High Cholesterol

Options
Hello everyone,
I have recently found out that I have extremly high cholesterol and if i dont lower it by January I will have to go on medication. I do not want to start on Cholesterol medication as I am only 25 and working on a healthy lifestyle. Any tips on foods to avoid for lowering cholesterol. I have been doing some research and all I can find is foods to eat. I don't eat fish so I am going to purchase some suppliments.
Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's difficult to naturally lower cholesterol. Research has found that dietary cholesterol has very little to do with blood cholesterol levels. Try adding exercise, drinking water, and decrease the amount of fatty foods you eat. I'm praying for you, best of luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    what is the breakdown of your numbers.....I bet you need to increase your HDL
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Also do your research on the drugs your doctor proposes to give you.

Statins, the most widely prescribed family of cholesterol drugs, have not been proven to help everyone, just a small subset. Don't just blindly take what's being prescribed.
  • kimber_av
    Options
    I had it as well. I'm 24. and I hate seafood haha.
    so things I do

More water (just seemed like a good idea)
    more grains and fibers
    more veggies
    obviously less meats and high cholest. foods.
    I switched from cow milk to soy milk
    Take fish oil pills.
    exercise regularly. even if its just a 30-45min walk every evening.

it takes way longer than with pills. but i dont want to be on pills forever. but it slowlyk worked for me. i'd try and get ti as low as possible before going to pills. sometimes though if its super super high you have to start with pills and slowly come off them while makign life changes.
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My Dr. had me add fiber to my diet via Metamucil before each meal. Worked for me! Google "fiber + lower cholesterol" to learn more. Bonus~ it"s filling before sitting down to a meal.
  • scubagirl86
    scubagirl86 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The doctor explained to me that my bad cholesterol is really high (7.6) and my good cholesterol is really low (1.1) so i need to increase my good and lower my bad lol. High cholesterol does run in my family but the doctor was very suprised that it was so high since I am only 25 years old and only a little over weight (174lbs).
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Did he mention what your triglyceride # was or your blood sugar #.
  • scubagirl86
    Options
    I am going to check into some of your suggestions.
    Thank you so much. And keep the suggestions coming.
  • scubagirl86
    Options
    He probably did mention those things but he said so much I can't remember. I just know that out of the four tests I was high on all except the good cholesterol
  • neanderthin
    Options
    From what I understand statins don't work very well for most women, maybe your Dr. can direct you to those studies so you can make an better informed decision going forward.
  • SheriF63
    Options
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM i'VE BEEN BATTLEING (I ADMIT, HALF-HEARTEDLY) SINCE I'VE BEEN YOUR AGE. I AM NOW NEARLY 50 AND LOOKING AT EARLY STAGES OF DIABETES! YOU MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE A FAMILY TRAIT PREDISPOSING YOU TO THIS SINCE IT'S SO HIGH WITH A FAIRLY HEALTHY LIFESTYLE (THIS IS MY CASE), SO TAKE THE INFORMATION AND GET THIS UNDERCONTROL ASAP. TAKE CARE :flowerforyou:
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am boarder line high cholesterol and I picked up the book "Low Cholesterol Cookbook for Dummies" it not only has recipes but has a lot of reading material explaining how what foods (whole grains, fruits, veggies etc) do what in your body. To get a quick jump - apples is one fruit that helps lower cholesterol. I have found this cookbook very valuable. Good luck!
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    I've been reading studies that suggest there may be a connection between sugar intake and high cholesterol.

eta: Not the apple - the apple is good for you! :-)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I have recently found out that I have extremly high cholesterol and if i dont lower it by January I will have to go on medication. I do not want to start on Cholesterol medication as I am only 25 and working on a healthy lifestyle. Any tips on foods to avoid for lowering cholesterol. I have been doing some research and all I can find is foods to eat. I don't eat fish so I am going to purchase some suppliments.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Thank you

I could not get mine down with food and exercise, and ended up on a script. My advice is if you do make sure to ask for the lowest mg available. Turns out this did the trick for me.

My doctor had reccommended Red Rice Yeast and Omega III prior to this.

Good luck!
  • dimpleschick
    dimpleschick Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol related to thyroid disease (who knew?) Anyhow, after years of being borderline, my doctor suggested medication. I tried the statins and had severe muscle aches and weakness. He switched me to Zetia which works differently and I have no side effects and it is working to lower my numbers. I also take 4 grams of fish oil supplements daily. Get the best quality you can find. Omega oils seem to help.

You will need to reduce the amount of fat in your diet and exercise more...the kinds that makes you sweat. Losing weight will help as well.

Even though you are young, do what is necessary to lower your risk of heart disease and stroke.
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat except I have a year to get it down. I got a Kindle book by Jsosh Goldberg (yes spelled Jsosh) called "Cholesterol Down 10 simple steps...Secrets Your Doctor Won't Share." It has some good ideas in there. Good luck!!
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am 39 years old female. I have major heart disease in my family. I have to watch my numbers very carefully.

On August 11 (before starting my diet ) my numbers were
    Total:269
    HDL (Good) :56
    Triglycerides: 242
    LDL (bad) :164

I was put on pravachol 20 mgs that day and was told to take them for 2 months. I started my new diet Oct 17 and had my new reading done on 10-26
    Total: 196
    HDL (Good) 45 <---doctor says I need to exercise to get this number back up to normal. Genetics is why it went down..my dad has the same problem when he lowered his other numbers
    Triglycerides : 223
    LDL (bad): 107

My doctor was highly impressed and couldn't believe the dramatic drop!! I had never seen him smile like that before. He high fived me and said I was doing a really good job. I can't remember the last time I walked out of a doctors office feeling good like that LOL

I don't go back for another 6 months now and he wants me on the RX until then but I've since lost 15 pounds and continue to try and exercise more.

So yes statins DO work (not sure why people are so against them. My cholesterol problems are hereditary. I have major heart disease in my family and don't understand why people think exercise and diet alone can help). I am trying like hell not to be gutted open like a fish in 25 years like my parents just were back in 2007 in their mid 60's. Yes...BOTH my parents had bypasses. My mother after her MAJOR heart attack and debilitating stroke. My father had the widow maker and they caught it in time.

The major role in lowering cholesterol is exercise (the hardest part for me). The next is quitting smoking (which I did over 6 years ago). Third is to watch your intake of trans fat. Even if things say it doesn't have trans fat PER SERVING...if the package has anything that says it contains hydrogenated oil (like peanut butter)...that's the bad stuff and should be avoided!! A lot of margarines have this as well, even though per serving the amount is less than 1 gram the law states they can say its 0 gms per serving.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't have much good advice, but I can relate. I am 24 and have high cholesterol (really high). Because I have no other risk factors for heart disease, my doctor has taken me off medication.

Hopefully, my increased cardio will lower it a bit. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    A new study released recently shows that 75% of all heart attach victims had average to low cholesterol. All but 2% of those victims had very low HDL. Personally I'd rather be in the 25% that had higher cholesterol and higher HDL, basically it looks like a 3 times better chance of survival from a heart attack with higher overall cholesterol levels. What's important in my opinion is the ratio of HDL/LDL and triglyceride levels as far as I'm concerned and not necessarily low overall cholesterol, for starters.:smile:

Here's the study:

Lipid levels in patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease: an analysis of 136,905 hospitalizations in Get With The Guidelines.
    Sachdeva A, Cannon CP, Deedwania PC, Labresh KA, Smith SC Jr, Dai D, Hernandez A, Fonarow GC.
    Source

Department of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA90095-1679, USA.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:

Lipid levels among contemporary patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease (CAD) have not been well studied. This study aimed to analyze admission lipid levels in a broad contemporary population of patients hospitalized with CAD.
    METHODS:

The Get With The Guidelines database was analyzed for CAD hospitalizations from 2000 to 2006 with documented lipid levels in the first 24 hours of admission. Patients were divided into low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL), and triglyceride categories. Factors associated with LDL and HDL levels were assessed along with temporal trends.
    RESULTS:

Of 231,986 hospitalizations from 541 hospitals, admission lipid levels were documented in 136,905 (59.0%). Mean lipid levels were LDL 104.9 +/- 39.8, HDL 39.7 +/- 13.2, and triglyceride 161 +/- 128 mg/dL. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol <70 mg/dL was observed in 17.6% and ideal levels (LDL <70 with HDL > or =60 mg/dL) in only 1.4%. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol was <40 mg/dL in 54.6% of patients. Before admission, only 28,944 (21.1%) patients were receiving lipid-lowering medications. Predictors for higher LDL included female gender, no diabetes, history of hyperlipidemia, no prior lipid-lowering medications, and presenting with acute coronary syndrome. Both LDL and HDL levels declined over time (P < .0001).
    CONCLUSIONS:

In a large cohort of patients hospitalized with CAD, almost half have admission LDL levels <100 mg/dL. More than half the patients have admission HDL levels <40 mg/dL, whereas <10% have HDL > or =60 mg/dL. These findings may provide further support for recent guideline revisions with even lower LDL goals and for developing effective treatments to raise HDL.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband has been using Co-Q10 for the past year and the Dr said, "whatever you're doing, keep it up".