One for the horsey folks.....

Options
So - here's a question - has anyone ever thought about the calories burnt doing hays and waters, or mucking out. I had planned to ride today but Bumble (the horse) has thrown a shoe so I just went up to see him and helped out a bit by doing the hays and waters for the 6 horses there plus made up the nets for tonight. I would have mucked out as well but John (his owner) wasn't back with the bedding. I was curious to try and work out how many calories I burnt - not many I'm sure but its outside my daily activity so guess it would count for something!

Replies

• PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I would definitly wear your HRM to check, I bet you'd be surprised. I don't know what your barn is like, but ours was alot of lugging crap around. (Literally, and figuritivly!) (sp?)
    I miss my stall cleaning days!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You could count "heavy cleaning"? And ""weight-lifting"? "Walking"...
    Hope someone has a more specific answer. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used to clean stalls daily. I never considered it exercise because it was my daily routine. But, if you happened to randomly do a bunch of work (cleaning stalls, lugging 5 gal water buckets, throwing hay around for awhile) and you don't normally do that, then I would wear an HRM and see what it equates to. (sounds like this is the case for you)