1200 calorie minimum question

So, I ate 1223 calories today, but with exercise my net calories are at 962. Do I need to eat more to avoid the dreaded "starvation mode" or am I ok? Thanks :)

Replies

• mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    they say to net no less than 1200 cals/day :happy:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/388941-great-article-on-starvation-mode-and-why-most-of-us-don-t

Whether or not 1200 is the absolute minimum is more of an opinion than a fact (as far as I know). Personally I try to not go under 1200 too often because my body needs the fuel.

(Just a reminder that the "Search" above will give you tons of results with great information)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    So, I ate 1223 calories today, but with exercise my net calories are at 962. Do I need to eat more to avoid the dreaded "starvation mode" or am I ok? Thanks :)

yes, eat more. & search more.
  • mpetrovic
    mpetrovic Posts: 14 Member
    My nets have all been under 1000...I eat around 1300 but I workout everyday and that lowers it A LOT. I have kinda ignored it? I guess that isn't good...
  • Your body won't go into starvation mode in one day. It actually takes 3-4 weeks of severely curtailed calories to send your body into super-storage mode. If I'm hungry, I eat back my exercise calories. If I'm not, I don't. If you have true cravings (not just habitual munchie-type craving), your body is telling you it's out of fuel and you need to eat.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Experiment with it. Find what works for YOU. Everyone will scream at you on here abotu eating them back, but you don't HAVE to if you are not hungry. As long as you are eating healthy, you are fine. I tried eating back my exercise calories and I gained. Now that I don't eat them back, I am losing. Just find what works for YOU.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member

I'm going to get ripped apart for this, but... It takes more than one day with a few hundred calories deficit for that to happen. I personally refuse to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry just because I'm under 1200. I've never gone into "starvation mode" having a day here or there once in a blue moon under 1200. That being said, I'm talking about it happening occasionally, not as a daily thing.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member

I'm going to get ripped apart for this, but... It takes more than one day with a few hundred calories deficit for that to happen. I personally refuse to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry just because I'm under 1200. I've never gone into "starvation mode" having a day here or there once in a blue moon under 1200. That being said, I'm talking about it happening occasionally, not as a daily thing.

You're not going to get ripped, but everyone is different. Me on the other hand, I eat. I eat and eat and eat more. But I eat GOOD food. Veggies, proteins, no junk. When I ride my bike and burn 2400 calories, I eat those back, I'm usually with in 50-150 of my net goal. It will def take more than one day to get into starvation mode. But why start?

A lot of people I see on here will make an excuse to eat something they shouldn't, eat more than they should, and just call it "tomorrow is a new day" - well if tomorrow keeps being a new day, you're never going to get anywhere.

79lbs later, it's worked for me.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    One or two days below 1200 won't kill you. Just don't make an habit out of it!