Trader Joes?

Options
I have been hearing about Trader Joes for a while and back home where I used to live we didnt have one but yesterday I saw one a few miles from home...is it just a regular grocery store or is more of a health store? Just wondering why so many people talk about it.

Replies

• JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    We just had one open a few weeks ago. I love it. It's a grocery store but you will find a lot of ethnic food (LOVE the curry sauces), organic items and allergen free things. I bought the snickerdoodles and didn't see they were made without the 8 most common allergens and they were delicious!! You should check it out.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It's sort of like whole foods- but better!!! I agree- their bottled sauces (curries, etc) are delish!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It's not a health store by any means. They have great quality foods for reasonable prices and have many healthy options within their store, but there are also many unhealthy, delicious choices there :bigsmile: I love the place.
  • gunny34
    Options
    I go there sometimes... It's pretty far from my house. I get stuff like edamame and different sauces and crackers.. the veggies and fruits are organic. It's a little more pricey but the food is really good and interesting. :) People always ask me what the heck am I eating now?! .. lol I eat weird to them I guess.
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    mmmm sounds good! I was waiting for a response to go check it out before I went grocery shopping...
    thanks for the input :flowerforyou:
  • 76wendyful
    Options
    :drinker: 2 buck chuck! (aka Cheap Wine)
  • Navallez
    Options
    I go there sometimes... It's pretty far from my house. I get stuff like edamame and different sauces and crackers.. the veggies and fruits are organic. It's a little more pricey but the food is really good and interesting. :) People always ask me what the heck am I eating now?! .. lol I eat weird to them I guess.

Oh so I will fit right in...my kids say Im weird anyway:wink:
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of organic and health options, but also some calorie bombs can be had! It's one of my favorite stores. They have a great wine selection, their freezer foods/single serve options are really good, and the prices tend to be pretty reasonable. You can also ask to try almost anything before you buy it and they often sample their products.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    :drinker: 2 buck chuck! (aka Cheap Wine)

THIS! I also enjoy their more pricey options but the Two Buck Chuck is pretty popular around here, although it's 2.99 Chuck now.
  • wamaverick
    wamaverick Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Its like a whole foods store. They have amazing prices on certain things and then others are a bit more expensive. Like anywhere you have to read labels and price compare.

I personally love their tea selections and they have really great nuts. We had one just open up two hours from us. The closest one before that was in Seattle, WA and when we went, I went to Trader Joe's to get some stuff.

They have a great ginger cat cookie for human, my son likes the maritime morsels (cookie), and we usually got a vitamin D supplement, and flowers! I would spend even more time in there now since I'm "watching what I eat" looking at stuff.

They also have amazing re-useable shopping sacks. I have three with the Victorian scene on them and I put my entire months worth of groceries in the three sacks! I get tons of complements on them and people asking where I got them and they get a wee bit disappointed when I say "Trader Joe's in Seattle" I also used several of these re-usable sacks for gift sacks for my family gifts at Christmas time.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It's not a health store by any means. They have great quality foods for reasonable prices and have many healthy options within their store, but there are also many unhealthy, delicious choices there :bigsmile: I love the place.

Agree and love TJ's too! Perfect for small families. My only complaint is I notice that most of the fruits/veggies are from Mexico and Chili and all wrapped in plastic. Their cheese section rocks and they have plenty of no-nitrate added meats.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love their packaged foods but I do not buy fresh produce there. My boyfriend was a driver for a food distributor and he said he saw an employee stick and organic sticker on a non organic item. I know they might not be the only store that does it and maybe it's just a reflection of that one employee but you can't just unsee something lol
  • wamaverick
    wamaverick Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    They have a soup kit for 19 Bean & barley soup that is freaking AMAZING!
  • Navallez
    Options
    It's a lot of organic and health options, but also some calorie bombs can be had! It's one of my favorite stores. They have a great wine selection, their freezer foods/single serve options are really good, and the prices tend to be pretty reasonable. You can also ask to try almost anything before you buy it and they often sample their products.

That sounds so interesting, I googled the store and read the same thing.. Employees are allowed to open a jar of almost anything except wine for you to taste...ok Im headed to Trader Joes...hopefully this will spice up my meals
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing about Trader Joes for a while and back home where I used to live we didnt have one but yesterday I saw one a few miles from home...is it just a regular grocery store or is more of a health store? Just wondering why so many people talk about it.

because it's so incredibly totally awesome!!! :) and relatively inexpensive. produce section is a little lacking but i still get fruit and some basic veggies there. i mostly love their frozen/packaged foods, desserts, snacks, and PRICES!!!!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options

That sounds so interesting, I googled the store and read the same thing.. Employees are allowed to open a jar of almost anything except wine for you to taste...ok Im headed to Trader Joes...hopefully this will spice up my meals

This happened to me on opening day. I was chatting with the ladies behind me who had a jar of curry sauce and I said to them, I wish it was like Costco where they had samples. An employee was walking by and said, let me grab you a jar and pop it open to try. It was CRAZY BUSY but he was back in a few minutes, popped the top, I tried it, loved it, been back twice to get more. It was a great experience.
  • ktsdad
    ktsdad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I call it one of the newer 'hippie' or 'yuppie' stores. You can't beat their chipotle salsa, though.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I call it one of the newer 'hippie' or 'yuppie' stores. You can't beat their chipotle salsa, though.
    Trader Joe's was established in 1958.
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Unlike typical grocery stores, which may carry 50,000 items (or SKUs), Trader Joe's stocks about 4,000 items, 80% of which bear one of its own brand names.

Trader Joe's describes itself as "your neighborhood grocery store" or "your unique grocery store". Products sold include gourmet foods, organic foods, vegetarian food, unusual frozen foods, imported foods, domestic and imported wine and beer (where local law permits), "alternative" food items, and staples like bread, cereal, eggs, dairy, coffee and produce. Non-food items include personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, plants, and flowers.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    lots of healhy organic foods, ethnic foods, and some whole foods too.... I love the store but we had a sunflower market open by my work and its my new fav.

i do get some things at trader joes that are their brand that I love but mostly sunflower market is where i go now