVE it.

Good luck!
  • maysflower
    Options
    I bought a Schwinn 418 4 years ago, and it worked great until recently. When I got it serviced the guy told me that these machines usually only last about 3 to 5 years. He also told me most of the brands out there are NOT North American designed and built machines. They are designed and built in China (or a similar place) by a 3rd party manufacturer, then bought by Schwinn and they put there sticker on it and sell it as there machine.

There are a few companies out there that don't do this, but I can't remember which ones. After doing some of my own math and found that if those machines only last about 5 years, it is cheaper and more cost efficient to get a gym membership. I would suggest shopping around and doing your own math to see if purchasing a machine is actually cost effective for you.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    You can get GREAT ones on Craigslist for MUCH less than new! There are a LOT of people out there who buy one with good intentions and then realize later that they didn't have the tenacity to continue using it like they originally planned.
  • vintx
    vintx Posts: 34
    Options
    thanks everyone! i have never been on an elliptical, so i am COMPLETELY clueless on what to look for. i just think it would be a great option for me to work out at home while my monsters....oops! my kids i mean, run around. ;)

i am totally up for getting a used one and saving some money. my budget is under $1000 if possible. i don't think the hubby would fork out more than that. ;)
  • erdelyt
    erdelyt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Vintx, you may want to see if your local gym has a 1 or 2 week pass. Usually they include child care. You can test out different ellipticals while your kids play. Then, if you want to buy one, you have a better idea as to whether you like them or not. Also, you may like the gym enough (and your kids may like it) that you can just join one and not worry about buying a new one.
  • tymee
    tymee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I bought a Livestrong, I really love it. I think was right around $1000, had the most comfy stride for me. I would go look around and try some out to get a feel of what works best for you