Hungry....help!

Options
I'm REALLY new to this and want some advice as to what I can eat that will fill me up but with low calories. I find that I focus on the calorie count and then later I'm hungry.

Replies

• Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like to have a piece of fruit when I am a bit hungry, like a plum, I cut it into about 8 pieces and I just sort of leave it on the counter and go to it then go make myself busy doing something, go back to it, have a slice, then go get busy doing something. Also another way to get a few more calories is to exercise and earn them.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A bag of frozen veggies = 100-200 cals.
  • sharilynn25
    sharilynn25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate being hungry... thats why I do Atkins low carb diet. I have never felt so in control of my eating in my entire life! I also have more energy and loose weight while doing it. Ive tried everything else but atkins works... maybe it will for you too! just a thought :)
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love eating sweet potatoes. They are very low in calories and keep my pretty full. I also love broccoli and apples.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Lean proteins: greek yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, lean ham, grilled chicken, canned tuna...
  • Tink1123
    Options
    Well, i find chewing mint gum, helps me lots, but eat a healthful food like an apple or orange.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I too am on the Atkins plan. It has worked really well for me and I am never hungry!!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Carrots does it for me.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    More protein. Try out a greek yogurt (0% fat) and throw in a couple almonds. It's packed with protein, but the down side is that it doesn't have any fat, and fat sends a signal to you brain that says, "I'm satisfied". So the almonds add a little bit of fat so that you can receive that signal-- but not as much as having a full fat greek yogurt would be. It also adds additional protein.

Also, raw veggies.
  • wxgal7
    wxgal7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My hunger is psychological. I was raised in carb heavy south Louisiana. If you don't have rice, bread or potatos you didn't eat a meal so even if I have a balanced meal like a good filling salad with protein I still need a small piece of bread to convince my body that I ate a full meal.
  • sunshinelover22
    Options
    I will snack on a 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds in shells, low sodium ones if I can find. It keeps me busy and kind of tricks me into thinking I am eating more. Also, a fiber one bar (chocolate preferred) will fill me up with a big glass of water. Good luck!
  • jraenash
    Options
    I am at like week 3 or 4 and am finally not hungry during the day- my top things: grilled chicken, avocados, oatmeal and egg beaters. These are my staples and I found that any time I eat these I am more than satisfied for a long time. As a snack, I'll eat pretzels, greek yogurt (vanilla w/ honey drizzled in it) or a special K bar. Fruits are higher in calories, but veggies are very low. (I tend to eat a heavier lunch than dinner so that I am not tempted to snack on high calorie junk throughout the day)

I was hungry for a while but once I got the hang of what foods my body responded to the best, it took care of itself.

Good luck!!!
  • I'm REALLY new to this and want some advice as to what I can eat that will fill me up but with low calories. I find that I focus on the calorie count and then later I'm hungry.

Veggies are more low cal than fruit. You can have a HUGE salad for lunch and add loads of veg on it and end up with only couple hundred cals.
    I also drink ALOT of water - green tea- coffee. I don't use sugar, but 0 cal sweetner (1 tablett in my tea or coffee).. If you are bored of water - adding a couple of slices cucumber- lemon - orange- one strawberry or stuff like that adds flavour without the calorie..

also - having soups and smoothies will be more filling than just a plain old apple hehe :)

oh and if you are still starving- then you can have - air- poped popcorn- whole wheat wasa craker.. fat free jello, hard boiled egg whites..

you really don't need to starve and be hungry to stay low cal :) GL with everything
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Increase protein!!! That will fill you up more then anything.
  • katewayofbeing
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions above - Reach for lean protein like egg whites and plain yogurt, and high-fiber veggies and fruits. Staying away from processed carby foods (like 100 cal snack packs) helps even more. Also, don't be afraid to take a small serving of a nutritious high-calorie food (like raw walnuts or almonds) when you really need something to hold you. I've also heard that cinammon and cayanne pepper send strong "I'm full!" signals to the brain, so I add these to my food whenever I can.
  • AmandaM15
    AmandaM15 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I find 2 egg whites and 1/4 cup (dry) steel cut oatmeal (cooked with water) with lots of cinnamon & a packet of Stevia is a low cal, low fat yet quite filling breakfast. :) Also, make sure you eat at least a little something every few hours to help stabalize your metabolism. Like a piece of fruit or a handful of raw almonds in between meals and drink a lot of water. A glass of room temp water can give you a temporary sense of fullness. ;)
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Protein helps me. I eat almonds, string cheese, yogurt, etc. and it really helps a lot. Fruit and veggies, not so much.....
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I hate being hungry... thats why I do Atkins low carb diet. I have never felt so in control of my eating in my entire life! I also have more energy and loose weight while doing it. Ive tried everything else but atkins works... maybe it will for you too! just a thought :)
    I did the atkins diet once, never again. I lost brilliantly. almost 2 stone in a month! The side effects were awful though. Terrible bad breath, constipation, extreme flatulence, bad b.o however much I washed, feeling absolutely horrible and ill all the time. It certainly wasn't the diet for me. Came off of it after a month, three months later I had put back on the 2 stone plus more. - I wasn't over eating either.

I'm glad it's working for you. Now on a healthy eating calorie controlled diet. Weight coming off slowly and steadily 35Ib since August. I see this more as a lifestyle change rather than a quick fit diet now. Eating what I want, in moderation, feeling better than I ever have before. Lots of fruit & veg which I couldn't eat with atkins. All the best for your journey, but please be careful.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    my top things: grilled chicken, avocados, oatmeal and egg beaters. These are my staples and I found that any time I eat these I am more than satisfied for a long time.

ditto!

i started eating oatmeal (not prepackaged) with some peanut butter for breakfast and it keeps me full for 2-3 hours........

i also love adding avacado to sandwiches instead of mayo or cheese....YUM!