emotional eating...Help!!!

Options
I am starting to understand my emotional eating triggers..or at least notice them. Today at work I am having a pretty rubbish day, so totally over it and all I want to do is eat something to comfort myself or make myself feel better... but I know that if I did eat something I would actually feel worse!

The craving is very strong, I am drinking lots of water and I am not even hungry, I just want to eat bad food!!!

ANyone else have constant struggles with emotional eating? How do you overcome?

Also I could do with some friends for support and encouragement so go ahead and add me..please.... :love:

Replies

• theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I found myself in tears late last night and with out even thinking I had all the food out of the fridge and in front of me. After just a few bites I was able to calm down a bit and put it away. I have no answers as to how to control or over come it but wanted to let you know you are not a lone.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Just look at the food and be like... "You don't own me!" >.>

*z-snaps*
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i am the same way. i just started talking about it in therapy. thinking about seeing a nutritionist.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Just look at the food and be like... "You don't own me!" >.>

*z-snaps*
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's hard alright. I've pretty much cut it out over the last six weeks (and my mum died 3 months ago and we've had very complex issues with her estate!).

Some of it is actually tolerating feeling down/bad for a while instead of trying to eat the feelings away. But then you get to feel proud of yourself and enjoy your weight loss, so it's long term gain over short term pain.

Also:

* Express your feelings - blog, talk to someone, write a journal, shout, sing etc.
    * Find other ways to nurture yourself - nap, meditate/pray, massage, yoga, bath, gentle walk, enjoy nature, etc etc.
    * Keep reaching out to others - work on building up your relationships and opening up to others.

Good luck on your journey!
  • jdrzal
    jdrzal Posts: 21
    Options
    It is def hard when you have a craving! It is normal. My advice would be when you have that craving, (if you can) write down how your feeling and why. Also, try to keep your mind busy. Your body isn't craving what you want, it's your mind. If its still an intense craving, have half of your craving. No one is perfect and thats the beauty in life. :smile:

When i experience emotional eating, it is very hard for me. All I wanna do is through in the towel. But I think of my goals to stay on track.

Good luck!!!!!!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I used to be a VERY emotional eater.... then it really hit me one day that I was not eating as a way to make myself feel better, it was to punish myself for whatever was wrong. Even if it wasn't my fault! Kind of like saying... "screw it, no one else cares, so why should I!?" When I had that realization is when I really started getting a handle on that. I still automatically want something "bad" for me when I have a really bad day, but can step back and think before I do now.... please let me know if there is anything I can do to help... I'll do what I can to listen, let you vent and encourage you! :flowerforyou:
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    LOL, love the Z snap!
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling.. When I get mad, or sad this is when I usually eat.. I am also trying to learn how to control and the most popular thing bored it's like I am on the sea food diet.. I am a SAHM and if I am home all the time I want to eat so now I am trying to learn some self control.. So I try to keep my self busy and try not to think about it.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Do something physical to get your frustration out. I would just get up, and if you can, get outside and go for a walk for at least 15 minutes or so. Don't walk slow, walk at a quick pace, get your heart rate up, and get some of the frustration out by pumping your arms or something. Or, go someplace where you are alone so you don't feel silly and just do punches in the air. Imagine you are punching whatever is stressing you. Make sure you use your whole body - I don't know if you've seen or done any kickboxing moves, but they are so great in getting stress out. If you put a lot of energy into it, it can really drain that intensity and anxiety out of you. You'll feel so much better afterwards.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    sorry I just noticed that you said you were having the issues while you're at work. If you can, I know my ex-employer would let us get out and take short walking breaks. Also, if you have a stairwell, you can try to escape just for a few minutes and do the stairs. Anything to make yourself feel positive, confident, and more successful than your cravings.