Insanity

Options
Ok, here's the deal. I've been on a few different sites now for about 1 1/2 months and am happy with the results....I was a 230 lb guy and now down to 212 with a goal of 185 eventually. My wife is into tracking and exercising as well and mentioned to me about buying Insanity. Here's the issues though:

1) I spin right now around 2-3 times a week and love it. With insanity do you think a spin class/week is still realistic
2) We have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and fight for times to work out. Possible we can both do this? how long are the workouts

I really would like to try it, but don't want to buy it if 1-were not going to be able to do the whole thing and 2- we both like it. What are the thoughts from everyone that has done this? Anyone have a used one they want to sell?

Replies

• Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Insanity fries your legs. If you're going to actually do the Insanity program I'd say that including spin would be to much. If you just want to add a few Insanity workouts to your spin program that might be ok but be careful.

The first month workouts are 40 minutes. The second month they are an hour.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In your case, if you have something you like to do, just challenge yourself at that. Keep up with the Spinning. Save the money. If you need a new challenge, wait till the baby goes to bed or something and do Insanity. Just a thought though, Insanity probably is the fastest way to burn calories that I have found. My friend has burned like a 1000+ calories in an hour doing the MAX Insanity and I did my first MAX Insanity today and couldn't complete the workout, it was too tough. I'll finish it soon. But I do p90x and Insanity together, kind of a hybrid.
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think (from what I've heard) You would love it. It would be a good thing for you and your wife to do together.. Maybe you can do it after you put your baby to bed, or get up early and do it before she wakes up :) Good luck to both of you!
  • MelanaK
    Options
    I think the longest workout is 45 minutes or less. I know my 3 year old likes to be right next to me when I try to do it, though, so I try to get up early and finish before she wakes up. But it is pretty funny when she tries to join in, so even if she is there, sometimes it makes the workout easier with the comic relief of a three year old doing mountain climbers :o). And they are short enough you can probably put in a movie or ger her a coloring book page to buy yourself some uninterrupted time. I still do my other exercises and just do the insanity on my off days. I am not sure if it is the same as sticking to their routine, but I am down twelve pounds and definitely stronger. Warning, insanity is not for someone with bad knees! It about kills mine on days when there is a lot of jumping.
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it together... maybe during a nap time or after shes put to bed... The hardest part is being dedicated to doing the workout without letting excuses getting in the way... we all will help you !
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I spin three times a week and recently started Insanity. Finishing up the third week. I love it. Do I do it every day? No. I can do it on the days I have an easy ride, or on weekends, or on days I'm feeling like a powerhouse. Recently I took it with me when we traveled and did it in our hotel room. You might not necessarily see the results promised in 60 days if you do it this way, but it's good to be flexible. It's also nice that you can do it at home when you feel like it (so you don't have to worry much about childcare).

Insanity doesn't provide a HUGE calorie burn, but the overall benefits of incorporating strength moves with cardio are tremendous. It's an efficient way to train, and you will see and feel your body change. I see it as a great complement to something like Spinning.

Also, Insanity can be brutal on your knees. It's really important that you do the warm-up and cooldown, and all the stretches. I have knee issues and this has made all the difference for me.

Good luck!
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the feedback, i'm thinking of buying it and then doing it 3 days/week.....I know it's not exactly what you are supposed to do but i can still spin 1 or 2 days and then my whole i hate lifting weight thing is taken care of
  • strivingforhealth
    Options
    Does anyone know where to get insanity for cheap?
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 2......I am reasonably fit, running, weight training, gym, spinning etc......I have NEVER done anything like this before!!! It really does live up to its name! having said that, I'm loving it! it mentally and physically pushes you to your limits!!!!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Wish I knew, hope someone could clue us in :)
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Wish I knew, hope someone could clue us in :)

I bought mine for $40 all DVDs included :D
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Where from Em?
  • doornumber03
    Options
    would love to know where you got it for 40.00 assuming ebay or something?

I think i'm going to do this. I'm not doing the full 6 days/week with it because i do love spinning. I'm thinking of doing 2 spin classes and probably 4insanity workouts/week. I'm not in great shape, but i'm certainly getting there slowly.
  • strivingforhealth
    Options
    40 dollars? wow! where!!??
  • TempleFitClub
    TempleFitClub Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started round 2 of Insanity. When I did round 1 in the Spring, towards the end, I added running to my workout routine (c25k program). Insanity is heavy with leg work but I managed a-okay. I am relatively fit. But if you are committed to maintaining and/or improving your fitness and you enjoy spinning, I don't think it is unrealistic to think you can do both. You'll do what holds your interest, what motivates you and what gives you results and empowers you. I definitely think Insanity will do that along with your spinning. And yes, doing it with your wife is doable. Oh...One thing I might point out...With round 1, I never faced my tv when working out with Insanity! This sounds odd, I am sure. But I found it very discouraging that I could not keep up with the ...well...INSANE...pace that Shaun T and the others on the dvds maintain! So, I learned the moves and then would turn and watch my form in a mirror. I completed each exercise at the fastest pace *I* could and stopped beating myself up for not being as fast as Shaun T.

Best of luck to you!!!

Michelle
  • doornumber03
    Options
    Thanks Michelle. I think that's exactly what we are doing. I'm not giving up spinning to do something i may like. I'm going to mix both in. I completely agree that finding something you like is the key so really no need to give that up. Thanks so much for all the responses.