What to eat when going out?

Options
Hey... I eat a TON of salads and soups. I'm kinda getting tired of it. I still love them but I need some more variety. I also need ideas from fast food places that's healthy, a good amount of food with low calories/fat. My office is always ordering food from local places and I need healthy choices!!!!

Replies

• kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Definitely should do an internet search for "eat this not that" and then the name of the restaurant. They usually can tell you what is best to eat at the restaurant.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I go to the restaraunts websites and see if they list their nutrition info .... most places do now unless they're super localized
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I take the more eat whatever i want at a restaurant and if i happen to go over cals for the day i get back on track the next day. If i'm going out to eat, i focus on taste and not cals
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just eat less. There are days when I'd rather have a piece of pizza over one more frickin' salad. So I have the pizza.

There's no good food or bad food. It's just food.
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Wherever your company orders from go online to their website..almost all places have nutrition information online and you could pick what you'd eat and stay within your calories for the day. Also, always stay away from regular salad dressings and fries..they're the worst at fast food places. Try and stick to some type of chicken sandwhich or wrap if you are tired of the same old salads. and any sandwhich or burger you get, having it with no cheese or no condiments is always a better pick for you too.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can share some things I have done:

Chinese
    I order steamed rice & if they offer brown rice, I get that
    I ask for no sugar or msg - most of the Chinese places don't do msg anymore, the chow meins (chicken & shrimp) are good, I ask for minimal corn starch on mine. The corn starch can cause cravings

McDonalds
    Chicken Sandwich (not coated) & Salad
    Egg McMuffins without the Cheese

Wendy's
    1 Baked white or sweet potato
    1 cup of chili
    1 small side salad

KFC
    Baked chicken breast (no coating)
    String Beans & Cole Slaw

When ordering at resturants, I make sure that they keep the sauces that come with the meal either on the side or no sauce at all.
    I order dry baked potato with a side of ranch dressing so I can control the amount of fat - it's awesome on a potato
    Steamed veggie with olive oil on the side, again to control the intake

Hope some of that helps.

Best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    Free Online Coach
    From 170 lbs. to Fit
    If I Can Do It, So Can You!
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If it is a nice sit down place I ask for a box right when they serve the meal. Then I put half in the box for the next day.
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I can share some things I have done:

Chinese
    I order steamed rice & if they offer brown rice, I get that
    I ask for no sugar or msg - most of the Chinese places don't do msg anymore, the chow meins (chicken & shrimp) are good, I ask for minimal corn starch on mine. The corn starch can cause cravings

McDonalds
    Chicken Sandwich (not coated) & Salad
    Egg McMuffins without the Cheese

Wendy's
    1 Baked white or sweet potato
    1 cup of chili
    1 small side salad

KFC
    Baked chicken breast (no coating)
    String Beans & Cole Slaw

When ordering at resturants, I make sure that they keep the sauces that come with the meal either on the side or no sauce at all.
    I order dry baked potato with a side of ranch dressing so I can control the amount of fat - it's awesome on a potato
    Steamed veggie with olive oil on the side, again to control the intake

Hope some of that helps.

Best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    Free Online Coach
    From 170 lbs. to Fit
    If I Can Do It, So Can You!

Love these ideas. Thanks a bunch.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    anything grilled or broiled it a good choice! or steamed is even better, stay away from fried things and maybe try and stick to chicken or seafood(low in calories, i work at a seafood restaurant!). Good job on eating healthy when going out! I always have a difficult time resisting! If you cant resist just order something and ask your server to bring you a box with your food and that way you can automatically put half of it in the container(a lot of meals have about 1000 calories :/) and it cuts your calories in half! Eat slow and drink a lot of water too, that whay it will fill you up faster. I always like to eat something little at home before i go out so that way when im at the restaurant im not even that hungry so im not tempted to eat something bad :)
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I also eat whatever I want when I go out to eat. When my food gets there, I ask for a box right away. The waiter/waitress always looks at me like I'm dumb. I put half of my food in the box and eat the other half. The portion sizes at most places are way too big.

I also agree about going to websites of the places your co-workers are ordering from. Some places have a meal builder on the site(I know McDonald's and Subway do it). You can pick what you want to eat and see what your totals are. I also agree with the "Eat this, not that" book. I love it and some of the things in there will surprise you (like its better to eat a quarter pounder hamburger than a premium grilled chicken club sandwich)!!
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Fantastic idea! I'd have to say at most restaurants you'd more likely be putting 2/3 of it in the box.
    If it is a nice sit down place I ask for a box right when they serve the meal. Then I put half in the box for the next day.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I take the more eat whatever i want at a restaurant and if i happen to go over cals for the day i get back on track the next day. If i'm going out to eat, i focus on taste and not cals

Same here...enjoy it ...don't go crazy with appetizers, bread, desserts, ect. I order what sounds delicious for dinner and just don't stuff myself until I can't breathe. I know that's not for everyone but over time I've learned to do this and not be out at dinner eating a plate of lettuce for my meal. Self control....it's a M-bleep!
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I also agree about going to websites of the places your co-workers are ordering from. Some places have a meal builder on the site(I know McDonald's and Subway do it). You can pick what you want to eat and see what your totals are. I also agree with the "Eat this, not that" book. I love it and some of the things in there will surprise you (like its better to eat a quarter pounder hamburger than a premium grilled chicken club sandwich)!!

I didn't know that. I haven't ate fast food in so long that I can't remember...but that's a terrific thing to have available for customers!
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Same here...enjoy it ...don't go crazy with appetizers, bread, desserts, ect. I order what sounds delicious for dinner and just don't stuff myself until I can't breathe. I know that's not for everyone but over time I've learned to do this and not be out at dinner eating a plate of lettuce for my meal. Self control....it's a M-bleep!

I totally agree!!!! I avoid appetizers because they're all fried and desserts are my downfall. I focus on eating slow and carrying a conversation and putting down my utensil after every bite. It helps control the amount I eat. I just have to figure out "what" to eat part when going out. I love pasta and other carbs.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I usually go for steak, baked potato, and veggies.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've been getting addicted to veggie burgers. They have much fewer calories and are much better for you than the traditional beef burgers and still taste pretty amazing. Also, try subbing for healthier sides. Like, instead of fries get mixed fruit or a baked potato.
  • wamaverick
    wamaverick Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I research in advance the options at certain restaurants. My family and I love Qdoba and I really wanted to eat there so I spend some time on the website and was able to craft my nachos and burrito with out going over my calories for the day. I did have a little sheet in my hand to remember what I was getting and not getting on each. I felt stupid having to consult my cheat sheet, but I was really happy that I was able to eat with my family and not go over my calories. I was so happy when I got done with my supper because it filled the craving, everyone was happy with dinner and I didn't have a shred of guilt!

Anyways I guess the moral of the story is plan in advance or at least research your options at the restaurants to know where you can save calories and not. At Qdoba I will never order anything with a tortilla again because there tortillas are 400 calories a piece!!!

And a quote I recently read "Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail"