low carb lunch and breakfast ideas

Options
Because of some health issues i am going to try and go low carb. I am showing signs of PCOS and it says that a low carb diet helps with weight loss and the PCOS symptoms. I have to wait till i can get in to see my dr to know for sure. However i had gestational diabetes with my last to pregnancies and lost about 30 lbs by just going low carb. please help me with and low carb ideas that you might have.

thank you

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    You can also try putting "Low-carb" or "Atkins" in the search (along with keywords like "breakfast, "lunch," or "snacks") and looking for ideas/recipes that way. Best wishes :)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    How low carb do you want to go? For me, low carb is less than 100g a day.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash
    avocado in salad
    red, yellow and orange peppers with hummus (or if the hummus is too many carbs for you, ranch dressing)
    cucumber salad
    eggs
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I like making omelets for breakfast and these will probably be your best bet. I use egg whites instead of the whole egg and and whatever lean meat and veggies I have on hand (usually ends up being ham and spinach!). I of course eat mine with a slice of whole wheat toast but you can omit that! If you are still eating fruit, you can also make fruit smoothies (1.5 cups of frozen fruit, 2/3 c milk, 1/4 c fat free, sugar free vanilla yogurt; mix in blender).

I'm afraid I'm not much help with lunch as that is the meal I tend to pack on the carbs!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Best breakfast ways are: 2 eggs, cheese, and ham, scrambled, 2 slices of bacon, and two slices of toast.
    Best Lunch: Ham, 4 ounces, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup sweet peas.

With PCOS they will put you on this diet:

Breakfast: 45 carbs
    Snack: 30 carbs
    Lunch: 45 carbs
    Dinner: 45 carbs

Believe me I have been diagnosed with PCOS for 5 years now and that is the diet they put you on. If you follow it you lose weight and are healthier, if not you gain. I've been working steady on it for the last month. Last time I worked steady on it, I got pregnant in a month.

Oh and if you get pregnant again, take 15 carbs off of each of those meals and you have what you will eat through it. My hubby said he wanted to hide under the bed during that time period of our lives!
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend and you can check out my diary. I have PCOS.

Here is a great support site for PCOS www.soulcysters.net

Breakfast
    atkins bars
    atkins shakes
    turkey sasauge
    eggs
    turkey bacon
    fiber one yogurt
    Polish sasuage
    chicken sasauge

Lunch
    Orowheat sandwhich thins
    homemade crab salad- MADE WITH REAL CRAb MEAT
    Tuna lunch to go
    high fiber soups
    salad fixings
    leftovers from dinner-I usually have a higher protien dinner and make a lil extra for lunch next day
    Mission carb balance totillas- make sandwich wraps
    tyson grilled and ready steak and chicken strips
    lots of lunch meat- check labels for carbs
    veggies and ranch

Also, The low carb I follow is under 80 TOTAL carbs for the day...which ends up being about 50ish net carbs.
  • KatyRing
    Options
    misstresseyore- Who put you on that diet? I'm just curous. Most doctors who diagnosis PCOS wont have diet restrictions for you. Also that seems like a lot more carbs then what was reccomended to me.

However, each peron has their own way that works. Its about finding that magic formula, especially wiht PCOS. Different PCOSers have different levels of insulin resistance. I know for even me I was following a low carb diet with only about 150 carbs a day and did not lose anything..i had to restrict carbs furthur.
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    Another low carb meal for PCOS women is, 1/2 cup spaghetti noodles, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. Equals out to 33.5 carbs
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    A Nutrionalist at my OB/GYN's office. It has worked. Seems a bit much, until you see the portion sizes you are getting, and that isn't much, besides I am also on Metaformin, which helps my body use the food the way it is supposed to.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: bacon and eggs

Lunch: salmon and veggies
  • mom2allgirls
    Options
    i have not been diagnosed yet but i have had cysts problems in the past and i have all the symptoms. I was on the diet by dr orders with my last to pregnancies and he told me to continue if it helps with the weghtloss. I have been on MFP for a little over 2 months and have only been able to keep 5lbs off but i go up and down and then have to push way to hard. i think i need to try this and see what my dr says. i am witing for my appt but am starting the diet to see if it helps me.
  • mom2allgirls
    Options
    these are really good ideas, keep them coming! thanks
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I suggest you join one if not both of the low carb groups out there. There are several folks that live this lifestyle!
  • mom2allgirls
    Options
    thanks, i know i can do it! I did it twice for 9 months with my last pregnancies. It was a lot easier then though cause i had to for my babies, their lives depended on it. However now my life does too.
  • KatyRing
    Options
    i'm on metformin as well...
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't know how low carb you are trying to go but I think you would do really well for yourself if you just cut out most of the grain in your diet (i.e. breads, pastas, baked goods, cereal, etc) and focused on protein and getting most of your carbs from vegetables and fruits.

Greek yogurt is a good option if you can tolerate dairy. It is also a quick and easy one. I happen to like the taste of it plain but some don't and you can always stir in some nuts or berries (or both). You could also have omelets, quiches, other egg dishes for breakfast or even leftovers from the night before (who says breakfast has to be breakfast food?).
    Lunches are pretty easy, too. Salads with protein sliced over them (grilled chicken, shrimp, steak, even a can of tuna fish dumped on top will work) or you could do wraps in a carb controlled tortilla if you are one of those have to have a sandwich people.

I've found that since I've gone low carb I'm not nearly as hungry as I used to be and I only eat 2 meals a day now which makes meal planning and prep even easier.

Good luck!