Hi Everyone

Options
My name is Carol and I have been seriosly struggling with my weight. During the past year I have gained about 25lbs and I am so stuck. I am looking for some encouragement - conversation, sharing anything to move me off of my emotional eating rollercoaster. I am afraid, literally afraid that I won't stop myself!!! I want to do this, I have all the tools I need it is just a matter of using them! Carol

Replies

• carolann52
    Options
    My name is Carol and I have been seriosly struggling with my weight. During the past year I have gained about 25lbs and I am so stuck. I am looking for some encouragement - conversation, sharing anything to move me off of my emotional eating rollercoaster. I am afraid, literally afraid that I won't stop myself!!! I want to do this, I have all the tools I need it is just a matter of using them! Carol
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Saying it "out loud" -- or virtually out loud, as is the case in an online community -- is a great first step. Emotional eating is a tough habit to kick, and the first piece of advice I can give you is don't be too hard on yourself -- it will just cause you to feel worse, and if you eat when you feel bad it can be a vicious circle!

Use this site to it's fullest . . . track your calories, and be brutally honest about what you are/aren't eating and what exercise you are/aren't doing . . . seeing it in print each days makes me far more accountable. Also, when you have the urge to eat, jump on to the message boards here and read through posts . . . it passes time, you may be able to help someone and that always lifts the spirits, and you may find inspiration for yourself to push past the urge to eat.

I also find keeping a journal is a big help to keep me from emotional eating -- I put my emotions into words, not calories. If you don't have a place already that you journal, you can use the blog section on here! Great way to get the emotions out of you without replacing them with food.

Best of luck!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Carol! Welcome to MFP! You have joined a wonderful community!

I'm 52 years of age and over the last year, following the advice from this site, I have lost 25lbs...my member photo is when I weighed 150 and am now at 135...just 5lbs away from goal.

No matter what you currently weigh, you can succeed and obtain your goals...it is a life changing journey...fast weight loss is not healthy and it causes loose skin.

Love yourself as you are and enjoy your progress...it takes practice, just like anything else...I've fallen off the wagon on a few occassions but have never given up!

Ask us anything you want to and review the message boards for info...there are many fitness educated folks around here that I've received great advice from...we all support one another!

My fitness routine is fun, gentle and feminine, yet powerful...I practice bellydance all of the time and am currently practicing pilates! I never tire of dance but I switch up the pilates with yoga and weight training.

So happy to have you as our new friend!
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    You can do it! I just started this program and can relate to your story. I've been fighting binge eating for years. It takes a lot of honesty with yourself to break that cycle. You have to be willing to be mindful of why you are eating each and every calorie when you are eating it. This site can be a tremendous help for people like us. What I've been doing is using it like a bank account. I enter what I'm going to eat before I eat it. When the calories I can eat are gone...I'm done eating for the day. It is helping me make better choices...I can stil have treats now and then...as long as they fit into my calorie count for the day. I even had an Arby's Bacon & Bleu Roastburger last week..and came up a smidge under my calorie count for the day! I didn't miss the curly fries...I don't like them anyway! Anyway...you can do it, I have confidence in you!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :drinker: :happy:
  • crazybaby
    crazybaby Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi i feel the same as you and im only new too. I love food soooooooo much :bigsmile: hopefully this site will help :smile:
  • kathypatton
    Options
    Hi, Carol my name is Kathy and I feel the same. Don't give up!!!! I struggle everyday with food. I work with someone who helps me through the times that I seem to feel I can't make it and he lifts me up and keeps my focused. the most important thing that he has taught my is to practice being a mindful eating. teaching to take the time to enjoy the foods that I eat even if it's a food that I shouldn't eat. He taught my that if you're going to eat something you should do it mindfully. And to listen to your body for those hungry cues and to eat until you're satisfied not full because there's a difference. Just hang in there you'll make it and reach your goal!!! Good luck!