Need Gluten Free Friends.

Options
sam363
sam363 Posts: 204 Member
Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance. I have yet to get the endoscopic procedure to know if it is a true celiac. In the meantime, it was recommended that I eat gluten free. So, I might need a little help now and then. AND new food ideas.

I have discovered Amy's brand frozen foods and soups that are gf. So far I have really liked the frozen meals I've tried. A friend also shared Betty Crocker's gf recipe winners: http://recp.mkt32.net/servlet/MailView?m=5060286&r=NjgwMDQ3MTEzMAS2&j=MTg4NTUyOTAwS0&mt=1

I have a very supportive husband and my kids seem to enjoy gf foods. Here's the thing - I LOVE pizza!!! If anyone has a great recipe - please share!

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I learned by cutting out grains that they were causing me issues (didn't need a doctor or test to tell me that. My years and years of digestive issues went away). You can find a lot of real, whole food recipes on paleo/primal sites since the main focus with this type of lifestyle is no grains, flours, and sugars.

My opinion is that process gluten-free foods is still processed junk.

Mark's Daily Apple has a number of Primal pizza crust recipes (I've tried the one with mostly coconut flour and I didn't like it. Almond meal is a much nicer flour to use). There is also one using cauliflower which I haven't tried but I heard it doesn't get crispy at all.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just started the GF journey this week-although I have cutting out grains here and there over the past few months.

I was not told by a dr but just had some issues and decided what could it hurt......I agree, I only use the processed stuff in an emergency--like when I needed to take a dessert somewhere that I could eat so I wouldn't feel left out.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to gluten free. It's really not that bad.

I've been GF for 3 years. I have not undergone the biopsy to be diagnosed with Celiac (becuase I'd have to start eating gluten again and no way I'm doing that), but I'm pretty sure I have it. And in the 3 years since I've gone GF, my life has been 100% better! You will be amazed how much better you feel in a very short time.

As far as eating, the gluten substitues (purchased breads, pizzas, cookies, etc) are very expensive, taste just OK, and are high in fat and other nasty things. I generally avoid them except as special treats. You're much better off just cutting those things out of your diet and eating naturally GF and unprocessed things, like whole meats and vegetables.

For those gluten-substitute treats, in general things you make yourself will be MUCH better than anything you can buy in a store. I like:
    - Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Homemade GF Bread Mix. I have a bread machine and use that.
    - Namaste brand cakes/cookie mixes
    - Tinkanyada or Ancient Harvest pasta
    - Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix
    - anything by Pamela's
    - Amy's frozen meals
    - Udi's bagels

Pizza is tough, sorry. Godfather's sells GF pizza, which is sorta OK. I often find it disappointing and would rather make my own, but it works in a pinch and they deliver to my house. The frozen GF pizzas are, like most frozen GF foods, just OK.

Since GF foods are so expensive, you'd do well to research products before you buy. The Gluten Free Mall online has great product reviews.

The best thing you can do is learn to cook! You'll save a ton of money and know exactly what is in every bite.

Good luck!
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    And allrecipes.com has an entire GF section here: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/gluten-free/main.aspx
  • sam363
    Options
    First of all, welcome to gluten free. It's really not that bad.

I've been GF for 3 years. I have not undergone the biopsy to be diagnosed with Celiac (becuase I'd have to start eating gluten again and no way I'm doing that), but I'm pretty sure I have it. And in the 3 years since I've gone GF, my life has been 100% better! You will be amazed how much better you feel in a very short time.

As far as eating, the gluten substitues (purchased breads, pizzas, cookies, etc) are very expensive, taste just OK, and are high in fat and other nasty things. I generally avoid them except as special treats. You're much better off just cutting those things out of your diet and eating naturally GF and unprocessed things, like whole meats and vegetables.

For those gluten-substitute treats, in general things you make yourself will be MUCH better than anything you can buy in a store. I like:
    - Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Homemade GF Bread Mix. I have a bread machine and use that.
    - Namaste brand cakes/cookie mixes
    - Tinkanyada or Ancient Harvest pasta
    - Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix
    - anything by Pamela's
    - Amy's frozen meals
    - Udi's bagels

Pizza is tough, sorry. Godfather's sells GF pizza, which is sorta OK. I often find it disappointing and would rather make my own, but it works in a pinch and they deliver to my house. The frozen GF pizzas are, like most frozen GF foods, just OK.

Since GF foods are so expensive, you'd do well to research products before you buy. The Gluten Free Mall online has great product reviews.

The best thing you can do is learn to cook! You'll save a ton of money and know exactly what is in every bite.

Good luck!

Thanks Allison!
    I don't mind cooking at home and generally we have been eating chicken, rice or potato plus veggies. Last night we had a venison roast with fresh carrots, potato and onion from the garden seasoned with garlic and salt, simmered in the crock pot. Super delicious!

The trouble I have is breakfast, snack foods, and treats. I did buy some gf flour to make banana bread. It turned out super moist and very tasty but the flour is SO expensive!!! I might just have to learn to live with out it. Have you baked/cooked with coconut flour? I hear it is still expensive but that you don't need to use a ton.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac a little over a year ago. My diary is open to friends; feel free to add me for ideas/support. <3
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    one of my besties on here is GF and she started a group for y'all:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam... my name is Sam!
    And I am totally gluten free, too!
    If you have a Kroger by you, check out their organic frozen food section. They have a brand of pizza crusts called Kinnikinnick that are really good. They are sort of high in calories though, about 248 cals for half a crust (which isn't a whole pizza crust, it's about the size of those rectangle school lunch pizzas). But they are good for the occasional treat!
    Also, if you have a Magic Mushroom (restaurant) near you, they have a gluten free pizza crust option.
    Good luck! Friend me if you'd like-- I am a host for all sorts of GF info!
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks Allison!
    I don't mind cooking at home and generally we have been eating chicken, rice or potato plus veggies. Last night we had a venison roast with fresh carrots, potato and onion from the garden seasoned with garlic and salt, simmered in the crock pot. Super delicious!

The trouble I have is breakfast, snack foods, and treats. I did buy some gf flour to make banana bread. It turned out super moist and very tasty but the flour is SO expensive!!! I might just have to learn to live with out it. Have you baked/cooked with coconut flour? I hear it is still expensive but that you don't need to use a ton.

For breakfast, snacks, etc, try to stick to things that are naturally gluten free. For instance, cottage cheese with pineapple or tomato, greek yogurt, celery and peanut butter, peanut butter and apple, popcorn, etc.

I would suggest staying away from gluten free products as much as possible, and just focus on things that are naturally gluten free. Gluten free products are great for the occasional treat or craving, but they still contain a boat load of carbs and will increase your blood sugar as much as wheat does. A lot of celiac people tend to gain weight when relying too heavily on these gluten free foods, not only because they are just concentrated carbs and starch (a main ingredient in GF food is potato starch!) but also because they weren't absorbing nutrients to begin with. Once the body repairs itself and starts to absorb nutrients, they start to gain weight. Just something to think about. :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    one of my besties on here is GF and she started a group for y'all:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free

I love you too, dear!

That's my group, I've been GF for over a year and I've NEVER been happier.

This is my favorite GF bread, you have to make it, but it doesn't take a bread maker (major plus):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ilookthetype/view/gluten-free-bread-you-can-eat-untoasted-166266

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac and have been GF for 2 years now. We have a group for GF folks in the groups section. Come join us!
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    For me, breakfast is the hardest meal. Everything has gluten! Even IHOP omlettes are made with pancake batter (found that out the hard way). I should have mentioned before, I love ThinkThin bars. They are GF, high protein (I'm a protein person), and taste great. I always have some with me for emergencies and snacks, and I have one for breakfast everyday. Check Amazon for the best prices. Larabars are GF too. On weekends for breakfast I'll do eggs, a meat like sausage or bacon, and on rare occasions hash browns. Since GF is becoming more mainstream, some cereals like Rice Krispies now have GF versions. Oh and Bisquick and King Arthur flour have GF versions too. Beware GF pancake mixes, they tend to be heavy, more like a whole-wheat pancake. I find I don't feel well after eating them (but my mother still thinks she's doing me a favor by making them when I go visit!)

Regarding flour, never use just one type of flour to bake something GF. You'll have the best results from combining 3 flours in thirds. So if a recipe calls for a cup of flour, use 1/3c of rice flour (the cheapest), 1/3 of maybe cocunut flour or almond flour, and 1/3 c of maybe potato flour, plus xanthan gum. GF baking from scratch is really tough, educate yourself first or you will waste a lot of time and money. Different flours have different attibutes, like high protein, high starch, etc. and flavors like coconut and almond, and you need to strike a balance. This is a decent article to start with: http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Using-Alternative-Flours/Detail.aspx. I'm 3 years in and a semi-professional baker and still find GF baking complicated. Start with mixes for now, and flour substitues like King Arthur and Pamela's that you can substitute 1:1.

BTW one positive thing to think about - when all the Christmas treats roll around, you won't even be tempted! I never gain at the holidays anymore because I can't eat any of that stuff.

Even on the hard days, I try to remember that it could be worse. For me a major symptom was artiritis in my hands and fingers. I could barely move my hands. At age 27 I was facing a life of assisted living from what I thought was severe RA. I was devastated and very depressed for 10 months. Then I found out it was gluten and - insert angel song here - all I do is not eat gluten. No drugs, no side effects, no PT, no expense. Just don't eat these certain things, and I'll be fine. It was a gift - I got my life back. I think that's one reason this lifestyle has been pretty easy for me. It could have been so much worse. Yeah, some days it's hard, but if you have a good attitude about it, you'll find it much easier.

Speaking of good attitude, did you know Celiac also affects your brain? It messes with all the chemicals your brain needs to function properly. I've been moody and prone to depression and aggression since puberty. Now I'm happy and bubbly and positive, nice and with a smile for everyone. My friends were amazed. Now that I'm better (and it takes about 2 years for your intestines to recover), I can see all kinds of physical changes. My eyesight improved, my attitude improved, my teeth improved, crazy stuff like that. The weight didn't come off though!

Oh, take vitamins ASAP. You're probably anemic among other things. I still take iron religiously and I notice if I skip a couple days.

I know it's overwhelming at first. It will get easier, I promise.
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    I would suggest staying away from gluten free products as much as possible, and just focus on things that are naturally gluten free. Gluten free products are great for the occasional treat or craving, but they still contain a boat load of carbs and will increase your blood sugar as much as wheat does. A lot of celiac people tend to gain weight when relying too heavily on these gluten free foods, not only because they are just concentrated carbs and starch (a main ingredient in GF food is potato starch!) but also because they weren't absorbing nutrients to begin with. Once the body repairs itself and starts to absorb nutrients, they start to gain weight. Just something to think about. :)

100% agree!! I dropped a few pounds at first but gained it all back pretty quickly. It's rare that I eat any processed GF product anymore, they're not worth it except as an occasional treat.
  • karins4
    karins4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance. I have yet to get the endoscopic procedure to know if it is a true celiac. In the meantime, it was recommended that I eat gluten free. So, I might need a little help now and then. AND new food ideas.

I have discovered Amy's brand frozen foods and soups that are gf. So far I have really liked the frozen meals I've tried. A friend also shared Betty Crocker's gf recipe winners: http://recp.mkt32.net/servlet/MailView?m=5060286&r=NjgwMDQ3MTEzMAS2&j=MTg4NTUyOTAwS0&mt=1

I have a very supportive husband and my kids seem to enjoy gf foods. Here's the thing - I LOVE pizza!!! If anyone has a great recipe - please share!

Did the doctor tell you to go gluten free before you go for the procedure? Mine told me to wait until afterwards because when you go for the test you need to have gluten in your system for them to tell if you have celiac. When you go gluten free your body will start to heal and then all they will see is that everything looks good. When I had the EGD done they did a biopsy, which came back positive for celiac, and they could see the damage from the gluten but if they were to test me now they wouldn't see anything wrong.

I've heard from friends who went gluten-free to see how they felt but then have to back on gluten for the testing even if they were feeling better. Something you might want to ask your doctor about.
  • karins4
    karins4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

100% agree!! I dropped a few pounds at first but gained it all back pretty quickly. It's rare that I eat any processed GF product anymore, they're not worth it except as an occasional treat.

I agree! I'm trying to cut back on the GF products and look for more naturally GF foods...so basically trying to eat more fruits and veggies in place of GF snacks. :-)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    At IHOP tell them you're allergic to the pancake batter and they will leave it out of your omelet.

Chebe makes a good GF pizza crust that uses manioc root flour.

Lots of fresh veggies, fruits, lean meats -- all are GF. The more you can stay away from the processed GF stuff the better your body will feel and the better your weight loss will be.
  • AllisonMart
    Options
    At IHOP tell them you're allergic to the pancake batter and they will leave it out of your omelet.

Really? When I asked that they told me the mixture comes in pre made and they couldn't separate it. Then I asked if they could just crack some real eggs and she said mo. Come to think of it, maybe I just have a bad IHOP!
  • sam363
    Options
    Hi all,

Did the doctor tell you to go gluten free before you go for the procedure? Mine told me to wait until afterwards because when you go for the test you need to have gluten in your system for them to tell if you have celiac. When you go gluten free your body will start to heal and then all they will see is that everything looks good. When I had the EGD done they did a biopsy, which came back positive for celiac, and they could see the damage from the gluten but if they were to test me now they wouldn't see anything wrong.

I've heard from friends who went gluten-free to see how they felt but then have to back on gluten for the testing even if they were feeling better. Something you might want to ask your doctor about.

I did ask about it but she wanted to try an elimination diet first. I had the blood test and it came back negative. It's very frustrating but I've noticed that when I do eat gluten that my stomach will grow 5-6 inches within an hour of consumption along with severe abdominal pain and nausea. She recommended that I try eliminating then if I try some and feel like I want the test then I can call.
  • sam363
    Options

Really? When I asked that they told me the mixture comes in pre made and they couldn't separate it. Then I asked if they could just crack some real eggs and she said mo. Come to think of it, maybe I just have a bad IHOP!

In Minneasota we have the Original Pancake house that has gluten free pancakes among other items. It's a heavenly treat!
  • ashleycat23
    Options
    I need to look at those recipes when i get my computer back ( my phone is awesome, but somethings deserve a full screen :p)
    I am g-free for sevetal months now. Never felt better!
    I keep a stash of almonds and thinkthin bars in my bag at all times.