Verdict please: how many calories in 5 oz chicken??

Options
Seriously, everywhere I look, there is a different count! I would like to know how many calories in a plain bbq'd boneless, skinless 5oz chicken breast. I've gotten anywhere from 140 to 330.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Replies

• mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sorry--I just realized I posted in the wrong topic. I'm always in this one, so I clicked the wrong one!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i usually just go by what the package says.. then if i grill or bake it or whatever, i figure in the sauce/seasoning/etc
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    search for generic plain chicken - then search for the bbq sauce (or whatever seasoning you used) to get the most accurate count.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Seriously, everywhere I look, there is a different count! I would like to know how many calories in a plain bbq'd boneless, skinless 5oz chicken breast. I've gotten anywhere from 140 to 330.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
    with bbq it would depend on the sause, you can have anything from a thick sweet sauce that would up the cals. or like a very simple marinade, or dry rub
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If I get conflicting information, I go here: http://www.nutrition.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=11&tax_level=1
    This is the govt website on nutrition - I figure it is as neutral as it can get.
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my packs are usually about 35 cal an ounce....it depends on what you put on it too when you cook it...
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    She said it was plain.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    About 35 calories per ounce. I think if your looking for bbq'd chicken breast they are including sauce. I assume by bbq'd you mean grilled? Anyway, about 35 / ounce plus anything you add to it.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A boneless skinless chicken breast that weighs 4 oz PRE-COOKING is about 100 to 110 calories. I use the Kirkland chicken in the database because it reflects this. Be sure to use the PRECOOKING WEIGHT if you are going by this. After cooking the weight is much different! There's several entries in the database that reflect a COOKED weight and calorie count. Just be sure to read the titles carefully.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    According to this site, it's 230. This is with no skin, no sauces.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

Edit: If it weighed 5oz raw, it's 155.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/701/2
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    She said it was plain.
    But she also said bbq'd which means different things to different people. to me, bbq has sauce and seasonings. If she meant cooked on a grill with no seasoning or sauce, I would call that grilled.
  • mattcoop
    mattcoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cut of chicken...the USDA.gov site is the best location to get the most accurate calorie amount... I created a food item that is USDA accurate for water soaked chicken breasts (to remove the salt brine). Just type in "soaked"... in your food item search and you will see the calories... if you don't "soak".... just double the soduim and it will be correct
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    She said it was plain.

She also said it was BBQ'd.

If by that you just mean grilled, then the MFP entry in the database would be your best bet. It's called "Chicken - Breast, meat and skin, cooked, roasted"

If I put in 5oz (142g) I get 280 calories.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I've noticed this site has so many entries for things like this. all have different amounts. I tried to find 4 oz. of New York Strip steak on here... OMG the calories and protien was so different for each entry I didn't know which one to pick. I looked it up elsewhere.
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think some of the confussion is not due to the chicken but the BBQ sauce on the chicken. For the weight of the chicken did you weigh it before or after you cooked it. This will make a difference as well. Try using the USDA website:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Hope this helps you.

~ Rylnn ~
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    In general lean protien has 30-40 caloires an ounce..... there are tons of 'chicken' listed in the food search.... I usually type in Tyson boneless skinless chicken breast.... then I make sure it has between 30-40 cal an oz.... Calories are not an exact science.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    4 oz. is 120 so 140 sounds right....where did the people get the BBQ sauce? You just asked about chicken?
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    4 oz. is 120 so 140 sounds right....where did the people get the BBQ sauce? You just asked about chicken?
    plain bbq'd boneless, skinless 5oz chicken breast.
    ^quoting her
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    actually she says bbq'd but that doesn't have to mean sauce.... sauce is a whole other catagory!