A little help from those of you who have been successful ple

Options
I just started the 30 day shred today, and I am counting and logging my calories but I really don't know what I'm doing. I am a SAHM who has 50+lbs to lose.

Should I eat back the calories I earned from exercise each day?

Can I still lose weight if I can stay within my alloted calories but go over in protein?

I only get 20-30/day to exercise as I have an 8 month old and babysit a 9 month old, is this enough?

Healthy food is so expensive, anyone with tips/tricks for a healthy menu without breaking the bank?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)

Replies

• mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 day shred today, and I am counting and logging my calories but I really don't know what I'm doing. I am a SAHM who has 50+lbs to lose.

Welcome to MFP! I'm sure you'll get 30 different perspectives to your questions. But I'm sure with a little research and trial and error you will figure all of this out pretty quickly.

A highly debated topic here that causes many arguments. Personally, I eat back at least 50% of them. This is where trial and error comes in. I would suggest eating the majority of them back and seeing if it works for you. If it doesn't, perhaps you need to change things up.
    Can I still lose weight if I can stay within my alloted calories but go over in protein?

Absolutely.
    I only get 20-30/day to exercise as I have an 8 month old and babysit a 9 month old, is this enough?

Yep, 20-30 minutes will be fine. Especially as a beginner - you want to ease into your new activities gradually so you don't get burnt out or even injured.
    Healthy food is so expensive, anyone with tips/tricks for a healthy menu without breaking the bank?

No tips or tricks unfortunately. I try to think of it as investing in myself. It costs a lot, but it pays off in the end.

You're welcome! Good luck.
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response, I found it encouraging!:drinker:
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options

I lost 45lb in 3 months... Feel free to add me as friend if you think i can help you :happy:
    I changed my eating habits and did some weight training to preserve muscle.
    You should, but usually MFP overestimates exercise, so most people recommend to eat a bit less than those exercise calories.
    Yes.. i also go over my proteins, my body likes that
    You lose weight by eating less calories than you need each day, period.... Exercise is healthy and recommended, cardio/weight training is very good for your body, but not indispensable to lose weight.
    Chicken (lean meat) and tomatoes are my fav foods
    No problem, see you around!

:flowerforyou:
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I started my weightloss journey when my son was 9 months old. I personally don`t eat back my exercise calories, but I do occassionally use them as a "padding" if I have indulged a bit that day. I know for my body as soon as I start eating them back, I start gaining weight. But it really is trial and error!

You can most definitely lose weight going over your protein, I almost daily go over mine, as long as you are eating lean proteins and not high fatty proteins you should be good!

I understand the lack of time to exercise. I have a 2.5 yr old (now) and I do daycare for a nearly 2 year old and soon another 2 year old. My house is crazy busy!! 20-30 a day is a great start! I also try and get a quick workout in the morning, maybe something low impact like yoga. Then if it's not raining I get the kids outside for a walk, and if I have time at night I try and pop in a dvd, or go for a walk. You eventually learn to work in the exercise!

I am on a limited income, so I buy lots of frozen veggies (and frozen fruit for smoothies) I plan my meals around what produce is on sale, also what meats are on sale.

Best of luck :)
  • sedall
    Options
    Good Luck~! I think regular activity and tracking what you eat and fitting in fruits and vegetables, you'll see results. I keep forgetting that weight loss is a 1 pound per week process and that that can happen with discipline and you don't have to turn everything on it's head to get the long term results. As far as healthy food stuffs, get your meat, veg and fruit, and carbohydrates for the week. Brown rice is cheap (cook it with a tbs of butter and soy sauce for flavor). Steaming some green beans or broccoli for a side and some chicken breast, you have a pretty affordable meal... yogurt, whole grain bread and sandwich meats... I have a weekly shopping budget for 3 aroudn $100, I try to fill it with meals. If you get too much fruit and veg at any one time it goes to waste! I get some root vegetables and apples because they 'live' longer...
  • Leviram
    Options
    Bump to finish reading later.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    On the food expense, I stock up when things are on sale. Dry beans have a lot of protein, are good for you and reasonably priced. I buy large packs of meat and divide at home before freezing because the larger packs are usually cheaper. I buy over ripe banannas on the cheap and put them in the freezer. They make a really good smoothie and by being frozen, no ice needed. I buy fruits and vegetables in season as they are cheaper in season. Eggs and milk have a lot of protein and are cheaper than meats. I love scrambled eggs at dinner. Basically, shop sales, use coupons, buy in bulk and it is nice if you have a freezer. On the protein, the more protein you eat the better in weight loss. Good Luck
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    Do you have smoothies as a meal or as a snack? We dont own a blender currently but I have been wanting to pick one up when I see one on sale.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I quite often have a smoothie for breakfast. A yummy, quick and easy breakfast and they are really filling! Plus there are so many options you don't really get bored! I'd defintiely pick up a blender!
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    protein: Yes, it's good to go over on the protein side! More protein the better.

exercise: for just starting out, I think 30 mins is good. I know Jillian 30 DS is 20 mins. I never felt like that was long enough so I got bored with it. But find whatever DVD works best for you. You should work your way up to 45-60 mins. 5-6 days week. More activity -- sweat pouring, clothes drenched activity = the more you build muscle, which bigger muscle mass burns more calories/fat at rest.

Try to make your life as stress-free as possible. I know having a baby and babysitting another - stress-free is impossible. But try to de-stress your life/environment as much as possible. exercise helps de-stress! Do you HAVE to babysit another child? I know having 2 babies in the home is a lot of work for a SAHM -- for this season of your life -- during this weight loss journey -- you need to focus on you and giving the best of you into your workouts/eating right and then you can be the best mom you can be. Try to de-stress your life as much as possible - less drama, less stress.
    Stress really does activate hormones in the body that make you hold on to weight/fat even when eating less calories/exercising.

Grocery shopping: Like another poster said... good food costs money. try to rearrange your family budget to spend more money here. It's worth it. this is what is going INTO your body and your family's body -- good quality food is worth it. But if you must, buy frozen vegetables - those are cheaper and faster to heat up in a hurry. I like buying a rotisserie chicken (don't eat skin) - and I can eat off that for days. Get salad fixings - and make one big salad, put it in a big tupperware and eat off it for the entire week.

I never really eat my exercise calories. I feel like those are the ones I burned off, why would I want to eat those back when I worked so hard to take it off. But if I slip up a big on a day, I have some cushion room and I don't stress over it.

Drink lots of water. Try to hit 64 oz a day. The more the better to flush your system out daily. Not sure if you drink other things like diet soda, but start to do w/o other drinks especially in the beginning just so you're sure to get all your water in. Diet soda is not good for weight loss.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    fantastic response!

i do have to babysit so that we can pay our bills.... and as far as de-stressing, i have anxiety disorder so this might be hard lol

i plan on also walking outside or on the treadmill once i get into a little better shape (and can breathe after the dvd!)
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    fantastic response!

i do have to babysit so that we can pay our bills.... and as far as de-stressing, i have anxiety disorder so this might be hard lol

i plan on also walking outside or on the treadmill once i get into a little better shape (and can breathe after the dvd!)

OK -- gotcha. Well, do what you can to limit the stress and drama. Surround yourself with positive friends... spend less time/phone time with the ones that complain or are too negative. Try to plan one night a week where hubby can have baby duty (maybe after you put baby to bed) and you can grab coffee or go to a store by yourself. anything to de-stress. I remember those baby days -- my daughter is 2 so it's better now. But I can't imagine being with TWO small babies every day! You need your time out of the house to think -- de-stress and remember what it's like to be YOU and not just "Mom".
    Seriously, see if hubs and you can both agree on one night a week that's your night or one night every 2 wks.... you'll be so refreshed and rejuvenated! You deserve this!