So hard starting!

Options
Today was the first official day of my "weight loss" I did enough cleaning to burn at least 400 calories. (Had to deep clean house for children's party on saturday). While I tried to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner I found myself getting nauseated in between meals and snacks as if I were actually hungry. But, alas I didn't break down and scarf food.

Breakfast: 1 cup cheerios, 3/4 cup milk
Snack: String cheese 2% milk.
Lunch: 1 cup cheerios 3/4 cup milk
Snack: 1 slice 100% whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
Dinner: Grilled chicken breast sandwich with a piece of cheese and 2 slices of bacon, and a piece of lettuce.

Sounds like you'd be full huh? well during the day I seriously thought I was going to throw up once because I was so nauseated.

any suggestions?

Replies

• Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What are you set on? When I tried to lose 2lbs a week I had to admit it was not reasonable. I felt ill and was miserable. You won't succeed if you are miserable. Maybe start at 1lbs a week or even 1/2lb losses a week and slowly escalate it to 2lbs a week. Slow progress is hard but at least it is progress.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Add some lean protein to lunch?

It takes time to change habit. Good luck!
  • stemen2011
    stemen2011 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set on 2lbs a week, I was thinking maybe cutting back to a 1lb a week for now and then slowly increase.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    More lean protein and fruits and vegetables as well.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I found it better. My fiance had to talk me in to trying it slower. It was clutch for me. But the other suggestion of higher protein can help, higher in fat (healthy fats, no transfats) can be a real help with that full feeling. I also adore food like popcorn where I get a larger looking serving for the calories. This means I can eat it one at a time and it "lasts" for 1/2 an hour.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i'm starving just by LOOKING at your menu! I tried to look at your diary, but it's locked. Curious to know what your calories are set at? If you don't add protein and fiber to each meal, you'll ALWAYS feel hungry. Think eggs for breakfast, chicken for lunch, fish or lean beef/pork for dinner.............. complex carbs like oatmeal, whole wheat bread or whole wheat pasta will also help you feel fuller for longer because it takes your body longer to process them.............
  • glad23
    glad23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I skip the cereal and eat oatmeal with fat free milk it keeps me full for a longer time
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Rather than jumping in head first and making millions of changes all at once, why not gradually ease yourself into it by making one small change at a time? Too many people try to do too much too quickly and fail as a result. When I started, the first thing I did was to give up chocolate. It was a tiny, almost meaningless change in the grand scheme of things, but soon after I made another change, and another, and before long I was being far, far healthier than I had ever been before. And because of the way I gradually introduced the healthy things into my routine, it felt completely natural and it didn't feel like I was depriving myself or making drastic changes and doing too much.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set on 2lbs a week, I was thinking maybe cutting back to a 1lb a week for now and then slowly increase.

do that. and then after a few weeks as you get used to it, you can go to 1 1/2 lbs a week. but try and come as close to that number as possible, and if you go over it by a little, no big deal.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough...and as others have said, eat more lean protein because it takes longer to digest and has you feeling fuller longer. eat more fiber as well.
  • stemen2011
    Options
    Rather than jumping in head first and making millions of changes all at once, why not gradually ease yourself into it by making one small change at a time? Too many people try to do too much too quickly and fail as a result. When I started, the first thing I did was to give up chocolate. It was a tiny, almost meaningless change in the grand scheme of things, but soon after I made another change, and another, and before long I was being far, far healthier than I had ever been before. And because of the way I gradually introduced the healthy things into my routine, it felt completely natural and it didn't feel like I was depriving myself or making drastic changes and doing too much.

Awesome advice, thank you!
  • stemen2011
    Options
    i'm starving just by LOOKING at your menu! I tried to look at your diary, but it's locked. Curious to know what your calories are set at? If you don't add protein and fiber to each meal, you'll ALWAYS feel hungry. Think eggs for breakfast, chicken for lunch, fish or lean beef/pork for dinner.............. complex carbs like oatmeal, whole wheat bread or whole wheat pasta will also help you feel fuller for longer because it takes your body longer to process them.............

I just unlocked it, didn't know it was locked haha
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    start slowly so you can build new habits that you can sustain. Setting a 1lb a week goal is a good idea. That will give you a whole 500 extra calories a day. I noticed you didn't list much in the way of fruit and veg or salad. They are really good for helping to bulk up your meals so you don't feel so hungry. They are also really good for keeping your digestive system healthy and for a healthy immune system. Are you drinking enough water? That can make quite a difference too. Don't give up, just learn from today and see if the changes you make help you at all. Well done for today. You have made a great start. I'm sure you'll find it so much easier tomorrow with those extra calories :happy:
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Eating more at the beginning of the day helps me stay full. One of my go to breakfasts consists of 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup turkey sausage crumbles, salsa, and either a tortilla or piece of toast. Protein will keep you full longer - try to eat it every 3 hours.

Honestly though, I was more hungry the first few weeks too. I would sit at my desk at work and brainstorm all day about what I could and could not eat - which just made the hunger worse :)
  • JenM610
    JenM610 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As with the previous posts, definitely try to get in more protien. Some low sodium turkey jerky is yummy and maybe trying to add some more fiber to your diet. It makes you feel fuller for a longer amount of time. I love Fiber one bars!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1 string cheese wouldn't fill me up as a snack and I doubt it would fill up too many folks. for similar calories, you could have a nice big juicy apple, a pear, a cup of raspberries (or blueberries/blackberries)...quite a variety of veggies that are too numerous to list...any one of which is more likely to fulfill you between meals.

cheerio's (any cereal for that matter) is simply not ideal for giving you energy and filling you up for any length of time. for similar calories, you could eat 2 or 3 whole eggs...or 4 ounces of chicken or 6 ounces of fish (rough estimates).

if you're only going to have one protein meal (not recommended), I'd rather you have that earlier in the day to help tide you over longer.

EDIT: I meant to add protein powder as a possible snack substitute. excellent source of protein and if you get one that is limited in carbs/fat, its a pretty manageable amount of calories.
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Why isn't anyone suggesting fruits and veggies? Everyone says protein and yes that is good but fruits and veggies are low calorie and filling. As I look at peoples menus they aren't hardly eating any of them. This isn't healthy. Try eating an apple. It takes time and it fills you up. Not to mention the vitamins.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I"d be full? NOT! Sounds like I'd starve!!

Protein and fiber will help you stay full! A meal should be a combo of protein, carbs and/or healthy fats. Try to get a lean protein source in every meal and snack. (chicken, fish, lean beef, turkey, shrimp, greek yogurt, whey protein, etc) Pair the protein with healthy carbs (veggies, whole grains, high fiber/low sugar cereal, etc). Cheerios are very low calorie because they don't have much, if any fiber. So, cheerios with a little bit of milk (still not enough protein in my opinion) is not going to keep you full! How about 1 egg plus 2 egg whites on a piece of whole grain bread or english muffin? You can even add a slice of reduced fat cheese. Or good old fashioned oatmeal and eggs?

Your string cheese snack should be paired with a piece of fruit or handful of almonds, etc. (protein plus carb or protein plus fat)

You can bulk up all your meals by adding lots of fiberous veggies!
    Drink lots of water!
  • KarenWas
    Options
    Definitely not enough food...everyone has given you great tips so I won't be redundant but best wishes for your future eating plan.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Why isn't anyone suggesting fruits and veggies? Everyone says protein and yes that is good but fruits and veggies are low calorie and filling. As I look at peoples menus they aren't hardly eating any of them. This isn't healthy. Try eating an apple. It takes time and it fills you up. Not to mention the vitamins.
    Good point on adding veggies! However, I am not sure of fruits. Myself never have had luck with fruits. They can be calorie loaded, too!