My first test

Options
I am planning on going out to dinner on Friday for my sister's b-day and I am a little scared that I will order the wrong thing and I will eat too much. I have been watching my calories for the past week so it is new to me, but I know I can't always eat the same thing and need to enjoy eating out like I used to. But I think I enjoyed it a little too much that is why I joined MFP. HELP!!!!!

Replies

• richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It is your sisters birthday, have a night off and go and enjoy yourself, then Saturday morning carry on with your plan :smile:
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It is your sisters birthday, have a night off and go and enjoy yourself, then Saturday morning carry on with your plan :smile:

I agree! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I guess I can take a night off, thanks:happy:
  • Klova810
    Options
    Have Fun! But I'd just watch the menu descriptions, watch out for cream sauces & oil based as well. Also watch for anything fried.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If your going to a chain restaurant you can look up the menu on-line and see the nutritional value and pick the healthiest entree.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going to eat, and the place has a web site, (for example OLIVE GARDEN), you can research the nutrition info. That's what I did when I took my son to the OUTBACK. Knowing ahead of time gave me the power to choose wisely and enjoy my time without stressing about the numbers.

Bottom Line: Research, research, research!
  • alib510
    alib510 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories you get for the day and what you eat for the other meals and snacks throughout the day. If i knew I was going out, I would think about what sort of food I might be eating and work out the approximate calories in it. Then I would try to eat as few calories as possible during the rest of the day, e.g 70kcal cereal bar or fat free yogurt for breakfast, fruit for snacks, homemade vegetable soup or salad for lunch,maybe do an extra workout then go out and enjoy your sister's birthday meal. Avoid anything fried, with melted cheese or cream, too much rice or pasta and have plenty of vegetables or salad to bulk out your meal.

Just remember though, there are 21 meals in one week, if you go overboard on one you have 20 more to make it up on!

Hope you have a great time
    xxx
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If they don't have calories listed, use the info from a restaurant that serves a similar dish
  • BHAK
    BHAK Posts: 33
    Options
    One trick that I have started doing is before you even start eating ask for a to go box...divide the meal in half...put it in the box then eat what is on your plate. You still enjoy the food and the evening but you feel good as well knowing that you had restraint and are moving forward. Alot of times in the past I would "just enjoy" a meal, then since I've blown it already have a dessert and then it snowballs....that's just me though...then I feel like crap and get all self judgemental and then I say screw it...I D.G.A.S. and 4 days later I destroyed all that I had worked for the previous weeks....like I said...just me though
    Hope this helped...
    B
  • petrball
    petrball Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up with guilt about having a good time. You can get straight back on the plan the next day and have a good memory of your evening. On the other hand, keep it sensible and have a good time.

Let us know how you get on
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Most menus have healthy options. If not, ask them to leave off things you don't want and watch portions. Choose something with a lot of veggies and watch the potato and pasta options, the portion sizes are always too big. Add a salad too.
    If it is a large portion, take 1/2 home.