? for obese people about HRM

Options
Hi I have a question about what Heart Rate Monitor you guys use. The reason I am asking the more obese people is because I have a pedometer and I find it is not accurate in calculating my steps and I am thinking because it doesn't sit flat against my leg? it sits against my stomach (spare tire of fat :( soon to be less )So I am wondering maybe having so much extra fat could affect a HRM also? I dunno I am open to all opinions. Anyways so what HRM do you use and like and approx cost you paid. And does it have a chest band and really what is that for? I am sorry to sound so uneducated about this but I am new to this and want to increase my chances of losing the 100+ pounds I need to lose and keep it off. So thanks for any advice . Also any other staples (weightloss supplies) you find you couldn't live with out? I can not afford time wise or money wise to have a gym membership so everything I do is at home. Thank you.

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR60 and I love it. It has a chest strap and really, you don't want one that doesn't have a chest strap - they're just not as accurate. I paid around $90 for mine. I'm not sure how obese you actually are, but I was pushing 300 when I got mine and it's worked just fine. If you want it to count steps, though, make sure you get one that has the foot pod with it (as far as Garmin goes). Message me if you have any specific questions about the one I have as I'm not on the message boards as much.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 208 and I want to get down to 140ish. I use a Polar FT4 and it cost me about $90 or so. It does have a chest strap which has a transmitter on it. The HRMs with a chest strap are more accurate than just the watches because they have a more accurate reading of your heart. I love my HRM. I hope this helps a little!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My mom bought my HRM and after it shipped to me I think the total price was 100 dollars (I could be off) I do not even remember the brand it is but I love it.

The chest strap works wonderfully, as it sits below my breasts and flat against my skin, it took a bit to get used to but now it is no worse than my sports bra. I got the one I have because its water proof (can wear it to lane swim), it has a timer counts the calories burned etc. It also has my personal info (height, weight, age etc.) that way I can get a good estimate on my calories burned.

I think I read a post not that long ago that said the Polar HRM's are about 75 dollars.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I would like to know this as well. I am not in the market for an HRM yet, but I would like to get one eventually.

I do have a pedometer, an Omron 720, it sits in my pocket and is extremely accurate for walking.
  • amberfossum
    Options
    I have a tip for the pedometer problem. Put it on the outside lip of your shoe. It will stay upright better and be more accurate....works for me!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    For a pedometer I have an Omron brand, you can get them on Amazon. It is very acurate, Ive tested it out serval time, even the distance is correct.

For the HRM, you need to have the chest strap so it can read your heart rate. If you wear it properly, take care of it as instructed, it will be as accurate as you can get.
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    i cant help you with the question about the heart rate monitor, but i can tell you one thing that i really cant live without as far as what it takes to loose a lot of weight...a good quality meal replacement shake!

ive found that it lets me stay on track each and every day since i am so busy and just dont always have time to prepare every meal every day. if im running out the door in the morning...if im starving between lunch and dinner its a safe, go to meal that fills me up, helps heal my muscles and makes me feel like im doing something good for myself...

my favorite shakes are from Myoplex Lite...the powder flavors are all good and the ready to drink ones are all good too...

im going to try Met-RX next since ive heard good things about them and they are huge being 16 to 20 oz each...

good luck...loosing weight is not easy...
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think a HRM would be great for you. I just got a Polar FT7 about a week ago. It has a chest strap, and I think that is is the only way to go. The chest strap goes just under your bra line if you are a girl or under the pecks if you are male. And it picks up your heart rate from there, and sends it to the watch wirelessly. It is the most accurate way to get your heart rate and your calories burned. You are going to want to make sure the heart rate monitor that you get gives you the option of entering your, height, weight, age, sex... etc. if i doesn't, it won't give you an accurate calorie burn count.

Things I reccomend are... HRM, digital food scale, and a digital scale to weigh yourself. And if you don't have any yet... a good pair of work out shoes are very important too.

Good luck on your journey. I myself am looking to lose 100-140lbs. Eeeek! It is going to be a long road.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Get a chest strap.Any will do the job much better than the wrist sensor.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4, and I do have to wear a strap that hooks over my sternum, slightly underneath my breasts. I have the spare tire look-- so I go from pretty flat to mountainous glory with my torso. I have not had any problems with the strap in that flatter area, and I believe it to be quite accurate in terms of calculating my heart rate and calories burned. I do not think it acts as a pedometer, however. For exercise, it works like a charm.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know it is an expensive option but I am a real fan of my Ki Fit (UK version of the bodybugg or Bodymedia fit in the US)

It does not measure heart rate but steps, activity, cals burnt, sleep etc.... you ware it all day and it is a simple arm band

I have found it really useful so far for keeping me on track and being able to pace myself through the day in order to keep my cals used up

it is also accurate to within a few % and overall is more accurate in terms of cal use that a HRM

Lucy
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, I got it off a website on sale for $80 i think. The best thing I have bought is a food scale. I got mine off amazon for $25, but I know they have cheaper ones. Your diet is 80% of weightloss so being exact about your food intake is very important. Try doing the 30 day shred, it is a short but intense workout and is only $10 for the dvd.
  • startingover42
    Options
    I have a Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch with chest strap and I love it. I even have two. It was $38.50 on Amazon.com with free shipping. I used one during the summer in the pool and it worked fabulous during my water aerobics class. I went from 251 to my current weight of 219. I have never had any problems with the strap just have to make sure that it is wet down in certain areas and attached right under my bra. Works just great. I also bought a food scale at Bed Bath and Beyond and I love it as well. I use it to measure rice and cereals mostly. One of the best things I bought was a stationary bike for my house. I got it from a friend who put it on Facebook. She was trying to get rid of it because it was collecting dust for her. It comes in very handy when I can't make it to the gym or when the weather is too bad outside during the winter. Good luck to you..hope this was a bit helpful.
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments I will be looking on ebay and amazon and local stores for sales. Hope to get one in the next few weeks. If not i'll put it on my xmas list for hubby. Always welcoming more advice. thx
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar ft4 from Target for 89.00. I really love it. It sits under my breast just fine and comfortable too.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT4 off of a website called Heart Rate Monitors USA. I had to order the bronze one (limited color selection for the $) but I got it for $65 and free shipping. Will take about a week to get it. It has the chest strap/transmitter with it. Good Luck!
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do you guys wear your HRM all day everyday or just when you are doing a workout? is it designed to be worn 24/7? or just during workout
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I wear mine just during workouts
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I LOVE it. I wear it every time I work out. I bought it on Amazon.com a few months ago.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    30 yr old ,male, 6'3, 460 lbs. is what my stats were when I got my Polar FT40 back in Nov. 2009. Do not worry about being too big or fat to wear one. I got mine of amazon with the XXL strap and it was snug but it fit. Worked fine for calories burned. I found it was a huge eye opener. 1hr of walking MFP estimated me burning 700-800 calories but my Polar HRM actually had me 1200-1400 calories burned. It was pricey, I think I paid 110-120$ but worth the investment.