Motivation for exercise in the morning

Options
Hey all, my schedule only allows me to workout in the mornings and lately I have been finding myself hitting the snooze button about thousand times and next thing I know it's too late to fit in my morning jog. Does anyone have any motivation tips or ideas to make it easier to get out of bed. I'm really not a morning person. :sad:

Replies

• Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Perhaps meeting some other 'regulars' of the early morning hours would make you feel like you should go? There is a core group of five of us that go to the gym EVERY morning at 6, and if I don't go because I'd rather sleep, I feel guilty and have to answer to them the next day.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Oh I suffer from the same problem! First off I would recommend turning on your heater or setting it to turn on before you wake up, I found the warmth helps me to get up easier, second set your coffee maker to the time you want to get up so the smell of the fresh brew comes through the house. I always have a small cup with a hard boiled egg or a toast before I start working out cause I cant workout on an empty stomache. I think the first couple of days is the hardest, once I get past that and get on a routine 5am doesnt seem so early however I wont lie its tough hang in there you can do it! Oh and make sure to get plenty of sleep so maybe try going to bed a half hour to an hour earlier at night :-)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30am 4 or 5 days a week to get to the gym before work. I REALLY want to sleep in, but I force myself to just get up and out of bed when the alarm goes off. Tell yourself that you'll regret not going, but you'll almost never actually regret exercising. Try going to bed earlier so you're not actually tired.

I make it as easy as possible for myself in the morning; I have my lunch packed, breakfast (protein shake) ready to go, gym bag packed, and my gym clothes are all laid out ready to go. All I have to do in the morning is put on my gym clothes, feed the cats, drink the protein shake, and head out the door.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock in the bathroom.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Use an alarm on your phone and put it at the other end of the house so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have to take the "option" out of it. When my alarm goes off, it's not up to me whether I get up and work out. It's going to happen, period. :)
  • Tatiana1221
    Tatiana1221 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a workout partner/ bff that I go to the gym with. I figure by the time I finish work and finish with the kids and homework, there's no time in the evening. Morning workouts are a great way to keep me motivated!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that it will suck getting out of bed now and it will still suck getting out of bed an hour from now, so I might as well just get up... then I remind myself how fantastic I feel after my workout. Also I set one alarm on my night stand so I can hit snooze once or twice, then another alarm across the room for the time I actually need to get out of bed. Give yourself a non-food reward for making all your planned workouts for the week or month.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I procrastinate to get to the gym. But once I'm there, I'm on fire because I have to get it done before going to work! :bigsmile:
  • mcosme25
    Options
    I agree with the last post. I just started in a group fitness class called Body Pump and Body Vive. It starts at 5am and the woman there are encouraging and if they dont see me for one morning I hear it! Accountability is certainly a winner for me! Also getting adequett amount of sleep will help. If your waking up at 5am better get in bed no later than ten. You have to want the change ! You burn 3x the calories working out in the morning that is motivation alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do this girl.
  • JenM610
    JenM610 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the warm house and coffee idea. I hate getting out of a warm bed and trying to get my workout clothes on while my teeth are chattering. I'm definitely going to try to hide my alarm clock so that it forces me OUT! :happy:
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Call me guilty. I've slept in my workout clothes, woken up, brushed my teeth, put on my shoes and went to the gym. hahah :blushing:
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Agg. Wrong thread
  • JenM610
    JenM610 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh great idea! My running pants are made out of Lycra I think and should be pretty comfortable to sleep in.
  • mcosme25
    Options
    Whatever works! Dont feel bad! Feel good cause your getting the job done!!!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    All suggestions I've used.. put your alarm clock across the room ,sleep in your workout clothes. however, mostly it just not even giving yourself the option to argue. you have to get up, no ifs ands or buts about it. You will feel better when you start. I will always argue with myself and its probably always gonna be that way!