Dark Yellow Urine

Options
Hi ya'll! I have been having very dark yellow urine the last few days, throughout the whole day. It is usually pretty clear as I drink 12 to 14 cups of water a day. I have not changed anything in my diet and do not take any vitamins. Does anybody have any ideas what would cause this? If it continues should I see a doctor? Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you are still hydrating plenty and it is that color, especially for a few days, you should really get yourself checked out. Normally dark yellow is a sign of dehydration.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Eating anything new in your diet? If not, and you are drinking at least 64 oz of water a day, it's worth a call at least to your G.P. it could be a little bacterial thing... or kidney fatigue...
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I agree, usually the dark yellow urine means your body is clinging to whatever water it can. If you are staying hydrated, I'd go to the doctor to be on the safe side!!
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. Dark yellow urine is usually a sign of dehydration. If you are still drinking the same amount of water and nothing else has changed you probably should get checked.
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been prone to kidney infections and UTIs my whole life because of a minor birth defect and have included plenty of water and unsweetened herbal teas in my daily diet for most of my life, but would occasionally pop up with a UTI anyway. Dark/smelly pee was always the first sign that a urinary tract infection was incoming, even before the discomfort began. If I were you, I would avoid any sweetened/carbonated drink like the plague and pop a cranberry pill or AZO until I could hightail it to my GP.

(Just from personal experience, I've found that these can sometimes be triggered by, er, 'rigorous' romantic activities that inadvertantly introduce bacteria into the urinary tract.)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Not even one person on MFP is qualified to advise you. See your primary physician without delay (not emergent). Get that appointment within the next 1-2 days. :)
  • chefchazz
    Options
    agrees...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Could be something serious like Rhabdomyolysis. I would see a doctor ASAP.

Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Some of these are harmful to the kidney and frequently result in kidney damage.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001505/
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'll! I have been having very dark yellow urine the last few days, throughout the whole day. It is usually pretty clear as I drink 12 to 14 cups of water a day. I have not changed anything in my diet and do not take any vitamins. Does anybody have any ideas what would cause this? If it continues should I see a doctor? Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Have you changed your supplements at all? Taken any OTC meds? They both can make your urine appear different as can certain foods. if you have no pain or discomfort not sure you should be really overly concerned after a couple of days.

You can buy the at home tests to see if there are any blood cells which could help you find relief temporarily however if it last for more than a week i would get to the doctor.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    Are you restricting your carbs as in an Atkins-type diet? Provided you're getting enough water, that could be a factor as well.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Not even one person on MFP is qualified to advise you. See your primary physician without delay (not emergent). Get that appointment within the next 1-2 days. :)
    And every response before you suggested a visit to the doctor, I'd say that they gave good advice.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. It could be any number of reasons! Go with a full bladder, they will be asking for a sample.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Some of these are harmful to the kidney and frequently result in kidney damage.

(**shudders.....) Call the doctor.....
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been prone to kidney infections and UTIs my whole life because of a minor birth defect and have included plenty of water and unsweetened herbal teas in my daily diet for most of my life, but would occasionally pop up with a UTI anyway. Dark/smelly pee was always the first sign that a urinary tract infection was incoming, even before the discomfort began. If I were you, I would avoid any sweetened/carbonated drink like the plague and pop a cranberry pill or AZO until I could hightail it to my GP.

(Just from personal experience, I've found that these can sometimes be triggered by, er, 'rigorous' romantic activities that inadvertantly introduce bacteria into the urinary tract.)

My first thought was UTI as well. Is there any other discomfort?
    ABSOLUTELY schedule and appt to see your dr just in case it could be something more serious. And in the meantime (days prior to appt) do as the poster I quoted stated. Pletny of water, maybe even up your intake. Cranberry juice helps too (I have no idea why but my dr has recommended it before).

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some foods, such as asparagus and beets, can cause dark urine. Some diseases including liver infections, haematuria and anemia can also cause it. If it continues you should definitely see a doctor.
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That much water and still dark? DOCTOR ASAP!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Could be an infection....never hurts to get checked out since it's been going on a few days
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

That's a tad but extreme.

Most changes in urince color are due diet and hydration. If she has no other symptoms it's diet or hydration. Though sometimes kidney or bladder infections can be relatively asymptomatic.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options

My first thought was UTI as well. Is there any other discomfort?
    ABSOLUTELY schedule and appt to see your dr just in case it could be something more serious. And in the meantime (days prior to appt) do as the poster I quoted stated. Pletny of water, maybe even up your intake. Cranberry juice helps too (I have no idea why but my dr has recommended it before).

Good luck!

Actually, don't let a lack of discomfort keep you from calling a doc when it comes to UTI...I get them FREQUENTLY and usually don't know until I'm running a fever because I have no other symptoms. The pain with urination symptom my doctor told me is more common in elderly patients and that young people generally don't get the symptoms until it's progressed to the point of danger.