KIDNEY TRANSPLANT

Options
Hello, my name is Cynthia. I received a kidney transplant (what a blessing) on "Thanksgiving" Day 2008. My kidney is functioning 100%, but the Prednisone is killing me. Actually, I continue to blame it on the Prednisone, but it is more about the fried chicken and no exercise I continue to do that makes me disgusted. I desperately desire to lose enough weight to get me back down to at least a size 14. I am glad to have friends to help me along this journey. Thanks in advance for all your support, peace, and blessings to all. Here I go!

Replies

• rococo11
    rococo11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your transplant! but a word of caution, make sure you consult your doctor before you start an intensive exercise program or diet. My older sister had a transplant a year ago and the doctor said no exercise machines, running or gym membership etc. She can essentially go for nice walks. But good luck and congrats
  • AimGal
    AimGal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Cynthia,

First CONGRATULATIONS on your transplant! I have a friend who's going to be having a kidney transplant shortly. That's not an easy process.

I hear you on the prednisone. I call it "b*tch in a bottle." I have Lupus and Ankylosing Spondylitis with some lung complications, so I tend to go on and off the stuff. I absolutely hate it, yet there's not much choice when you're talking life and death.

My best advice is to just keep at it. Get whatever sort of exercise your doctor says you can do, log your eating so you can figure out your patterns (even on days when you have the "pred munchies" and go over your limit, still log it!) The more you get used to logging your food, the more you begin thinking about whether it's worth it to spend the calories on that piece of fried chicken. Some days it's totally worth it; some days you decide to peel off the skin and eat a bit of white meat and call it good. You may even find you don't like some of the junky stuff once you've been eating healthy for awhile.

Also, it sounds like you're being very hard on yourself. Don't forget to treat yourself like you would someone you love. Forgive your mistakes and move on; allow yourself to be human and don't expect perfection. Give yourself credit for surviving. Every bit of progress is just that - progress on the path toward being healthy.

Hang in there. You can do this.
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on the transplant and new lifestyle :) Glad you're here at MFP! I'm pretty new here too, I love all the support I'm finding here. Wishing you great success!
  • Leeannedra
    Options
    Congrats on the kidney!! I just had two hips replaced and still am waiting for the OK to work out. In the meantime I've gained a lot of weight over the last few years because I couldn't exercise much and I ate too much. So i'm starting back on a healthy moderate serving diet and looking forward to exercise in a week
  • Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your transplant. I feel you. I had a kidney transplant December, 2010 and I have gained 15 pounds since the transplant, but 25 pounds the year before on PD. Now I am training for a half marathon at the end of this month. I have not lost a single pound but I am sure that if I was not doing this and using Myfitnesspal I would weigh even more. Keep moving forward.
  • DONNA10044
    DONNA10044 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi congrats on your transplant, I received a heart/lung tx in dec2004 also have trouble with the dreaded prednisone I was managing it at just 15 PDs until I was 3yrs out then I got pregnant and gained another 40 :/ I I got rid of 25 PDs pregnancy weight but still stuck with 15 of plus the original 15 I want so despRtly to lose it but weight is very stubborn when prednisone is involved it seems to shut your metabo down but I am Still determined to lose it lol 4yrs later. Good luck to you :)
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    Hi all! I've not been as active on MFP for a while, but Maputi connected with me, and glad she did. I had a kidney transplant in July 2007. My big brother was my donor, and both he and I have been doing well. I am on the anti-rejection meds and Prednisone. I spoke to my nephrologist last month at my follow-up and he suggested walking up and down steps to change up my exercise routine. Only problem is, we live in a one-story home and out in the country, so there's no steps available lol! I just continue to eat healthy, exercise with Leslie Sansone, our Wii, or dance with the dance channel. I hope for all of you great health!! Kris :flowerforyou:
  • Leviram
    Options
    Congratulations on your kidney transplant! I had a liver transplant 21 years ago and understand the prednisone (Aka ***** in a bottle) although I didn't gain weight with it just made my muscle less and less I took it for over 10 years. What I found worked for me was little meals all day. Kind of snacking nutritous all the time and lots and lots of water. Now that I have been off of it for over 5 years I gain weight to a different issue I have Graves. Anyhow WELCOME! We should make a transplant/donor group!