HR question

Options
Whenever I workout on my treadmill, my HRM says that my HR is between 170-180. Is that too high? What happens if you work out at a rate higher than your target heart rate? I have tried to slow down and stay within the target zone, but then I feel as if I am not getting a good enough workout. I don't have high blood pressure either because I just went to the dr. last Thurs and it was 120/79 or something like that. Can anyone shed some light?

Replies

• mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Whenever I workout on my treadmill, my HRM says that my HR is between 170-180. Is that too high? What happens if you work out at a rate higher than your target heart rate? I have tried to slow down and stay within the target zone, but then I feel as if I am not getting a good enough workout. I don't have high blood pressure either because I just went to the dr. last Thurs and it was 120/79 or something like that. Can anyone shed some light?
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hi Erin! Ok, I went to your profile and you said that you are 32. If you take 220-[current age]=maximum heart rate. So your max heart-rate is 188... and no joke, that's tops.

The HRM's have different pre-set "target zones" and I don't worry too much about mine. I try to get up to 196 at least a few times a week (that's my max heart rate [and now you know my age:wink: ]), but I try to keep the sustained exercise between 170-184. I'll crank on the juice for a sprint to get my heart really pumping, but then I back off pretty quick.

I am not a trained medical professional, but I would say that 170-180 is not too high (in fact, it's pretty good) unless you have some medical history that requires you to keep your HR down. And about the HRM, it's a machine: if you feel good after a workout at that rate, more power to yah!
  • doctork29
    doctork29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My normal resting HR is about 55. When I workout my HR sometimes approaches 200. I had a series of lab tests done, two separate stress tests in which we had my heart rate over 210, once at 224. The cardiologists couldn't find anything wrong, and basically said that as long as there is no pain or any other indication that something is wrong, not to worry about it. If you are concerned, ask a professional, but otherwise it could be natural. Some people have a naturally high heart rate when exercising.
  • Shanimal84
    Options
    Your blood pressure is in an acceptable range, but I would also check out your resting heart rate. You can go to most pharmacies and use the machine that checks your blood pressure - it'll check your heart rate as well. It's NORMAL for your resting heart rate to be anywhere from 50-100 bpm, but you ideally want it to stay around 75.

There are figures out there that help you calculate your target heart rate. Depending on your resting heart rate and age, will determine what is acceptable for your heart during exercise. I believe it's called the Zoladz formula or something like that...
  • mamaof2girls
    Options
    AWESOME!! Thanks for the input everyone. I was worried that I was going to drop dead while running on the treadmill one night! That would really put a damper on things.:tongue: Anyway, it is good to know that I am right where I should be. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    that isnt too high for cardio workout, but the "Fat burning range" is 80% of your MHR, or 150 range. once you go above that you start burning "fast fuels" like carbs, glucose, etc rather than fat... so it sorta matters what you are trying to burn... there is a difference between burning calories and burning fat.
  • mamaof2girls
    Options
    that isnt too high for cardio workout, but the "Fat burning range" is 80% of your MHR, or 150 range. once you go above that you start burning "fast fuels" like carbs, glucose, etc rather than fat... so it sorta matters what you are trying to burn... there is a difference between burning calories and burning fat.

Ooooohhhhh.......good to know. I do want to get rid of the fat.:grumble:
  • doctork29
    doctork29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One other thing about heart rates. Your maximum heart rate is part of the equation for calculating the target heart rate. For most people, the range for improving their cardio output is in the 80% intensity range. The formula for that is a little more complex.

Max HR = 220 - age (most simple and widely used, but there are other options)

THR = (MaxHR - RestingHR) x intensity (.80 for 80%) + restingHR

Like I said in my previous post though, some people (like me) are different. The number used as the starter is 220. I have had my HR recorded at 224. So all those calculations for me are irrelovent. I run the same all the time, track my HR and note any changes.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    These max HR numbers are as arbitrary as the BMI...there are many other factors to consider. I am an athletic & fit 54 year old who has always worked out. I cannot believe my max HR would be the same as someone my age who was overweight & out of shape. What would be comfortable for me might kill the other guy.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options

If I understand it correctly, though, those 'fast fuels' will only burn for like 15-20min.... so if you sustain the cardio for longer, or do interval training, then you circumvent that pitfall.