5 k challenge (one month)

Options
bono
bono Posts: 179 Member
anyone interested in joining me in doing 5 k (3 mile) challenge? Five days a week for a month. Run, walk or jog.

Replies

• jhnye85
    jhnye85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just signed up for my first 5k, taking place on December 4th. I don't really have a training program, and I can run 5k I just want to bring my time down to under 30 minutes. What did you have in mind for training?
  • bono
    Options
    I am really looking at getting on a consistent exercise plan. Over the past couple of weeks I have been walking 5 k four times a week and I want to kick it up to five days with one day being a hill walk. Whatever program works for you as long as you commit to one month.
  • jhnye85
    Options
    Have you ever looked into the Couch 2 5K program? It's a 9 week program, but I'm sure you could condense to one month. It would be especially helpful to you if you're starting as a walker. I think the important thing is to build up your endurance first. Is your goal to run or just walk? Just adding one more day onto your routine shouldn't be too difficult. But maybe save the hill walk for the weekend so your body can recover.

When I started running, almost 3 months ago, I could barely run for longer than 30 seconds. Yesterday, I ran 5k in 40 minutes, on the treadmill alternating between 4 and 5 mph. Today I am going to see if i can do it in less time, and as little walking as possible. I haven't nailed down a consistent plan yet, but my goal is to run 5k at least 3-4 times Mon-Fri, and once on the weekend outdoors.
  • bono
    Options
    Excellent! I have ran in the past, but my goal this time is to walk 25 k a week and then maybe after the month I will look at running. I have a back issue that seems to flare up when I run, so I will start with walking and see where it leads. We have one other person joining us, should we just post on our own walls?
  • jhnye85
    Options
    What a great goal! 25k a week is huge! I would love to manage that much in a week but will probably run closer to 15-20k a week. How about we start a group? It's new to MFP and I think it might work.
  • bono
    Options
    Works for me. I will figure out how to start a group and invite you
  • Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I'm doing the c25k - I'm ending week 4 and would love to be a part of this group. I don't have convenient access to a treadmill, so I'm an outside runner (though winter is approaching, so I may rethink that plan... lol). I usually add an extra 5-8 min jog in the middle of the program - gives me a 3-3.5 jog/walk workout... would love to get to the point where it's all a jog... but that will come in time... anyway, as I said I would love to join your 5k challenge! Thanks!
  • bono
    Options
    Not to late. I had a stomach flu and have not set up the group, but will today
  • Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better!