30 day shred neck ache..

Options
Hi I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and i'm on level 2 and i was suppose to do my second day but i stopped as my neck and should are killllllling me..is this normal after doing level 2? What would be the best advice to avoid straining my neck and shoulder in future.

Replies

• cupcakethefatclown
    Options
    omg did you let your neck go to the abs party!? =o
  • deblc6836
    Options
    I don't think the 30 Day Shred gives you enough warm up or cool down. I quit during Level 2 due to knee and shoulder issues. I did much better with P90x -- but it is a bigger time commitment, of course.
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eek, I started lvl 2 today! I hope my neck doesn't hurt tomorrow. I know the neck rolls are new, maybe you pulled something?
    Feel better soon!!!
  • Kimmy546
    Kimmy546 Posts: 102
    Options
    you might be pulling you neck during the ab portion, try to use your finge tips on your temples so your not pulling your neck and look at the ceiling not the tv when your on the mat... I felt like I was hit by a train at some points... day 5 day 15 day 23....lol it's normal... and the "pain" well this too shall pass! Keep it up!
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I was unable to keep my neck outta the ab party. I'm in level 3 now and I like it much better than level 2. I hated level 2.
  • annanuttall
    Options
    I remembered after doing level 1, the day after i was aching like crazy. Hmm i think i give it a rest today and tommrow and i go swimming instead.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are doing something not quite right, you shouldn't have neck problems. You need to do extra stretching before you do that. they do give you a warm up but unless you are in SUPERIOR condition, you need to do extra on your own before you do the video.
  • SarahE0417
    Options
    I finished level 2 day 2 today as well..and i am definately feeling it! my neck, shoulders, abs, lower back.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options

rrrrrrrrrofl
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    check your abs exercises, try looking up to the ceiling and putting your fingertips on your temples rather than behind your ears.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

I actually LOL'd at this! HA! :laugh:
  • FitChic13
    FitChic13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yep, I put my neck out too and my deltoids were killing me! I saw my physio and we determined it was straining the chin forward during push ups instead of keeping the head flat. Jillian gives all the correct instructions for form - we just need to follow them! With regards to the sore shoulders - it was muscle soreness not injury soreness and I worked through it by lowering the weights (from 4 pound to 2 pound) but pushed myself back to the 4 pound. After 7 days I feel great! So much stronger and body is trimming down. Very excited to carry on to the end!
    Good Luck!

Lisa:smile:
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    your doing your abs with your neck try not to invole you neck in any excercise it will get hurt... try to think of your throat pulling rather than your neck... i did like 20 min of yoga and i stoped cause my neck hurt the next day... i was just streaching the wrong way lol
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Ahahahaha ^ this

Also, are you trying to watch the tv while doing the planks? When I first started level 2 it pissed me off that she is just like "Let's do THIS!" but I dont know what it is or how it should look. I found myself trying to look at the tv more than focusing on the exercises.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had an achy neck and upper back after doing the side lunges with raises... those are really hard for me to do without dipping my neck forward and pulling the muscles.

That said, GURRRL stick with it and keep going! If something is really hurting you, just modify it a little (I did bicep curls until I could do the raises).
  • annanuttall
    Options
    Hmm i just done half of level 2, i kinda felt bad for missing a day as i'm doing 30 day straight. With the abs i modfied it to using lower abs and not actually straining myself, i did more jumping jack (which i hate) and abs twister when it came to strength..
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I agree with everyone else; this is some seriously funny stuff.
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The way I trained myself to avoid the neck issue and learn that you have to keep your chin up, is to put a tennis ball or orange under your chin. I know it sounds silly, but truly, it works. Also, make sure your elbows are NOT pulled forward. That pulls on your neck also. You may feel that you don't feel it as much in your abs when you do this, but it is effective and you should avoid the whole neck pain thing.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Cracking up. Hahaha!

The neck ache actually happened to me too.... it stopped when my abs got stronger and I wasn't trying to use my neck instead of my non-existent ab muscles.
  • jessjphillips
    jessjphillips Posts: 72 Member
    Options

This made me laugh :)