Can I change where/how it subtracts my calories from Excerci

Options
Right now it displays my information under CALORIES REMAINING is: GOAL, FOOD, EXCERCISE = NET

So, if my goal 1500, and I've had 515 from food today, and -215 from exercise, = a net of 300. (Resulting in 1200 calories remaining.)

I don't like this because seems to encourage me to eat more if I choose to exercise more on a current day. I'm on a very regimented diet. What I eat is planned and cooked a week in advance, and I don't deviate from that plan. That makes my intake pretty static. My excercise can vary, though, depending on what is happening that day in my life.

So I guess what I'm really asking is, is there a way to have MFP track my calories burned from exercise, but NOT factor that into my daily food caloric intake goal?

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It's encouraging you to eat more because you SHOULD.
    You should be eating at least half if not all of your exercise calories back. Your number BEFORE exercise already has a deficit built in.

if you don't want it to do this, then you should change your goals and set you activity level to active -- then not track your exercise.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    This just confused the hell out of me

but i think the answer is no
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You should eat more when you exercise. This is the fundamental concept on which this site is based.

If you don't like it - don't log your exercise.

:flowerforyou:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Right now it displays my information under CALORIES REMAINING is: GOAL, FOOD, EXCERCISE = NET

So, if my goal 1500, and I've had 515 from food today, and -215 from exercise, = a net of 300. (Resulting in 1200 calories remaining.)

I don't like this because seems to encourage me to eat more if I choose to exercise more on a current day. I'm on a very regimented diet. What I eat is planned and cooked a week in advance, and I don't deviate from that plan. That makes my intake pretty static. My excercise can vary, though, depending on what is happening that day in my life.

So I guess what I'm really asking is, is there a way to have MFP track my calories burned from exercise, but NOT factor that into my daily food caloric intake goal?

If you got the 1500 from MFP, then they ARE encouraging you to exercise and eat more. If you are not following MFP's guidelines and doing your own thing or a doctor's plan and just using the site to track then you could simply stop inputting your exercise. Maybe just make a note on your food diary of what you did that day if you'd like to keep track of it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's encouraging you to eat more because you SHOULD.
    You should be eating at least half if not all of your exercise calories back. Your number BEFORE exercise already has a deficit built in.

if you don't want it to do this, then you should change your goals and set you activity level to active -- then not track your exercise.

Agreed, 100%
  • AshleyAmmerman
    Options
    My start out calorie intake each day is 1,200 calories. I exert anywhere from 500 to 900 calories a day. There I am not going to just eat 1,200 calories. That, in all respects, would be stupid. If I burn 500 calories I will eat at the very LEAST 1,400 calories and that is pushing it. If i burn 900 calories I will eat about 1,700 calories at the least. It is smart to eat back at least some of your calories. It is nice that your meals are all planned out but if they are adding up to roughly 1,500 calories and lets say you are burning 500 calories a day, you NEED more food.

Loosing weight should be a life style change. Not a diet. Diets end eventually, life changes are more permanent. It is encouraging you to eat more because your body needs more energy. I personally never eat back ALL my calories. But I do eat back around half of them or close to it. But like others have said, if ya don't want to see that mess on your profile, then do not log your calories. Since it doesn't sound like you are going to change what you are doing anyways.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I want to eat 1600 calories per day, even on my rest days! I don't want to eat less on my rest days. So I sometimes wish I could just set a calorie consumed goal without it doing the net stuff. I suppose you could just enter your exercise yourself as 0 calories, or as an exercise note with how many calories burned, so it wouldn't add them. GL