Is it true? Same thing= no results?

Options
So I've been doing the same workouts for awhile now and I don't think they are doing too much for me anymore. Is it true that after a while your body just gets use to it and doesn't burn as many calories? If yes, what do i do about it? Thank you!

Replies

• kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Change, try something new. The same old workouts get boring and you may not be working out as hard as you once was. Variety helps to jumpstart your weight management program. Don't give up.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's true. The answer is easy, mix it up and do different things/times/intensities.
  • NeverQuit222
    Options
    you can do the same workouts for a while actually. you just have to increase one or all of these things. 1.repititions 2.resistance 3.weight used.
    ive been doing a lot of the same workouts and just gradually adding these things on and i keep seeing results haha
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're weight training, you will want to increase the weight you are lifting every session (or as often as possible).
    For cardio, increase the intensity.
  • WhitneyJerome
    WhitneyJerome Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? usually you just need to increase intensity or just add some extra time on to your workout. Also through some different things in. Do some strength training if you weren't before and drink more water. I'm no expert but I hope this helps. =)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    definitely true. trainer says that you have to be sore most days to see results. not sore as in you cant walk sore but some discomfort.I do yoga, zumba, treadmill, elliptical, jazzercise,etc. If you do the same thing all the time, you get the same results. just as if you dont break your bad eating habits, you will not get healthier!try something different that you think you will love. I get bored so fast that I have to mix it up.classes are the best for me as they go by so fast!
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In High School our trainer always talked about FITT (Frequency, intensity, time and technique.) If its not working for you try a differnty workout. Don't want a new workout? Change the frequency of your workout, the intensity, or how long you do it for =]
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Thw workout itself doesn't need to change, but intensity should progressively increase.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Okay i can increase the intensity of kickboxing/ tae-bo and maybe switch days with yoga and rebounding. Thanks so much for the help!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    The same types of exercises trains our bodies to do those particular exercises so the body adopts and it isn't quite as intense of a workout. I also believe that it is not as good for you as doing the same type of exercises all the time as this will often train some body parts over others. Sometimes when people get injured from training, I believe it's because of the lack of variety and, possibly, some muscles being under-trained while others are over-trained and it creates an imbalance. In any given week, I might do run/jog/walk intervals, lap swimming, cardio kickboxing, spinning, bike-riding outside, hydro-fit, yoga, weight-training, elliptical, treadmill, zumba, C25k run, or just a long walk up/down some steep hills by my house. I never do the same exercise routine more than once in the same week. Well, except weight-training which I try to do at least twice a week. I do this partially because I get bored easily but, also, to mix it up so my body is always kept guessing and so that I'm not running that risk of over/under-training various muscle groups. They're all more likely to get worked out at least a couple of times a week by varying things.