Is C25K right for me?

Options
So here's the situation.

I'm fairly in shape; I spend 30 minutes on the elliptical every weekday morning, with an average page of about 8:30/mile. I do a Zumba class on Saturdays for an hour, and while it does make me sweaty and breathless I can complete it no problem. I've managed things like a 100 minute Zumbathon, as well, so...I wouldn't say I'm out of shape.

I'm really jealous of the people I see running on the bike path and even on the treadmill, however. Despite my apparent endurance on the elliptical, I can't seem to actually run with anywhere near the success I've had on the machine. I think I'm lacking the muscle power in my legs to actually drive myself at a rate I feel adequate for any length of time, when I try; it's not that I get out of breath, I just get so TIRED.

I REALLY want to be a runner. I want to derive joy from lacing up my shoes and pounding the pavement for an hour, and I'm really after that awesome runner's figure. :) So I was considering starting the C25K program, but I'm not sure. I may not be super-fit, but I'm not a couch-potato, and I worry that C25K is too easy/starts at too low a level for me, if that makes any sense. I'm just not sure it's right for me. I love the idea of a structured program like that which takes the guesswork out of running/walking times and gives me a strict schedule to follow, but I'm not sure I'd get out of it what I'd like to.

I also don't want to overshoot myself and end up frustrated from trying to do too much too fast, but I lose patience if I'm not feeling challenged enough. Can anybody tell me if they think C25K is gonna help give me what I'm looking for, or if they know of another similar program that might be a little more my "speed"?

Thanks, MFP!

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Only one way to find out if its right for you... Try it! You may find you are more advanced than most people (ie using the elliptical as much as you do) but C25K works for a great many people. It is a way to move into running successfully without injury (consider that your legs aren't used to pounding the pavement yet)

Hope it helps!
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Go try it. If it's too easy, do the next weeks workout. You sound like you're overthinking it.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It worked for me.

I couldn't even jog a block without thinking I was dying.

Now I trained for a half marathon a year after doing the c25k.

It really does work.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    The beauty of the program is that you can skip weeks, or even repeat weeks, if you like. Tailor it to your needs. it's a great way to ease into running. Once you've graduated and mastered the final challenge, you can use the Bridge to 10K program.

A group has been created, where participants can share info and success. It's public, and you're welcome to join!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Happy running!
  • LHJRN150
    Options
    Sure. So what if it's "easy", you gotta start somewhere right? I have done it myself and am starting up again after an exercise hiatus. Running uses different muscle groups than what you use for your other activities. So starting a C25K program will ease you into running. At 40 yrs old I first started the program after not doing ANY activity and ran my first 5K 9wks later. It wasn't pretty and I certainly wasn't the fastest, but I did run the whole thing. My C25K program I did was the Podrunner podcast on iTunes. He has also done 8k and 10k training programs.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do it!

It may kick your tail like it's currently doing mine. I, too, can do an hour easy on the elliptical, but running on pavement is kicking my butt!!

I grumble about how much I don't like/love running yet, BUT......I do love the sense of accomplishment I feel when I beat that little voice inside my head telling me to quit and that I can't do it.

Like someone else said, though, the only way you'll know is if you try it.

If you're planning to run any 5K's or anything, though, I would definitely suggest running on pavement. If not and you're going to do it on a treadmill, then bump up the incline to stimulate uneven pavement.

Good luck!!!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It worked for me and you are apparently in far better shape than I was when I started C25K last year.
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've found that rocking it on an elliptical machine does not equate to rocking it running. I've tried C25K; it was hard. Even for someone who had no problem with 35 minutes on an elliptical. It's a totally different motion and definitely higher impact. But I'm going to stick with it because, like you, running on bike paths looks so much more fun than being stuck on a machine in the gym.

The only way you'll know if C25K is right for you is to try it.
  • HAPage24
    HAPage24 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I too have always envied those running on the "bike path", so I started using the c25k program 4 weeks ago. I am not out of shape, but couldn't run for a long duration. I would suggest giving the program a try. If you complete week 1 and feel you are more advanced than that skip to week 3 and give that a try. Thus far I love the program and have been pleased with my progress, each day I feel that much stronger.
  • beamishcas
    beamishcas Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, try it. I actually just started it this week . I did Week 1 day 2 this morning. So far so good, It is quite a workout. I am doing it on the treadmill.
  • lsunderl
    Options
    Don't know if you have the option or not but the Running Room (lots of other similar programs) has really helped me gain knowledge in regards to running. ie, how not to hurt yourself, what clothes to wear, how much you should run at first, how to increase your distance, pace, etc.

They run classes where you run once in a clinic and then two practice runs per week. I started with a Learn to Run class 2 years ago and completed 3 5K's and a 10K in my first year. I had several injuries and setbacks but that kept me from running this past year but I'm back pounding pavement again.

I could not run for more than 2 minutes at a time when I started. I'm not running marathons yet but I'm a heck of a lot faster and fitter than when I started. So rather than think that you're "not the running type" just like with anything else, start at the bottom, learn the basics and then advance. Don't try to beat anyone's record's but your own.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Go try it. If it's too easy, do the next weeks workout. You sound like you're overthinking it.

WAY overthinking it - just try it.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've done the program twice (once before getting pregnant and then after).

The second time I did it I started around week 3. You'll find it may not be all physical but mental too getting over time/distance hurdles.

I recently ran my first 1/2 marathon and I'm now training for #2 in January. I despised running before doing this program, but aspired to be a runner. It worked for me :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, too, that running free on pavement is different than running on a treadmill. My father and sister both are runners, and they said running on a treadmill is not the same. That means that "running" on an elliptical, while a similar motion, may not be the same as running on the pavement. On an elliptical (I use the elliptical all the time), you are using a stride similar to running, but your feet aren't leaving the pedals. So running will be different. Your joints (particularly knees and ankles) will need some time to adjust.

I'm planning on starting C25K soon (once we figure out if I have to have my gallbladder out--I don't want to start and have to stop halfway through for gallbladder surgery!). I'll start at the beginning and work up just because my joints will need time to adjust to the extra stress of pounding the pavement. I think my endurance will be fine from my time on the elliptical, but running will feel different and I don't want to stress my body out trying to do too much. Plus, my 13 year old daughter is going to do it with me, and she needs time to adjust to it, too.

Why don't you start with the lowest level, then listen to your body. There's no hard and fast rule that you have to follow all the way from the beginning, but you still want to give your body time to adapt to this new form of torture you're putting it through--:laugh:. You can always bump up through the levels faster than normal if your body is handling it okay. The last thing you want is to injure yourself to the point that you can't do ANYTHING.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I'm especially curious since I'll be starting it soon (hopefully).
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I am doing w2d2 today after work - I love it
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    I would say start on week 2 or 3... You can always adjust your starting point. Just try! :) It's fun.
  • astlund48
    astlund48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done the program & it DOES work! Ran a 5K shortly after completing it in 33 mins. and since then increased my mileage. If one stage feels too easy, go for the next; that easy. Do you do any weight training? I'm a firm believer it has helped my endurance & I don't fatigue as easy. Give that a whirl also. Hope this helps :)
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    I started C25K running outside and made it through week 6 before it got cold & rainy. I joined a gym about 2 weeks ago and found it more challenging to run on the treadmill than outside. I was also doing about 30 minutes on the elliptical after I ran. I find the breathing more challenging in running on the treadmill.

Anyone can do C25K, it just takes time and perserverence. Good luck.
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All right, all right--you've all convinced me. :D I figure if I start the program this coming week, I'll be graduated by my birthday, and I figure that's a pretty awesome birthday gift to give myself! Thanks everyone!