Overcoming Food Weaknesses?

Options
What are your food weaknesses and what do you do to compensate for cutting out your favorite but not-so-healthy foods?

My weakness is coffee, which is not so bad since I don't like really sweet drinks anyway. The problem is that I get a nice rush from it, and it curbs my appetite for a little bit, but when I come down I feel like I need to eat - anything in sight!

Replies

• CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    MY WEAKNESS IS *SUNFLOWER SEEDS*!!! I HAVE TRIED TO KICK THIS HABIT FOR SO LONG & MY DOC SAYS WITH ALL THE SODIUM IT IS NOT GOOD FOR ME!

... I CALL THEM MY SMOKES! NOT THAT I'M A SMOKER, BUT I'LL RATHER SMOKE SUNFLOWER SEEDS THEN NICOTINE! :smokin:
  • razorspells
    Options
    Mine is anything chocolate, I replaced it with raisins and cereal bars but still in moderation :smile:
  • mpetrovic
    mpetrovic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I slowly weaned myself to drink black coffee because it not only takes away the bad sugar/fat from the milk, but also because I drink less of it. Also, black coffee is calorie free! I drink a mug every morning with my food so I still get the energy rush, but the food I eat with it keeps me going past the end of that rush!

Whenever I want something (like icecream or just "one" tiny french fry) I remind myself that I made a commitment to MYSELF. I view weightloss as a long-term relationship where I have to stay loyal and love myself. I deserve to reach my goal, and indulging in these whims are "cheating".

Try to find a way to find healthier substitutes. Like cold milk instead of Icecream. Carrots or pretzels instead of french fries.
    It will be worth it in the end!
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Where do I start?

Starbucks hot chocolate.. went from full fat with whip to non fat with no whip (210? cals) to the starbucks powder with almond milk (140 cals) so I haven't kicked the habit but I've definintely helped my calroie count.

Cookies with milk... I binged yesterday and had some nilla wafers and a glass of milk. they were good..oh sooo good. I haven't kicked this habit yet.. not sure if I will.

Snacking in general.. chose healthier options like popcorn with cinnamon sprinkled instead of butter, grapes in a collander in the sink so when I would come into the kitchen I would eat those and leave because I always wander into the kitchen for something to munch on.

I almost forgot to add Nutella.. no replacement yet.. I just stopped buying it.
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    MY WEAKNESS IS *SUNFLOWER SEEDS*!!! I HAVE TRIED TO KICK THIS HABIT FOR SO LONG & MY DOC SAYS WITH ALL THE SODIUM IT IS NOT GOOD FOR ME!

... I CALL THEM MY SMOKES! NOT THAT I'M A SMOKER, BUT I'LL RATHER SMOKE SUNFLOWER SEEDS THEN NICOTINE! :smokin:

Amen to that! Sunflower seeds are good for vitamin E, magnesium and selenium, a trick I learned to not eat so many is to buy them in the shell so you have to work to get at them, and for the sodium, go to a natural store or like Whole foods and get the ones that are roasted without salt!
  • ctcislo
    Options
    I give myself a freebie once a week. I have totally changed my diet, and my exercise as part of my transformation, but lets face it, not everyone around me has. So to prevent myself from being a total health nut with my friends, I will indulge one time a week. It may be dessert after dinner with friends, or some cake and ice cream at a B-Day party. I make the commitment that it will only happen once a week, and it won't be the end of the world.
  • rarou12
    Options
    Hi Miss Sara Jane,
    Maybe if you find a tea that you like also, you can work on replacing a coffee a day with tea instead. Personally I think that Chai makes a good replacement. If you like milk in your coffee, try making a chai latte. I hope this helps. I can't seem to stay away from sugar personally. -Rachel
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Mine was wheat wheat wheat! bread, crackers, bagels, pastries, cookies, flour tortillas, dumplins, scones.. anything made with wheat. I could very easily eat a whole box of wheat thins! I read the book Wheat Belly and it prompted me to kick the wheat for good. I no longer crave it. I do occasionally have a little - on a splurge day - but other than that - no wheat for me!
  • miss_kisha
    Options
    Whenever I want something (like icecream or just "one" tiny french fry) I remind myself that I made a commitment to MYSELF. I view weightloss as a long-term relationship where I have to stay loyal and love myself. I deserve to reach my goal, and indulging in these whims are "cheating".

I LOVE this way of thinking, I am a very loyal person, so I can relate that to weight loss and finally see some long term results! :love:
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Mine is beer and whiskey! I use to drink every weekend. Now I only drink about every 6 weeks. Put a damper on the fun, out going me but my health is worth it.
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    Any restaurant food is tough for me to stay away from. Especially when cooking for my husband and I, 7 days/week (he doesn't cook) gets exhausting. My biggest weakness is Pizza... I know should stay away from it but it's tooo good!!! Lately I've been fitting it into my food plan anyway (no more than once/week) however, I try to make it healthier by skipping the meat, adding more veg and sometimes getting thin crust.. this is a HUGE change from how I used to be! I used to never care what was on it, how much of it I was eating or how often! So I haven't 'Overcome' it but I have altered it into a somewhat healthier option! :wink:
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Pizza... I have replaced it with less pizza.
  • miss_kisha
    Options
    Mine is beer and whiskey! I use to drink every weekend. Now I only drink about every 6 weeks. Put a damper on the fun, out going me but my health is worth it.

Used to be one of mine too, until I started to feel sick and full after one serving! I'm one of those people that drinks because I like the taste of alcohol, not because of the feeling. I feel like such an old drunk lady when I have to say "I can't drink like I used to" - but it's true!!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up coffee cream. I love coffee so much. I did switch to half caf recently so I wouldn't annoy my coworkers so much.

I also drink tea and diet coke, and while those are good too, I still want my coffee every day.
  • loraflock
    Options
    I didn't stop eating what I like...I just eat less of it and I prepare it differently. Truthfully it works and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself....I LOVE CHOCOLATE but it's not something that I can have every day and when I do I only take a bite or two. I firmly believe that if you try to completely cut out what you really love, you are setting yourself up to fail....remember it's not a candy bar once every 3 or 4 weeks that makes you fat...its the one a day that makes you gain weight.